Quiz of the Week: FL - Made Hands on the Turn

• vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Hello dear FL players!

Today we have another quiz for you and the topic is, as you may have realized from the title, "made hands on the turn".

Having a made hand on the turn in Fixed Limit does not mean simply clicking the bet or raise buttons. After the flop came, you have to evaluate the strength of your hand and act accordingly.

In order to be sure you know how to play your made hands once the turn came, read (or re-read) the silver Fixed Limit strategy article called Post-flop: How to Play Made Hands on the Turn.

When you're ready, feel free to click on the link below and take the quiz.

Important: The quiz is designed for FL silver-ranked members mainly. However, from now on we will let everyone take the quiz, seeing as how there have been many requests to do so. Your suggestions have been heard so please let us know what you think of this.
  • 4 replies
    • gape0000
      gape0000
      Bronze
      Excellent! ;)

You've achieved a total of 18 out of 18 possible points. This corresponds to 100 %!
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      16/18

I liked the quiz but there is one part that seems very wrong to me in the explanation. It is about the QQ hand where we run into an A on the turn.

Could worse made hands call?
      For sure! A 9 could call, as well as worse over-pairs. Even though both of them are rather unlikely as you haven't run into any resistance before the turn.

**Basically only a 9 can call, it is too much to believe that someone would play TT or JJ that way pf. It is also somewhat hard to swallow that noone would raise the 9, this imo makes the 9 rather unlikely.**

According to question one, you still have a value bet, though. If you get raised, you can fold your hand without any remorse. An ace would raise most of the time and you can mostly exclude a bluff as you represent the ace yourself if you take into account the pre-flop action and both of your bets. If you get called by both opponents, you usually have another value bet on the river, because the ace will, as we've just mentioned, usually give you action on the turn.

**Here I completely disagree, it is very unlikely imo that an ace would give us action on the turn, as the author mentioned we represented an Ace pf, with a weak ace (more probable than a 9 given the flop action) the opponent will normally play wa/wb and call down extracting the maximum from our worse hands while losing the minimum to our big aces, 2 pair and set hands.**

**It says in the silver article about playing the river that you must be ahead more than 50% of the time someone calls the river in order to value bet, it seems to me that this will not be the case.**

Finally, if am I right and we do not have a value bet on the river we should then check call to induce bluffs from 1 caller yes?
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      Any takers on my question?
    • gape0000
      gape0000
      Bronze
      Yea the hand u are describing is really situation/player specific but ofc. u have players that play TT and JJ passive pf. and guys that wouldnt raise top pair on flop , another thing is that the fish will usually not fold any pair so u can value bet QQ then again vs. lower pockets - 33,44,66,77,88 and so on and all single worse pairs.

Again regarding WA/WB it depends on the opponent. Alot of passive fishes wont raise the single ace for sure but still im valuebetting on the river most of the time despite that.