new computer help

• delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      I am thinking about buying a new computer because I cant use stats on my one, it takes 20 - 30 minutes just to load elephant and then it keeps freezing and timing me out. What sort of system requirements would be necessary to comfortably run tracking software and multitable among other things? I currently have 2.66GHz and 256MB of ram but I dont really know what that means - so please explain your answers so a complete idiot can understand them. Also what size screen would you recommend for multitabling - I can play 9 - 12 tables easily enough on Party but I cant see all of them. Thanks
  • 7 replies
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      What's your budget? How much are you willing to spend on PC and Screen?

On screens... obviously, the bigger the resolution and physical size the more tables you can squeeze. Personally, I'd recommend looking at a dual-screen solution :D What size is your screen right now and what resolution are you running?

Oh, and what operating system do you plan to use? Windows XP or Vista?

20-30 mins for your database to load on your PC is unnaturally long. Perhaps you have alot of background apps running that hog resources, apps you don't know about? Do you run spyware/adware cleaners, have you tried a defrag?
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Thanks for reply

I dont really have a price in mind, willing to pay for a good computer but I dont want to fork out for one then find it isnt ideal for multitabling or HUD or whatever

my screen now is 15 inches if measured diagonally, I have no idea what resolution and hadnt given that any thought, thanks for mentioning

Windows XP or Vista? What the hell is vista?

Have tried a defrag today, didnt help
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Honestly your processor is good enough as the system's overall speed is hindered not by the processor's speed but the memory available for operations, the RAM. Which is very low, 256MB is just not enough.
      Now I don't know the type of your mainboard but that's irrelevant. My advice for you is to and buy RAM sticks. If you're using XP it supports up to 4 GB of RAM. You can buy up to 4 GB or you can buy up to 2 GB. I think 2 GB should be fine. But your RAM HAS to be of the same kind. So either try and look out for the exact name of your current RAM or just go buy a new 2GB stick and go with it.
      Another thing to add - if you go for the upgrade rather than the whole configuration, you WANT to clean your PC as good as possible. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck most of the dust, clean the heater on the processor too, it's critical, and also clean the power supply unit.

You can always buy a new screen, some fancy TFT should do OK, depends on your budget.

If you go for the whole new system aim for some new mainboard that supports the x64 architechture, Dual core or even Quad core processor if you can afford it, > 4 GB RAM, >300GB hard drive with at least 10000 rounds per minute, around (but better more than) 1 GB video card RAM, DVD RW crap and 7.1 sound card... The prices of the hardware now must have hit the absolute bottom so I think there is no point in buying a PC with lower characteristics than this, it's just not cost effective. I do believe this should cost like $700-800 brand new.

And if you're a laptop fan you can take those digits I typed above go to the store and ask for a laptop with comparable characteristics.
    • bobdefete
      bobdefete
      Bronze
      I personally think that your problem relies on the amounth of RAMS you've got.

First of all 256 mb or RAM for a 2.66GHZ is not enough !!
      Just go buy a 1gb RAM bar which is way cheaper than a new pc and you should be good for a little while. Since its only Elephant and Poker which doesnt require that much of memory everything should work well !
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by delete461my screen now is 15 inches if measured diagonally, I have no idea what resolution and hadnt given that any thought, thanks for mentioning
      Dude, you need something like 19 or 21 inches, 15 is not enough.

Originally posted by delete461
      Windows XP or Vista? What the hell is vista?
      Vista is the version of Microsoft's operational system after Windows XP. IMO It's a complete and utter crap and should be banned by a law. Stick to XP until windows 7 comes out. Windows 7 looks much better than XP.
    • bobdefete
      bobdefete
      Bronze
      I dont see what you guys dont like about vista.....
      Ive been using it for 2 years now, because it came with my laptop and i just set It exactly like XP (which takes about 5 minutes) and Ive got no problems at all....
      I even like it more than XP I used to have on my pc before it broke.

Ive got a dual core 2.4ghz , 2 gb ram , 19 inches screen and everything is perfect !!!
    • bobdefete
      bobdefete
      Bronze
      delete461

The only things you need to buy is a new screen and from 1 to 4 GB of Ram and im almost 100% sure that it will work well... and im 20000% sure you will never have seen your computer going so fast !!! :)