whats your biggest stupid mistake?

• RavForenzo
      RavForenzo
      Bronze
      Last night I was playing pretty late, and managed to miss read the strength of my hand. Having thought I'd trapped my opponent good and proper. The card on the river completed my OED had flush and straight possibilities. It was magical and I thought I had completed my straight flush and I was unbeatable. I read it, and thought yes, here I go, I got bet into and I re-raised, my opponent then re-re raised all in. Excellent I thought, and I called with in a Milli-second. He turned over the ace flush and I laughed to myself whilst the money went over to him.

I could have cried, i just had a 9 high flush instead of what I thought was the best hand.

Lesson to learn is...dont play when you're tired cus you end up making stupid mistakes like this one.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $11.79
      Hero:
      $28.23

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9:club: , 7:club:
      Hero calls $0.05, 3 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.12) T:diamond: , Q:club: , 2:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.12) 8:club: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.45, BB calls $0.35.

River: ($1.02) J:club: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.70, Hero raises to $3.30, BB raises to $11.29 (All-In), Hero calls $7.99.

Final Pot: $23.60

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a flush, queen high (9c 7c)
      BB shows a flush, ace high (5c Ac)

BB wins with a flush, ace high (5c Ac)

Looking back on it, it seems pretty crazy I miss-read this one! lol

and before some smart ass tells me it was my own fault for limping from MP3 don't! lol I had built up a pretty tasty stack compared to everyone else at the table, and the table was extremely high on the V$IP SO i was playing trappy kind of hands at the time to take full advantage.
  • 12 replies
    • reggie123
      reggie123
      Silver
      I have one question. Why o why you call hands like this? If you got a 8,9 :club: even then is hand with A :club: with small kicker in better position (41,18% vrs. 58,24%). After turn you raise, why? Your hand is not compled. Then you got "lucky" and you hit the river and that all in is in my opinion okey, change that you win is 77%.
      And jet, DONT call with 7,9..
    • RavForenzo
      RavForenzo
      Bronze
      im sure i explained that at the bottom

:rolleyes:
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I agree, raise it :)

Dealt to Hero 9:diamond: 7:diamond:

Hero raises to $2.50, CO calls $2, fold, fold, fold,

Dealt to Hero 9:spade: 7:spade:

fold, Hero raises to $1.75, fold, BB calls $1.25,

Dealt to Hero 9:heart: 7:heart:

Hero raises to $1.75, fold, fold, BB calls $1.50, fold,

Dealt to Hero 9:club: 7:club:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $1.75, fold, fold, Hero

==========================
      As played, call turn for the great odds since you dont have fold equity and raise if you get the straight, with the flush you can call since raising puts you in a negative freeroll
    • reggie123
      reggie123
      Silver
      "I got the many, i can play like donk" is more like diagnosis than explanation.
    • RavForenzo
      RavForenzo
      Bronze
      This is cash game, you know sometimes you have to play the player and not the cards. The reason most people are told to play the big hands is because you don't have enough skills post flop, so to keep decision making process simple, stick to the basics. It doesn't mean it's the one and only way to play. If everyone played ABC poker then it'd be one hell of a dull game. I built my roll enough to enjoy and play how I'd like to whilst remaining solid for the most part. I really don't see the problem in that. I'd rather go up against AA with 7,8 suited or something than AQ or AK. There is a very easy way to crack the Short stackers too, so just cus you are holding a monster pre-flop doesn't mean you're gonna walk away with the chips. I think some people on here are far too righteous. Yes I KNOW that 9,7 suited is not the best hand to play, but it's not like a called a massive raise with it. Jeez. :D
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      playing suited conectors against shortstacks is just wrong.....
    • RavForenzo
      RavForenzo
      Bronze
      so you'd rather be completely dominated then? with a matching card or something?

Everyone has their own styles of play I guess. I got bored with the SSS i found it so mechanical and restrictive and boring. Took any fun out of playing. Which for me, is definitely not a good thing. I'd rather adjust to the table im at with the opponents i'm up against than play by the same rules time n time again.
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      Here's my stupidest mistake. I think I was also tired. Just didn't see any other straight possibilities on the board. Thought I was way ahead...

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 ($11.25)
      MP1 ($14.25)
      MP2 ($50)
      CO ($17.95)
      Button ($20.20)
      Hero (SB) ($9.85)
      BB ($49)
      UTG ($40.05)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6, 7
      6 folds, Button calls $0.50, Hero checks

Flop: ($1) 8, J, 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button checks

Turn: ($1) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button checks

River: ($1) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.50, Button raises to $5.50, Hero raises to $9.35 (All-In), Button calls $3.85

Total pot: $19.70 | Rake: $0.95

Results:
      Button had 10, A (straight, Queen high).
      Hero had 6, 7 (straight, nine high).
      Outcome: Button won $18.75
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RavForenzo
      so you'd rather be completely dominated then? with a matching card or something?
      no, but there's no point in playing a drawing hand against a stack that won't pay off big enough when you hit, Everytime you call a shortstack with 67s the shortstack is winning money , doesn't matter if you hit a straight flush afterwards
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      I agree. You must play to the person, that's how poker works. So therefore you must play a shortstack as a shortstack. Only raise or fold against them - unless there are other aggressive big stacks in the pot that you know you can get money from.. Otherwise you will lose in the long run with marginal hands
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Agree that against monsters I want to be playing 78s etc

Makes me laugh when people say "You called my AK with 78" Well ues of course I did what else would I call that hand with,certainly not AQ or KQ

Against shortstack? well u know they are (a) very tight (b) likely to push on the flop and (C) dont have much cash, so its just not profitble to play against them (say VPIP 8-9) without JJ/QQ/KK (even JJ is pusing it a bit)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      stupidest mistake? not following BRM.