Eskojones' FL Adventures

• eskojones
      eskojones
      Bronze
      Eskojones' FL Adventures

This will be my blog relating to my experiences with Poker, first a bit about me:
      Name: Duncan

Up until now...
      Around May last year I became interested in Poker (HE precisely) after a friend linked me to a blog regarding how to build a Poker Bot (computer program to play online poker rooms without human interaction). While I am a programmer, the 'art' of the game itself appealed to me more (No, I do not have/use bots) and so I decided to read some basics and began playing on PokerStars for playmoney, at around 40k chips I realised how stupid everyone was playing because there was no real risk so everyone just ended up calling to the river to see what you had anyway.

Because of this, I quickly made an agreement with myself that I would deposit $10 into PS and play the micro-stakes FL ring games to work on my general game -- with the understanding that if I lost $10 at 2c/4c it would be back-to-the-drawing-board for me (and no subsequent deposits until much later).

I broke even in most of my sessions, but then computer games took over my interests once again and my interest in poker died off -- Until around two weeks ago when I realised I'm quite bored of first-person shooters and World of Warcraft. I think Google found PokerStrategy for me, and so I brushed off my brain a little and passed the quiz to see what the deal with this $50 bankroll was (I figured there was a catch :) ). Amazed to wake up the next day and find $50 in my FTP account, I was given a ton of motivation to really get on top of my game!

So in advance, thanks PokerStrategy -- and I'll be posting my progress as the story unfolds. :D

Since joining PS and studying...
      I have decided to grind on SNGs at FTP to cut down on variance as I believe I play SNGs much better than ring games, here's my progress. I know its hardly anything but at the moment I have quite a few distractions while I play them so I'd rather pick and choose carefully when I decide to register in them.

...and everyone loves graphs here so...
  • 13 replies
    • anstaendig
      anstaendig
      Bronze
      I hope you'll succeed and improve your game, I'll stick around...
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      i would wish u gl but it comes breakeven over long term, so i wish u much sucess in playing and to move up fast :)
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      Hey nice beginning to your blog! Nice to meet ya in IRC, good luck with the sng's!
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Nice blog and great results so far!

I just want to warn you though. Playing SNGs definitely does not mean less variance.

Anyway, GL to you and if you have any questions or need a little help getting started just ask..
      Lubor
    • eskojones
      eskojones
      Bronze
      Thanks for the support :D
    • anstaendig
      anstaendig
      Bronze
      Aren't the SnG's more variance than cashgames?
    • eskojones
      eskojones
      Bronze
      Hey all,

Started the day with 4 table 2c/4c FL at stars, as usual I made some costly errors at the very start of the session. I think I played 'by the book' from hand 150 onwards, and made some good folds (couple AA/KK/QQ that turned out to be dead at the flop) which saved my balance a lot :D

Heres the graph:

And some evidence of the poker gods smiling down on me...

Thankfully both of them held up and you can probably guess where it occured on the graph. ;)

Time for some lunch and another session!
      GL :)

EDIT: Forgot to post last night's session!

Was running real nice but it was 2am and I needed some rest.
    • eskojones
      eskojones
      Bronze
      Gday all,

Well I havent had much hands-on play time this week. Passed the 4k hands mark earlier tonight, havent felt like SNGs for a few days though.

Heres a graph, I joined PokerStrategy at about hand #2000.

Having more fun 3-4 tabling 2c/4c and 5c/10c FL at the moment.

Nothing else to report. :P
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      nice going up, keep the good work :)
      Dollar here dollar there, and u r soon a millionare. Well it doesn't go so fast, but is nice to climb up steadly isnt it?
    • eskojones
      eskojones
      Bronze
      So I've dropped like $5 in the last 2 days from a combination of tired/agitated play (last night) and just getting suckout after suckout (today). Only played a few hundred hands in both sessions however so I plan on turning today's effort around somewhat -- luck willing.

It is a rather sudden downswing though so truth be told its probably not variance alone causing it. Just seems like my SHC play is perfect and the flop misses or villian(s) hit runner runner flushes everytime I have something worthy of playing. So I'll be putting in some extra effort to ensure I'm not being "taken to the cleaners" when I do get a good starting hand.

Will update with results.

GL.
    • anstaendig
      anstaendig
      Bronze
      You keep your head straight and crush the micros!
    • eskojones
      eskojones
      Bronze
      Well I decided to play some SNGs at Stars after running about as bad as I can imagine running in FR cash game. Nothing spectacular but no yelling at my computer, either. ;)

That just about cancels out my terrible sessions from the other night and yesterday. Think I'll keep the SNG grind going now that I compare results :P
    • eskojones
      eskojones
      Bronze
      Once again I havent been putting in much volume at all, but on the plus side I have been reading ALOT about poker (FL specifically).

Here's my overall SNG (all STT except 1x 45man at Stars) progress so far...

Full Tilt

PokerStars

Hopefully find some time to put in lots of new results soon.

GL.