[NL2-NL10] NL20 very bad SSS play

• chickenx
      Since this is my first post, I want to say hello, I'm Chris, a romanian living in London and I started playing online poker about 3 weeks ago(I know).
      I try to stick to SSS, but sometimes I get carried away and not follow the basic rules and do stupid mistakes, like this one:

SB: $3.16
      BB: $3.63
      Hero: $7.14

0.1/0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Kh, Qh
      2 folds, Hero calls $0.20, 3 folds, SB calls $0.10, BB raises to $3.63 (All-In), Hero calls $3.43, SB raises to $3.16 (All-In).

Flop: ($10.42) 4d, 3d, 8c
      Turn: ($10.42) 3c
      River: ($10.42) 9h

Final Pot: $10.42

Results follow :
      Hero shows a pair of threes (Kh Qh)
      SB shows a pair of threes (Ah Qd)
      BB shows a pair of threes (Ad Kc)

BB wins with a pair of threes (Ad Kc)

Now, if I had a look at the charts before playing the hand, I'd knew that KQs is not a hand to play from any position, specially after the big raise, but being suited made my mind to take unnecessary risks.
      The 2 other players, regarding their position, made me think they could also play lower cards from 77+ witch gave me more chances, but just now I realize how bad my thinking was.
      I still think that only the winner played by the book with AK from late position or the blinds, but the other one went AQ all in with a raise in front of him.

I have more bad hands :) ) but this one I found it more interesting because of the outcome, it shows how you can win (tight but a win is a win) if you stick to the SSS, at least the basic rules.

Any comments are welcome!
  • 3 replies
    • veriz

If you want to play your hand then don't limp, raise it up but in this situation I'd prefer to fold the hand and wait till I am at late position with such hand.

Best regards,
    • dandycal
      Hi chickenx,

Welcome to the Forum! As you said yourself, this hand was misplayed. I suggest you get a good grip on the SHC and follow the basic articles closely. It will make your game +EV for sure.
    • Gerv
      Hi Chris welcome ;)

It is very important for a beginning SSS player to master discipline by following the basic chart. This is because if you dont beat the lowest limits, you never will beat the higher limits ;)

Now looking at your hand and your arguments like:
      Originally posted by chickenx
      but being suited made my mind to take unnecessary risks.
      Being suited only increases your winchance with TWO percent. But this is negated due the fact that you are mostly playing out of position against a Cut Off or Button player ;)

If you stick to the basic strategy and post every single hand you have doubts on , I assure you you will be a winning player :) moreover follow coachings, watch videos, discuss strategy are all key concepts for making you a winning player.

Best regards,