How fast should an average bankroll grow?

• mChavez
      Hi all!

I've been playing for a month and a half now and I've only doubled my BR.

For the first 3 weeks my main aim was to improve my sng skills and bankroll growth was secondary objective. Everything was fine until a big downswing (combination of bad luck and bad mistakes). My sng skills have increased significantly though.
      Then I decided that it was time to build my BR, so i started playing more, but the BR jumped to $100 and then never moved in 3 weeks despite many hours of playing.

Is this a common situation? How quickly do bankrolls usually grow?

My bankroll is stagnating like a packet of crisps on a roof! 0_0
  • 12 replies
    • cannell555
      Hi mChavez,

How long is the "average" piece of string?

It's impossible to say. IMO, just concentrate on getting better, don't even worry about your bankroll for the 1st few months.

With good play, it will rise. With worrying where it "should be", or how well other people do, It will fall.

• darkonebg
      Your bankroll swings will depend on your skill level and the aggressiveness of your BRM.
      There arent any fixed rules about it, some people are struggling for months while playing breakeven, while others go sky up in 3-4 weeks.It depends also on the volume you have been putting during those times.
      Just consider the rules,BRM,and ,study,play,evaluate,analyse and then start all over again, and your BR will inevitably grow.
    • Dragar
      Hey.. am on a break even strech for 10k hands now. To be exact I am 3.5$ down.

I roughly play 25k hands a month.

It really doesn't matter that much.

Overall my BR is 9x as big as when I started playing seriously, hence if I break even for a month I don't mind. Just means that I probably have some leaks and so on.

Just focus on you game and not on your BR in the beginning.
    • Alverine
      I just neeed to tell my experience

My BR growed very fast till $100, and then I started college and quit poker. This week I was on holidays and played the whole week. 284 sessions and breakeven (little loss to be exactly)

Its so frustating, but I know im playing my best and eventually I will grow.

• NightFrostaSS
      If there would be no breakeven/loosing stretches in poker our member Dickbrkr would be crushing Ivey now.
      As for sngs, the variation is pretty big here + after having 284 sessions and finishing break even, i really doubt that you still can play your best game (even if you think that you do). Taking a few days off could help. Also you could work on improving your game at the time being off the tables.
    • viewer88
      average bankroll only shrinks (or is it just mine?)
    • VirtuaGod
      Originally posted by viewer88
      average bankroll only shrinks (or is it just mine?)
      :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    • AndySk
      the more you have, the more u can play with and the more you win :)

of course if you won all the money in poker and not only made a simple deposit thx to ur job
    • cvora
      Only 2-3% of people who play poker can realy live from it. And how they do it?? They sit on table where blinds are small( for them) and big for You, and they push, push and push, and u must make mistake, and then they go up and u go down. Rich gets richer. I play poker for very long time (live) and for about 8 months online, and i can tell u that make money from poker is extremly hard, and just think, someone must to loose constantly, if u earn constantly, and thats imposiblle.... Only possible if u are on table with complete donkeys, but they must sit with you on same table always, and loose, loose and loose, day after day..... Best of luck in try to get rich from poker. See ya on main event ;-)
    • purplefizz
      if you started with the $50 from PS and it grows, the potential is infinite because you got money without putting in any :)
    • Hackett77
      I started with the $50 near the end of Feb and now im on $600, took a while to really get moving but now its nice and consistent .

I really only play cash games though,odd SNG but not really my thing
    • Dragar
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      If there would be no breakeven/loosing stretches in poker our member Dickbrkr would be crushing Ivey now.
      This is so true.

dickbrkr can beat Ivey by just playing the board and putting mask tape over his screen so that he cannot view his hole cards.