SSS: Rebuy Modification

• tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      I've pushed a few thousands hands of SSS around and I'm kind of curious why the rules tell you to wait until you get to 15BB to rebuy.

It seems like topping off just after the blinds would be slightly more effective otherwise you are giving up 7.5% of your fold equity every time the blinds come around. During that last round you are at a fairly crippling 22.5% loss!

It is more correct to top-off or is there something I haven't considered? I know when I finally get those pocket aces I'd rather be looking at a $2 stack than a $1.55.
  • 3 replies
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      I think its because SSS is most ideal with a 16-17bb stack size. Just for being able to get all your chips in, on the average pot on the flop, your stack is closer to the pot size. However I play on stars, and have on auto rebuy to always have 20 bb's
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      its all about pot odds
      the smaller your stack, the more easily you can shove your stack with the right pot odds

For example, you open-raise with JJ
      someone 3bets you and you know his 3-bet range is JJ+/AK
      your equity against him is 36.6%

for your shove to be profitable, your stack has to be 15 BB

Initial investment: 4BB
      Effective amount in pot after your opponent 3bets: 30BB
      Pot Odds: (15-4) / 30 = 36.6%

Thus 15BB is a more effective stack size to play with. 10BB is even better for weaker hands like 99/TT, though you will probably be minimising your profits with your monster hands.

At the lower limits, I recommend auto-rebuyin to 20BB since you will probably have sufficient odds anyway due to the loose games and you can safely assume that you will be ahead most of the time
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      its all about pot odds
      Thanks! I didn't consider the fact that 20BB was an artificial limit set by the poker rooms and not the actual stack size the strategy was based on.

Originally posted by mbml
      At the lower limits, I recommend auto-rebuyin to 20BB since you will probably have sufficient odds anyway due to the loose games and you can safely assume that you will be ahead most of the time
      Could you give a rough, maybe even conservative, estimate at what limits you should stop auto-rebuying to full?