to set oneself a goal

• Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Hello everybody,

im writing articles for pokerstrategy and one of my new articles will be "to set oneself a goal" so i thought, why not aks our users if you set yourself goals.

Of course im aiming at goals for poker. For example which limit do you want to reach within a certain time frame?

Kind regards,
      Stefan
  • 37 replies
    • MrDownswing
      MrDownswing
      Basic
      hi,

first of all let me say thx for this generous offer. As you can see im quite new to pokstrategy. this is my first post.
      But my goal is to become a gold member at the end of the year so i can also have a look at the pro boards. But we will see what happens.

bye bye
      David
    • mbrav
      mbrav
      Bronze
      I would be happy to beat this damn 0.15/0.30 limit at the end of next month
    • SlannesH
      SlannesH
      Black
      I would like to hit the bad beat jackpot ;)

Hm but a goal.... make it to the final table in an larger event would be nice (again), the mio gtd for example ;)
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Hi Slan, but at least you as a high stakes player, don't you have more detailed goals.

Like for example playing NL2k in 3 month or something like that?

Kind regards,
      Stefan
    • SlannesH
      SlannesH
      Black
    • Blinzler
      Blinzler
      Bronze
      my goal is to beat 5/10 by the end of the year.
    • HoRRoR
      HoRRoR
      Black
      well i want to beat the 100 and 200$ sngs, but actually i am playing the 55$ and cashing out my whole winnings and don't even try to move up.
      i am quite satisfied at the moment, i am much more into my education (university) right now, than i am into poker, just earning enough, that i don't have to worry about how much money i can spend
      but actually an hourly rate about ~200$/hr would be very nice, but this also has sideeffects.
      i might turn into full time and i quite don't want it, maybe after i completly finished my education... :)

wow what a confusing post, changed my mind 3 times during the writing :)
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Blinzler
      my goal is to beat 5/10 by the end of the year.
      but it will be hard to get there :)
    • SlannesH
      SlannesH
      Black
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      My goal is to have a winning ratio of 1+bb/100 at 20/40 with at least 40.000 hands played at the end of july 2007. Ok that would be my long term goal for the next 6 month. but at the moment im playing at 5/10 and bulding up my bankroll for 10/20 :)
    • Blinzler
      Blinzler
      Bronze

Originally posted by SlannesH

not when you are pokergod himself, but for us less talented it is pretty hard. :)
      I just don't really understand why I can't beat it because there are lots of fishes whom I think i should beat, but who for some reason always end up with my money. Maybe its denial of lacking skill so I guess I will just have to keep improving my game.
    • Axel80
      Axel80
      Bronze
      Hi all,

my goal for this year is to beat NL50. I think it's quite a long way to go cause I don't have that much time for playing poker at the moment. I'm actually starting playing NL10 with the big-stack-strategy, after playing a lot of SSS up to NL25.
      I think if you set yourself goals, they have to be challenging and not easy to accomplish.

So far
      Axel
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      ... but don't forget if your goals are to far out of reach it can have a very demotivating effect..

The best thing is to find the perfect center.

but more about that in my next article :D

Kind regards,
      Stefan
    • HoRRoR
      HoRRoR
      Black
      well stefan, think that's not true...

my goals are far in future, because if you once reach your goal, it kind of sucks i think, or better to say, it sucks if you reach it too fast.

i put some private goals as far as ten to twenty years in the future and they still keep on motivating me...

after you reached your goal there's a hole which you have to fill and just simply put in another goal of the same kind, but e.g. even higher limits, isn't that good, i think
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Sure you are right Horror if we talk about "life goals".

That is also the reason why there are shortterm and longterm goals :)

And longterm goals for your life should of course last at least 10-20 years.

But let's say you are better then you think and you will reach your lifegoal in 5 years instead of 20. What will you do? Stop improving? Stop setting yourself goals?

No you won't. There will be a new goal for you which is going to motivate you for the next 15 years and so on.

What i want to say is that the length of your goals is not that important. There are other things that define a goal but more about that in my next article .... :D

Kind regards,
      Stefan
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Hi frzl,

my experience showed me that "almost" everybody can reach 3/6 SH with a little bit of effort.

That means doing 3 things:

1: visit the puplic coachings (in your case visit Blinzlers coaching, the coaching offers will increase soon) - For everbody interest in the puplic coaching have a look at the teamspeak guide to get started: http://www.pokerstrategy.org.uk/en/articles/78/

2: read our articles: I often see that people still aren't able to handle the starting hands chart but already start to work with the intermediates section. Master the easy stuff first.

3: Post Hands as much as possible: VERY IMPORTANT! The best way to improve quickly. Especially at the moment, the situation is perfect for all beginners. We are just getting started here at our english section and the traffic is not much yet. But that will change soon. But at the moment if you post hands you have the complete attention from all high and mid limit players which are here to help you. So try to get into a good starting position.

If you do these 3 things constantly the question is not if you will beat 1/2 SH it is only when you will beat that limit.

Kind regards,
      Stefan
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Stefan1000
      Hi frzl,
      hi :)

my experience showed me that "almost" everybody can reach 3/6 SH with a little bit of effort.
      hm would be great but we will see

1: visit the puplic coachings (in your case visit Blinzlers coaching, the coaching offers will increase soon)
      2: read our articles: I often see that people still aren't able to handle the starting hands chart but already start to work with the intermediates section. Master the easy stuff first.
      3: Post Hands as much as possible: VERY IMPORTANT! The best way to improve quickly. Especially at the moment, the situation is perfect for all beginners. We are just getting started here at our english section and the traffic is not much yet. But that will change soon. But at the moment if you post hands you have the complete attention from all high and mid limit players which are here to help you. So try to get into a good starting position.
      i did this quite often and i think you are right by saying its so important. i think i will start posting hands in the english part of the forum.

If you do these 3 things constantly the question is not if you will beat 1/2 SH it is only when you will beat that limit.
      hm i hope you are right about that... i really do :)
      but so far: thx for giving me some confidence ^^
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      I am looking forward to your hands in our sample hands forum.

In general:
      Everybody should realize that within this forum there are people like me, Cyfron, the coaches or everybody else working for PokerStrategy, who are only interested that others get better poker players. You won't find that very often.

Of course we are not doing that because we are so unselfish :D
      Definetly we have a financial interest in producing winning players. But hey, that is a good deal i would say :) Like i said in a different thread a perfect Win-Win Situation.

Anyway...

Kind regards,
      Stefan