NL50 SSS or 0.50/1 FL

• Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

I'm depositing 300$ tomorrow and I am planning to build up a BR until the end of the year, and if possible reach supernova on stars and diamond on pokerstrategy, so i'm looking for something with lots of VPP and good "rakeback" through bonuses.

I've already read all bronze, silver and half of gold articles, learned alot of SSS, but i don't know if it's the game for me :( . My experience with SSS is: VERY swingy, but somehow breakeven in the end. you play less hands so it's easily multitabable.

Now as for FL, I've played a bit of it, it's pretty swingy too, but I gave up on it for some reason though :| . I haven't read many FL articles yet, but I expect the things to get pretty complex there. Which might give me an edge or lots of trouble learning the strategy . But after seeing Yoghi's success (and some others, as well as alot of slovenians), I might give it a try. The decision I'd have to make is FR/SH? though. (pros/cons anyone?). Also I'd like to know if gold articles for FL are FR or SH based.

Now as for BRM, I'd do this:

SSS: starting on NL50, moving down to NL25 at 150$ and moving up to NL100 at 1000$.

FL: starting on 0.5/1, moving down to 0.25/0.50 at 150$ and moving up to 1/2 at 1000$.

sooo what do you think I should do? :|
  • 9 replies
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Just play the type which you like the most.
      If yo do not know which one is that, just try them both!
      You have to decide on your own, we can't decide for you. What's the point getting few VPPs more, if you don't even enjoy the game.

I can only give advices about FL.
      First start with FR just to get the basics. You should use at least 300BB. Later on move to SH, use at least 500BB BR. More fishes there, faster play, but swings are much bigger. You have to prepare yourself for swings. They will happen. For sure! :)

The only difference between FR and SH is preflop play. So articles apply to both variants. They use same concept.
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Originally posted by Primzi
      Hello!

I'm depositing 300$ tomorrow and I am planning to build up a BR until the end of the year, and if possible reach supernova on stars and diamond on pokerstrategy, so i'm looking for something with lots of VPP and good "rakeback" through bonuses.

I've already read all bronze, silver and half of gold articles, learned alot of SSS, but i don't know if it's the game for me :( . My experience with SSS is: VERY swingy, but somehow breakeven in the end. you play less hands so it's easily multitabable.

Now as for FL, I've played a bit of it, it's pretty swingy too, but I gave up on it for some reason though :| . I haven't read many FL articles yet, but I expect the things to get pretty complex there. Which might give me an edge or lots of trouble learning the strategy . But after seeing Yoghi's success (and some others, as well as alot of slovenians), I might give it a try. The decision I'd have to make is FR/SH? though. (pros/cons anyone?). Also I'd like to know if gold articles for FL are FR or SH based.

Now as for BRM, I'd do this:

SSS: starting on NL50, moving down to NL25 at 150$ and moving up to NL100 at 1000$.

FL: starting on 0.5/1, moving down to 0.25/0.50 at 150$ and moving up to 1/2 at 1000$.

sooo what do you think I should do? :|
      Primzi

As corey said play the game you like the most. I was also a NL short stacker when I started a few months ago. I decided it wasn't for me and yes it is swingy so I moved on to FL and am enjoying the play there compared to NL.

Don't know if you can acheive supernova and diamond status at FL100 or NL50.

If you play FL you should be able to beat levels up to FL100 with just basic strategy. FL on stars is pretty fishy as well. Make sure you understand the articles on initiative, evaluating flops and odd/outs as well as the other basic strategy articles. There is a bit of information there and it should sink in fairly quickly. I would start off with full ring first and ease into short handed play. Maybe even drop in levels when you start learning short handed play as sh can be pretty swingy as well.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      receieved my money finally :) . i think i'll try FL SH, starting on .25/.50 i guess :) . as for supernova, i'm playing 300k hands from july-september (3k hands per day is easy :P ), it should do the trick :) . also i'm expecting to move up to FL 1/2 until july (300$-1k$ shouldn't be THAT hard in a few months, especially if i manage to place good in some 3$ MTTs as well :P ).
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CoreySteel
      Just play the type which you like the most.
      If yo do not know which one is that, just try them both!
      Also if you like them both then lean towards NL because it is the most popular at the moment!
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Primzi
      receieved my money finally :) . i think i'll try FL SH, starting on .25/.50 i guess :) . as for supernova, i'm playing 300k hands from july-september (3k hands per day is easy :P ), it should do the trick :) . also i'm expecting to move up to FL 1/2 until july (300$-1k$ shouldn't be THAT hard in a few months, especially if i manage to place good in some 3$ MTTs as well :P ).
      No offence, but this doesn't look promising at all...
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Bronze
      Seeing as your going for super sick volume id probably go for sss, once you got the basics sorted you dont need to learn too much extra to stay a winning player esp on stars up to nl100.

From my personal experience flhe requires alot of evaluating and re-evaluating of play, volume is something you can only put in when your happy you've got a very solid game which takes alot of time.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jmackenzie
      Seeing as your going for super sick volume id probably go for sss, once you got the basics sorted you dont need to learn too much extra to stay a winning player esp on stars up to nl100.

From my personal experience flhe requires alot of evaluating and re-evaluating of play, volume is something you can only put in when your happy you've got a very solid game which takes alot of time.
      yep, found that out today :) . couldn't even play 4 tables at once, when i moved to 1 table it was fine :) . i'm trying to slowly learn the game now, then slowly increase the number of tables :) . my first session today was quite easy, FL on stars is REALLY fishy... went up 25$ within 150 hands. now went down a bit but made it back to +30$ off a fish. it's doing well, will just study ALOT in school :) .
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      So yeah, only by using a huge starting hands table that i wrote on an A4 paper, reading about 50 pages of flop play articles and knowing odds, outs, implied odds, etc. (and of course some fish hunting and raping), here is what happenned. might do 1 hour more in the evening, this certainly seems +EV. i know that people said it was fishy, but THIS fishy?

160$ more till proper BRM :) . (lost 6.60$ in tourney buy-ins, in last one got sucked out AT vs 86 lol... so BR is now at 340$ :) ).

I might be moving to two tables tomorrow, but if i get the feeling that I can't take it, I'll move back to one until i'm ready. I think in FL reads are way more important than SSSing, and winrate > FPPs. There are still 3 months to learn to 10 table :) .

Oh, and the downswing that starts at about hand 170 is because i overplayed some cards vs fish who actually hit something :( . but i guess i'll be able to fix that with time, hand evaluation ETC :) . and because i didn't hit a nutflush vs AA (38% gone wrong and I capped instead of calling down, knew he had AA :( )
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze

^^day 1

i expect a downswing soon of course... but it's nice at the moment :) . lost a 2$ 180 man SNG, so BR is at 362$ :) .