about a table

• 6 replies
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Sure that is what we are here for.

First of all you should also take a look at this article: http://www.pokerstrategy.org.uk/en/strategy/38/

It explains the odds and outs principle quite good.
      Also in this article you can find a more simple odds and Outs table.

Example:
      Preflop: Hero is Button with 9:club: , J:club: .

Flop: (4.80 SB) 7:club: , 5:club: , A:diamond: [color:#0000FF](4 players)[/color]

Here you have 9 Outs. because there are 9 more :club: in the deck which will propably give you the best hand.
      So you go down on the left side of the table to 9 outs.
      If you have 9 Outs you need Pot Odds of 4.

That means: The pott must be 4times bigger then the amount you have to invest to see the next card.

Example:
      Preflop: Hero is Button with 9:club: , K:club: . CO posts a blind of $0.35.
      UTG calls, [color:#666666]4 folds[/color], CO (poster) checks, Hero calls, [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], BB checks.

Flop: (4.80 SB) 7:club: , 5:club: , A:diamond: [color:#0000FF](4 players)[/color]
      BB folds, [color:#CC3333]UTG bets[/color], CO folds, [color:#CC3333]Hero ???[/color]

The Pott is 5.8 SB big. 4.8SB from the Preflop action and then another SB after UTG bets. You have to invest 1SB to see the next card. you have 9outs and you need pot odds of 1to4. You have Pot Odds of 1to5.8 in this example.
      So you have an easy call here.

You know, you won't hit your Flushdraw all the time so the pot must have a certain size so that it is profitable for you to continue investing money into this hand.

Don't worry about the 2.5,3.5,...X.5 Outs yet. First try to understand the concept between odds and outs. The Article mentioned at the beginning will help you much more then my text here.

But as usual if you still have problems to understand this don't hesitate to contact me again and i will help.

Kind regards,
      Stefan
    • rmandrei
      rmandrei
      Bronze
      ok so 9 cards out of 43 favours me. that means i have 1/4.7 ~ chances of winning, so 1/5 . why 4 pot odds then ? and how am i supposed to get 4 pot odds with 3 Clubs ? people will fold.

and since i have big chance of getting that flush, why does the pot odd matter that much ? u mean... u dont want me to raise since they would probably fold (it will be kinda obvious that im waiting for a flush and i have good chances getting it)? and just call if they call ? but what if they check ? i can win less with a good hand.

also please explain the "hero" term
    • rmandrei
      rmandrei
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Stefan1000

The Pott is 5.8 SB big. 4.8SB from the Preflop action and then another SB after UTG bets. You have to invest 1SB to see the next card. you have 9outs and you need pot odds of 1to4. You have Pot Odds of 1to5.8 in this example.
      So you have an easy call here.

Don't worry about the 2.5,3.5,...X.5 Outs yet. First try to understand the concept between odds and outs. The Article mentioned at the beginning will help you much more then my text here.
      i didnt really understood this either...sorry but im kinda new to poker and i dont know the terms.

SB = small bet. its another name for " ante " ?
      if u could explain that like u would to a total newbie i am, would be great :)
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Ok here we go:

First of all, PLEASE read this article: http://www.pokerstrategy.org.uk/en/strategy/38/

Everything about Odds and Outs is described very detailed.

The Odds

Probability gives the chance that an event occurs. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1. In contrast to probability, the odds express the chance that an event will not occur. For poker, it's easier to use odds. Odds are expressed as a comparison between the desired and undesired outcomes. In our example with the flush draw there are 47 possible turn cards. There are 52 cards in the deck, I have 2, 3 are on the flop and the other 47 are unknown to me and therefore are possible turn cards. Of these 47, 9 are good and 38 are bad. The odds are 38 to 9 (conventionally written 38:9). We simplify this to get a 1 on the right hand side, 4.22:1 (divide 38 by 9). The number on the left expresses the chances that the event will NOT occur. The event "gutshot straight on the turn" is the 1 and "not straight" is the 4.22. As a further simplification, let us round 4.22 to 4. Now the odds 4:1http://www.pokerstrategy.org.uk/en/ and click on "Strategy" at the top. There you will find all important articles.
      The articles are exclusively designed for Poker beginners. So you should have an intense look at them.

Kind regards,
      Stefan
    • rmandrei
      rmandrei
      Bronze
      i started reading the begginers guide.. but i got stucked at one point and i didnt want to go further without understanding, thats why i asked here :)
      tnx
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Ahh ok, sure np.

On the first hand, it seemed like you didn't wan't to read it and instead ask everything here. Im sorry that i misunderstood this.

But anyway, you can never ever ask to much questions, so keep on asking as much as possible.

As you know we can only be successful if you become a good poker player.

Kind regards,
      Stefan