This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Ask Barry Carter Anything to win a copy of his new satellite book

• BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      As you may know, our long serving editor Barry Carter has just written his third book, Poker Satellite Strategy, which he wrote with professional poker player Dara O'Kearney.

Dara one of the most successful live and online tournament players ever from Ireland, he is known as 'Doke' online and has over $3 million in online cashes, as well as eight PocketFives Triple Crowns. He is sponsored by Unibet Poker and is the co-host of The Chip Race Podcast.

Barry has been with PokerStrategy.com since 2011 so naturally he wanted to give some members of our community the chance to win a free copy of his new book.

All you have to do is ask him a fun question in this AMA thread. It can be anything from questions about satellites, what it's like writing about poker for PokerStrategy or even just what is the deal with his stupid face?

On March 15 Barry will pick out the three questions he thought were most interesting, entertaining or useful and awarding the member who asked them with a free copy of his book.

• 61 replies
    • Post removed

• BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Example: What's with your stupid face?
    • Juelz84
      Juelz84
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      OK, Barry. In all honesty, how long did Dara have to reason with you to let go of the "Fold Everything" cover?
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by Juelz84
      OK, Barry. In all honesty, how long did Dara have to reason with you to let go of the "Fold Everything" cover?
      This is what he is talking about, little joke cover I made when we announced it

Dara is so easy going I think he might have happily kept it, but his wife was not having any of it
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Are you rich yet?
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by UPAY4DINNER
      Are you rich yet?
      No but we did have a surprisingly good first week with the book, so you never know.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Did Jared require much in the divorce?
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by UPAY4DINNER
      Did Jared require much in the divorce?
      Jared actually appears in the book (we have a mental game section) but yes in secret I think he is absolutely crushed.
    • rompas
      rompas
      Do u have a split personality? i get confused when i see you write about yourself in 3rd person
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Will you consider writing the next one with me? A book of my life advice for youngsters

I'm thinking "How to fail at everything but still.... "

Also, Will you help me finish the title?
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by rompas
      Do u have a split personality? i get confused when i see you write about yourself in 3rd person
      LOL. Its always been my dream to win a big tourney so I can 'interview myself'
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by bradomurder
      Will you consider writing the next one with me? A book of my life advice for youngsters

I'm thinking "How to fail at everything but still.... "

Also, Will you help me finish the title?
      I think you should call it

BTW if you are referencing this, I do like this book

• CptJokerFish
      CptJokerFish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BarryCarter
      Can you answer this question please?
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by CptJokerFish
      Can you answer this question please?
      Yeah it's always been a tricky one. I first realised it was stupid when it became apparent I looked really stupid in a hat. Definitely the biggest problem as I get older with it is my eyebrows are too light compared to my regular hair, I think that makes me look pretty stupid, like I dont even have eyebrows. The worst thing about my face is now and then people suggest it looks like a thinner younger Howard Lederer. Plus I have a dumb British awkward smile.

My hair is all I have.

• Primrose6789
      Primrose6789
      Silver
      Why didn´t you ask me to ghostwrite the book? :f_p: :f_ugly:
      (I´m a ghostwriter)
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by Primrose6789
      (I´m a ghostwriter)
      Ah, because I technically am the ghostwriter on this one, I'm just too vain not to have my name on the cover.

In all seriousness, that is kinda true. In this book and Mental Game of Poker I had little influence on the actual advice, I just did most of the writing/structuring etc. Because I am slightly well known in poker circles and am doing all the marketing, it's much easier to also have my name on the cover so when people see me promoting the book I don't look like Dara's stalker.

Who do you ghostwrite for? Anything I might have seen before?
    • Primrose6789
      Primrose6789
      Silver
      (I´m a ghostwriter)
      Ah, because I technically am the ghostwriter on this one, I'm just too vain not to have my name on the cover.

In all seriousness, that is kinda true. In this book and Mental Game of Poker I had little influence on the actual advice, I just did most of the writing/structuring etc. Because I am slightly well known in poker circles and am doing all the marketing, it's much easier to also have my name on the cover so when people see me promoting the book I don't look like Dara's stalker.

Barry, I mostly ghostwrite in German, cause this is my native language. I work in the fields of science and medicine and I do proofreading as well. :s_thumbsup: :s_thumbsup: :s_thumbsup:

So: We are kind of collegues? :s_ugly:

Are you in fact a a real ghost? :f_ugly: :f_ugly: :f_ugly: :f_ugly:
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      (I´m a ghostwriter)

Barry, I mostly ghostwrite in German, cause this is my native language. I work in the fields of science and medicine and I do proofreading as well. :s_thumbsup: :s_thumbsup: :s_thumbsup:

So: We are kind of collegues? :s_ugly:

Are you in fact a a real ghost? :f_ugly: :f_ugly: :f_ugly: :f_ugly:
      You've got me

• imgoingtomirage
      imgoingtomirage
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Favourite The Sopranos character?