With or without HUD?

• flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      I'm currently not using a HUD as my laptop seems to be too slow with the party poker software to enable me to multi table, its ok as long as it doesn't have to resize the tables in order to view the stats(Tried using party tools for this). At the minute I play 6 tables at a time and have them all showing on the screen, but they are obviously too small to read any HUD details.
      Currently playing NL5 and my profit is 3/100bb, I think I could improve these figures with a HUD. Could somebody please give me advice on the best table layout to use a HUD thats managble(Cascaded tables?) and how many tables are playable whilst interpreting the HUD for a begginer?
  • 11 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      You can crush nl5 without hud while 6tabling pretty easily, if you strugle to do that, you'd better play 4 tables instead of 6 and just work on your game more. As for the hud, yeah, it could help you to win slightly more, but at the same time slow down your improvement as a poker player, so i wouldn't avice using it.
    • flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      It would be very handy to have to see tight opponents 3bet range as I have pushed with Ak/QQ before and lost after a 3bet, feel as though I am behind preflop to some players that 3bet me. Whilst as you pointed out many players on NL5 have far wider ranges and a push in the same situation would be the right call.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      it could help you to win slightly more, but at the same time slow down your improvement as a poker player, so i wouldn't avice using it.
      1st part: YES, i agree 100%!!

2nd part: just wtf?!

flopraiser:
      It's better to start using stats as soon as possible so you won't have to change your playing style and won't have to learn to adapt later on higher limits. Just start with few basic stats (up to 4-5) and add more and more later on. Make sure you fully understand each of those you use and you rely on. Don't overestimate them because players on the micro-low limits like to change their style quite often and with some more specific stats look for big samplesize (some are not accure after 500 hands so useful only on regulars).

Using HUD can multiply the number of tables you're able to play IMO, so it's all about practice. Look for the simpliest available table layout without neccessary backround pictures and similar stuff which can cause your HUD being unreadable (or hard to read) sometimes.
    • flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice, would you recomend using the Elephant HUD or the Poker Tracker HUD. Which is more user friendly and easier to view?
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Go for Elephant in the beginning. It's easier to set up (there's not much to set up in other words) and looks better :P

There're not many stats and functions you need in the begininning so even Elephant has less of them, it won't affect you. It's for free of course..

The main problem can be performance, because it requires quite a lot resources.

So, try it, ask questions, ask more questions and master it!

:spade: Good luck at the tables! :spade:
    • flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      Using Pokertracker as I tried Elephant but it is too slow, will try the 60 day trial. Didn't have any problems configuring the HUD.

Stats i'm using on the table:
      Hands
      VP$IP
      PFR
      Total Agression Factor
      Fold BB to steal
      Att to steal
      Att to steal and fold
      3bet preflop

Stats i'm using post flop as a pop up when needed:
      Fold to F CBet
      Fold to T Cbet
      CBet Flop
      CBet Turn
      WTSD
      W$SD

Any others I may have missed that may be needed?
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by flopraiser
      Any others I may have missed that may be needed?
      I play FL SH so can't answer this.. That kind of question should be posted in NL Strategy forum maybe.. you'll get much better feedback ;)
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by opal99
      Go for Elephant in the beginning. It's easier to set up (there's not much to set up in other words) and looks better :P
      Hmm, I'll take that bet. My PT3 HUD is dead sexy!
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Hmm, I'll take that bet. My PT3 HUD is dead sexy!
      I use PT3 and my HUD is better than yours... :P
      In the beginning it doesnt matter imo, because there's no need to use 50 stats I use ;)

An what I said is that Elephant looks better than PT3 overall, not just HUD.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      An what I said is that Elephant looks better than PT3 overall, not just HUD.
      Ah my mistake. I can't use Elephant anyway since it uses .Net. Maybe with the Intel 7 ...
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Hello flopraiser,

I agree you actually don't need a HUD to crush NL5 if you stick to the strategy, but it is useful to get used to it now, you will use it later when you climb the limits.

As for the stats you use, I personally recommend you start with fewer numbers, because well, it's better to get used to the basic stats and add more while you climb. I currently use my HUD as this playing from NL5 to NL25 (I have BR on different rooms):

#of hands
      VPIP - PFR - AF - WTS
      name
      Fold BB to steal - Open Raise Late Position - c/bet - Fold to c/bet

And, I only look at the stats above name (vpip, pfr, af, wts) if i have a small sample, I actually don't think I have taken a decision merely based on stats below name, they surely give you an idea of who is your opponent, but basic ABC poker just works for low limits.