This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Question about calculating hand

• culoonto
      culoonto
      Basic
      Hi. I'm a new poker player.
      I just saw this video from MIT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62nDLA_A8gs
      At 11:10 the presenter show how to calculate the equity at the river. He get 44 total combinations. AK, AQ, AJ, A9 and A8 beats him always. AT beats him half the time. But then I really don't understand how he can say that he wins 11/44 combinations. I says something like "so each time we actually get half the pot. So I'm I'm gonna make that equivalent to us winning three of those times of us losing three of those columns which is equivalent in expectation". Well.. how did he estimate that? Wouldn't it be the same to say something different like "win 4 of that 5 times and lose 4 of that 5 times"? I mean, summed is always 1/2. And where does 11 exactly come from?
      Thanks
  • 3 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      Hi culoonto,

Welcome to PokerStrategy! :welcome:

In the video the guy used a range of A8+ for the villain. When we take card removal into account (some combos are blocked because the cards are already on the board) then that range would have total of 44 combos.

AK, AQ, AJ, A9 and A8 beats him always.
      Actually we beat A8 on that board. So we beat 8 combos.
      Then AT would be a split. AT has total 6 combos. Because that is a split, you could basically say you win 3 combos and lose 3 combos.
      --> this means you can add those 3 combos to the 8 combos of A8 that you win --> you win 11 combos out of the total 44 combos.

I hope this clarified things :) So basically when you have combos that are a tie, you can think that you win half of them. And the 11 combos came from adding that half to the other combos we win.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by culoonto
      Well.. how did he estimate that? Wouldn't it be the same to say something different like "win 4 of that 5 times and lose 4 of that 5 times"? I mean, summed is always 1/2. And where does 11 exactly come from?
      Thanks
      Hi culoonto,
      To help understand this more, you can download the free Equity calculator "Equilab"

In that tool, you can computer your hand to ranges that you think the opponent might have.
      plugging his ranges into Equilab we get:

Board: A:club: 9:heart: 2:diamond:  3:spade:  3:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    75.00%  68.18%   6.82% { A8s+, A8o+ }
      MP3    25.00%  18.18%   6.82% { AsTc }

la55i gave the reasoning in detail.
      I really encourage you to download Equilab and work through the equity calculations as you study.

The basics are these:
      For any two ranks -- let's use Ace and King
      There are 4 suits, so the cards can be matched up 4 x 4 ways, for a total of 16
      Since there are 4 suits, 4 of those combinations are the suited combos: :Ac: :Kc: :Ad: :Kd: :Ah: :Kh: :As: :Ks:
      The other 12 are off-suit combos:

All the best,
      VS
    • JimmkCZ
      JimmkCZ
      Bronze
      free Equity calculator is very good but the human is better, the brain is more than soft