How to play if stuck to the left of a loose bigstack?

• mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Hi all.

In the last 15 games or so when I made it to the bubble I was always ending up shortstacked to the left of a complete donk with a huge stack, who's playing nearly every hand and is pushing everyone. However, he is clever enough not to play loose from the first position. I haven't won a tournament in ages, cause I'm always getting pushed out on a bubble.

Here is how it goes:

Positions:
      Smallstack about 5-6 BB;
      Me (small stack). 5-6 BB;
      Huge stack very loose aggressive, playing many hands. 30 bb or so.
      Medium stack. about 15BB.

The problem is that another small stack keeps pushing into me when i'm BB when the bigstack folds, so I am loosing chips. Of course, if I get a v.good hand then i would call, but that practically never happends. Smallstack does not attack the bigstack so there's no point in waiting for him to get kicked out.

If i am SB, then if I keep pushing into the bigstack he calls me and i'm either out or I double up. But then i'm still smaller than the medstack and the small stack keeps feeding on me.

If I'm BU or CO, then I still have to play before the bigstack, so i'm likely to get called with a strong hand and from him or the others.

To sum up, here are my possible ways out of the tournament:

The reason why I end up with the small stack is the same loose bigstack who pushes my attempts to steal in midphase.

What is the correct strategy?

Thanks.
  • 6 replies
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Push more often from the UTG position when the other shortstack is in the BB. You have more FE and it's less dramatic when he calls you (even on the bubble) since winning the flip will get you ITM.
    • HasuHasi
      HasuHasi
      Bronze
      i think i d call the smallstack with any ace-high hand, but im not sure if this would really be a good play.. maybe somebody can comment on this...
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      villain has to push over 40% to make a call profitable here with A2o, so it should be OK even vs. unknown since you don't really have time to wait for good spots anyway.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Any A high is a monster here against the other shorty's pushes, obviously. Also lots of Kings and some Queens are good enough if he's pushing loose.. Also 44+ pockets are a call and when you're getting desperate even 22 is a call. It's still better than going all in against the bigstack.

BTW practice ICM. If the bigstack is going all in every hand he's not a donk at all.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      as luborc said .... if he is pushing hands like kx qx etc ...call him with hands like ax etc ... you have 60:40 to win and that is nice... even take 50:50 ... you are short stack .. you should somthing do to place beter not him... folding and trying to survive is not worth it ...coz you wanna win ...best defense is ofense
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Thanks!

I practice the ICM quite often, and I know that bigstack plays much more aggressive. But you don't push everithing from first position, do you? =)

Thanks for answers anyway. I guess i'll lossen up my calls in these situations.

Cheers