SnG VS "normal" poker

• jack12344
      jack12344
      Global
      Ok here is situation, I got $50 from ps and burned everything :D Until I had 0.25c left.

Then I joined $500 freeroll tournament and won about ~$1 ( finished 17th of 7000 )

After this I started playing sng and almost always finished between first #3 ... I even won few times.
      In 2 days I increased my bankroll back to $50 ( From $1 ) :D Just by playing sng's.

But my problem is: My friends who play online poker for long time keep saying to me that playing "normal-regular" poker is way more profitable and am just lucky right now

What do you think, shall I continue playing sng or start playing "regular" tables :D ?

thanks
  • 14 replies
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      If you are good at SNGs then they are definitely profitable. I play almost exclusively 9-man sngs and have built my bankroll from $8 to approx. $330 right now.

You have to play what you are best at : see boku87 on pokerstars.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi jack12344,

Simple answer: Your friends know nothing! Ignore them imo!

Regards,
      Stiev
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jack12344

But my problem is: My friends who play online poker for long time keep saying to me that playing "normal-regular" poker is way more profitable and am just lucky right now
      Well. This guy seems to have made a lot of money on SnG's. And I don't think his winnings are based on that much luck ;)

• dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      Both can def be profitable!! Do whichever comes better for you, and more importantly which one you enjoy! :)
    • jack12344
      jack12344
      Global
      wow thanks for all replys ;)

@Kimber88 is this screen "real" :D ? And "games played" does this mean he played 40.000 SnG's ? :P
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kimber88
      Originally posted by jack12344

Well. This guy seems to have made a lot of money on SnG's. And I don't think his winnings are based on that much luck ;)

:baby: :baby: :baby: :baby: :baby:

What a graph :P
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      It is real yes. And yes it means he played over 40k SnG's.

I'm sorry for only posting the graph. You can go to sharkscope and search for tatta on Pokerstars. :)
    • pegasuswang
      pegasuswang
      Bronze
      SNG and normal poker are different. SNG is a kind of game try to be the last man standing. Normal poker you try make as much money as you can in every pot.
    • looserbaby79
      looserbaby79
      Bronze
      i have the same ?problem? with my friends but I AM SNG player baby :-) nice graaaaph. now i thing my frends have problem lol
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kimber88
      It is real yes. And yes it means he played over 40k SnG's.

I'm sorry for only posting the graph. You can go to sharkscope and search for tatta on Pokerstars. :)
      This guy is sick! he plays only omaha H/L heads up SnG and got like 16% roi on 40k+ games!!!
    • JonathanLittle
      JonathanLittle
      Bronze
      While sngs can be very profitable, you have to realize you wont be winning that much per game, as in your return on investment will be much lower than other forms of poker. Despite this, the games are much shorter than other forms of poker and much easier to multitable. Because of this, if you have around 10% roi, you will quickly move up in the ranks playing sngs whereas if you have 50% roi in mtts, you may be stuch at the same level for foreve simply because of variance.
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Cash & SnG's are 2 completely different things really. Overall it's probably easier to make a stable profit off Cash games. But you have to play what you're best at I guess.

To counter that SnG graph I couldn't help but adding this one thou:
      RaZSi - Nov 16 2007
      Anyways i started with couple hundred on FTP 36 hours ago.. i went from 1-2 NL he to 25-50 where i am playing boosted J now hu.. im up 50k.. from 300$ in 30 hour session or so

The guy is crazy thou, just about as crazy as Elky with his 62 SnG's. In an interview last week he said something about 32 tables (6-max cash) being the max he thought he could handle and he was gonna ask Pokerstars to allow him to play more tables at the same time so he wouldn't have to combine 24 cash tables with a few SnG's or something. :D
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JonathanLittle
      While sngs can be very profitable, you have to realize you wont be winning that much per game, as in your return on investment will be much lower than other forms of poker. Despite this, the games are much shorter than other forms of poker and much easier to multitable. Because of this, if you have around 10% roi, you will quickly move up in the ranks playing sngs whereas if you have 50% roi in mtts, you may be stuch at the same level for foreve simply because of variance.
      Do those 18/27/45 man SnGs count as MTTs?
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      well yes, as in they have multiple amount of tables
      they probably have less veriance though, becuase less players are involved, compared to 180