Why play SSS?

• mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Hi all!

I usually play SNGs and I was looking into diversifying a bit into cash games. I've tried FL and SSS. Fixed limit is sometimes boring. It's not as exiting as NL cause you can't go all in=) But you still get quite a lot of fun when there are big fights for a pot.

Then I tried SSS and now i'm wondering WHY would anyone ever play SSS???

First of all, its SO BORING that it's impossible to play less than 4 tables (falling asleep). Secondly, you can't buy out a part of your chips (at least at pacific) so you have to leave the table when your stack increases. So you always face a pain in the arse of jumping tables.

It is more like playing roulette with +EV than poker.

Other players hate you cause shortstack is like a poker-table-parasite=)

Am I missing something or is SSS really that bad?

I've heard that its a good way to build your bankroll, but it seems less quick than SNGs anyway.

I lost about $10 playing SSS on 3-4 tables for 3 hours NL10 and following the PS guide. I guess its bad luck, but it completely made me hate SSS =)

Can anyone tell me the good sides of SSS, or should I stick to FL. At least FL is fun...perverted, but fun=)
  • 32 replies
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      To make money ;)

Yep, you are missing something

SSS is not borring
    • rex99
      rex99
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mChavez
      Then I tried SSS and now i'm wondering WHY would anyone ever play SSS???
      because it is profitable.

people don't play poker for waste time, they play for winning $$$. :P

Someones prefer Fl, NL BSS, NL SSS, that depends on each one preferences.

If you didn't like SSS there is no problem choosing other variance or strategy to play =D
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Originally posted by mChavez
      FL is fun...perverted, but fun=)
      +1

im not a big fan of SSS, i think you learn more about poker if you play deep NL or FL
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      because in some sites is the only option if you want to play no limit cash games with a $50 starting capital.

also it's quite easy to mass multitable which comes in handy for chasing bonuses and stuff.

I don't play it anymore , and that's why I'm silver :P
    • wuusaa
      wuusaa
      Bronze
      to pay the bill ;)
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Yeah, SSS is basically steady winnings. Less variance, and you don't really learn much about poker (I know experienced SSS players won't agree, but little do I care). It is indeed easier to multitable since you only play a few selected hands and have an easy decision on the flop. But personally I also think it's boring, and sooner or later you'll want to play BSS anyway, and it's handier to make that switch early on to gather more experience.

That, and the winrate is bigger :)
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      Yeah, SSS is basically steady winnings. Less variance,
      wait, what?
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      SSS is fun if you play in 16+ tables :P (you have all-ins almost every 5 minutes xD ).. and works bonus whoring :D

But seriously, I rly played a lot of it (went up untill nl25) and I switched to BSS, which is way more fun, and more profitable at least for me till now.
    • ovechkin91
      ovechkin91
      Bronze
      i agree, SnGs are alot more fun and more profitable (for me atleast)
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Ok, so the only argument is that it's higher earnings given higher variance... Not good enough for me cause higher risk practically always = higher expected earnings. It seems that the variance is practically the same as playing DONs one-two limits higher than you should if to follow your BRM.

I got the idea with clearing bonuses. It looks like its the fastest way to wager and rake, so that's helpful. Although FL generates rake too.

Any other arguments in favour of SSS?
      I guess I'll give it a try later anyway, but it seems quite a useless thing for me at the moment.

Thanks for your replies.
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      SSS is basically steady winnings. Less variance
      You are delusional...

Get real and don't speek when you have no idea :evil:
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Don't laugh at me but what's SSS and BSS and all these abreviated terms you'r all using?
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      SSS - Shortstack strategy - playing with 20bb
      BSS - Big stack strategy - normal 100bb deep poker
      NL - No Limit
      FL- Fix Limit
      DON's - double or nothing sit'n go tounaments
      BRM - bankroll managment

Best,
      Kukki
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Ok, played more NL20 SSS today and it seems to be rather easy money. I think I might play a few tables of SSS while playing FL or sngs (I had no problems combining them all so far), but I still can't get it how some people just play SSS all the time=)

Cheers!
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kukkiwonBG

You are delusional...

Get real and don't speek when you have no idea :evil:
      Played both, sir, speaking (note the correct spelling) from my own experience. If you wish, though, I can play 10k hans SSS while you play the same volume BSS on my limits, see who gets the most variance.
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      First of all you exp don't matter at all

the standard variance is SSS is 28-30 bb/100, in BSS SH is 95 bb/100, but this is exactly what I'm saying

If you play a usual week of 15k hands, and have a very bad streak of - 2 standard deviations of the mean.

You will have 34-37 BI downswing SSS
      on BBS you will have 11 BI

Second, wtf do you think you can impress me with you "challenge"

First of all I'm pretty sure I played higher limits SSS than you
      And second you may play higher then me SH, but probably not for long if you play as you speak things that you don't know in the forums.
      GET REAL

Best,
      Kukki

P.S. The spelling is all right this time
      Thanks for the lesson. You really teach me this time.

http://cherufe.mybrute.com
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      If you play a usual week of 15k hands, and have a very bad streak of - 2 standard deviations of the mean.

You will have 34-37 BI downswing SSS
      on BBS you will have 11 BI
      Considering a SSS BI is 1/5th of a BSS BI, you will have lost about 35% more money playing BSS on the same limit, according to your explanation. So I still fail to see your point.

Second, wtf do you think you can impress me with you "challenge"
      It was a proposition, not a challenge, and the "impress" thing is just something you made up to reinforce your little verbal war, defending your ego. Pretty much your entire post is filled with ad hominem arguments to prove how much cooler you are than me, which I find irrelevant and redundant. When you get past your anger, please reply back.
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      ok. I wil try to make my point clearer

If you are playing SH you will use let's say 35BI rule. So after that swing you will have 71% of you bankroll still present

If you are playng SSS with lets say 50 BI you are going to play one level down and with around 34% (if you go down on the lower limit with 25 BI)

Sorry for being angry

Best wishesh,
      Kukki :P
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      And the money don't matter

If you have $100k bankroll, you will not care about $1k

But if you have $250, losing $200 will be like hell.