This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Straight probabibilities

• luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      - What is the probability of hitting a straight when you have 3 connected cards on the flop?
      - And what is the chance of hitting the other side of a straight when you have a gutshot draw with three connected cards on the flop.

I couldn't find an answer to these question anywhere.
  • 9 replies
    • martizzo
      martizzo
      Bronze
      If you have OESD on 3connected board then you have 8 outs.
      So straight probability is 8: (52-5) -> 8:47 -> 1:47/8 -> 1:5.875 -> 1:~6

If you have gutshot 1:11,75
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      I think you misunderstand me. In the first example you have to hit twice and in the second one you can hit either once or twice.

Scenario 1 (example): you have 7, 8, 9, T:6 R:5 or T:6 R:T or T:T R:J (in all examples T and R can be swapped, but that doesn't matter, I suppose)
      Scenario 2 (example): you have 5, 7, 8, 9, T:6 R:x or T:T R:J (T and R can be swapped again, of course)
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello luitzen,

If you hit an OESD on the flop then you have odds of 2:1 with 2 cards to come and 5:1 with one card to come.

Likewise for a Gutshot Draw you have odds of 5:1 with 2 cards to come and 11:1 with 1 card to come.

The following articles may be of some help to you:

Mathmatics of poker: Odds and Outs

Mathmatics of Poker: Implied Pot Odds

The Odds Chart

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luitzen
      Scenario 1 (example): you have 7, 8, 9, T:6 R:5 or T:6 R:T or T:T R:J (in all examples T and R can be swapped, but that doesn't matter, I suppose)
      Scenario 2 (example): you have 5, 7, 8, 9, T:6 R:x or T:T R:J (T and R can be swapped again, of course)
      I think you're being impossibly difficult :D

What are your hole cards? Or are you talking about the board making a straight??
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      lol you've all got it wrong. the probability of hitting a backdoor straight after you have 3 card OESD on flop is (8/47) * (8/46) = 2,9%. basic maths!

oh and for the 2nd question, even though i didn't exactly understand it, but i guess you want to make a straight out of like 78T, right? well then it's (4/47) * (8/46) = 1,5% (first you hit the gutshot to make OESD and then complete a straight).

Regards,

Primzi
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Why wouldn't it be (8/47)*(8/46) since there's one card left?
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Regarding scenario 2: I haven't thought of the scenario you just created, but I was talking about a situation where you have 3 connected cards and a 4th card so that there would be one gap between the 3 connected cards. You can create the straight my filling the gutshot as well as by adding two cards at the other end.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      oh ok... then it's just

(4/47)+(4/46) - gutshot (17,2%)

+

(4/47)*(4/46) - two cards to complete straight. you have same chances with AKQ to hit JT. (0,7%)

=

17,9%

your chances don't improve much :( .
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      These situations are interesting if you hold, for example J 8 and the flop shows 9 3 2 and you suspect your opponent has an over pair or AK and he raises.