How to avoid becoming a nit

• jotap27
      jotap27
      Bronze
      Hi Guys,

The more i play and the more i read articles and during my latest downswing, i am not being able to avoid becoming a nit.

The last 4 open ended str8 flush draw haven't hit and i am (more and more) considering the worst possible scenario when i am in a hand.

I am currently scared of my AK off in the BTN when SB or BB re-raises me..

Everytime i see 3 cards of the same type on the board, my hands shake... :P

What can i do to change my mind ???? (I want to but....)

Regards
      JP
  • 11 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Not sure what your thread does in this section, but ok :)
      Just play your game regardless of your past experiences. Probability is a simple thing, it doesn't take into account any previous history when it spins the wheel of fate over and over again.
      A question of strong psychology I guess
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Yea, i had a downsing once and because of being unable to move down almost gone broke, became somewhat paranoid after that too. But time cures.. If you feel unable to play your best game now, take a week or even more off the tables. When you'll come back probably you will still be more carefull than usual, but slowly you should regain your gambling courage.
    • jotap27
      jotap27
      Bronze
      Hi darkonebg,

It seems I am am not confortable with the forum organization. Result: Posting articles in the wrong places. Sorry about this.

I know that stopping is the best solution. I have done that. Stopped for a week and when i returned, the first 5 sessions (in 2 days) were great but then everything went to the "normal" unlucky hands Like holding TT on a 952 flop and the vilain going all in with 97. River ? 7. Well, people are tired of these stories (so am I). But if affects our confidence.....

Regards
      JP
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Your emotional state isn't going to affect the cards that come. It isn't going to highten your senses, if you will, to a point where you can make more accurate reads - as you're too focussed on yourself and your own predicament.

What can you do to change your mind? Walk it off. Or rather, play it off. Physical exercise could help too, I think :)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      hi jotap27;

I know how you feel.. When I'm on downswing I start to play weak-tight postflop, not value-betting enough, not iso-raising enough, not protecting my weak made hand enough (that's the biggest mistake obviously). The best way is to cut the number of tables to minimum you can't fall asleep while playing and think about EVERY decision twice! I'm not kidding when I say I had 2 timeouts while playing only 2 tables during one such session, but can honestly say it helps a lot!

Or, you can try to talk to someone during the session about every move you do and explain why it's better to take aggressive/passive approach. Sweat session over skype is fine, talking to your gf who doesn't know anything about poker (or at least the variant you play) is very good too :P
    • jotap27
      jotap27
      Bronze
      Hi Opal99,

I agree with everything you wrote execpt when you mention "not protecting my weak made hand enough". Usualy i fall in this mistake when i am winning. At this moment i feel i could be over protecting by good hands....

Concerning talking to my girlfriend, i already do. Althought, she looks at me as i am getting paranoid because she doesn't know what i am talking about.. :D

JP

PS: And yes, i have already reduced the number of tables to only 2.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by jotap27
      Concerning talking to my girlfriend, i already do. Althought, she looks at me as i am getting paranoid because she doesn't know what i am talking about.. :D
      lol; I have different problem.. Mine used to play poker last year (~500 SNGs) and it drives me crazy when I think about raise/fold some hand according to blinds and she tells me to limp! (I play SH so technically I never limp except by missclick)
    • NiekamNeidomu
      NiekamNeidomu
      Bronze
      Opal , Jotap .. Next time when you r on downswing guys.. and your gf's r distrubing you.. just cash out your money.. cash in your girls ! and push with any2 xD
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      :D

no, you didn't get it.. She's not disturbing me.. It helps me when she's with me just some advices are not the best at the moment :P
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I have played poker for a little while but more for fun with no real thought of the probabilities or to become more familiar with the game. Then I discovered Poker Strategy. All the articles are great and I learnt a great deal about position, probabilities, people reaction to bet and so on. For me the best way was (is) to start with SSS where you follow a strict rule and do not think much. It take some of the fun off poker but over a few thousand hands you learn quite a bit about disciplining yourself.

Variance and luck mean more or less the same thing but I can see a very different connotation in them. Luck is when you play a 7-2 and hope to hit the cards and you are happy when it does. Variance is when your AA gets broken but you're ok with it because you know that in the long run you will be the one getting paid by plaing right.

Good luck with your game weigh every decision, make mistakes (every one does) but understand your mistakes and learn by them.
    • Deckard33
      Deckard33
      Bronze
      Switch format. I guess you are cash tabling, try low stakes single table sngs (turbo).

I play these profitably bcause they by pass most of my leaks (turn and river). You reach the fold/shove stage fairly quickly, and just play nitty till you do. Playing AK preflop like you've got the nuts seems ok and TPTK on the flop is good enough to shove on a ragged board.

Don't think this helps my over all game much but it's a good bank roll builder.