This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Donking or not ?

• OlivierLu
      OlivierLu
      Bronze
      Hello all !

I came here to find some background on donking friendly flop in 3-handed pot (or more).

I've analysed one hand for the french community. I've argued the hand was well played. Hero missed his c/r flop, then bet turn, and finally made a "thin" river-raise against someone who looked quite passive. Here is the hand:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $19,90
      Hero:
      $29,55
      MP2:
      $6,75

0,5/1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:heart: , K:heart:
      MP2 raises, 3 folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6,00 SB) T:spade: , 3:heart: , K:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (3,00 BB) 2:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, MP2 folds, SB calls.

River: (5,00 BB) Q:club: (2 players)
      SB bets, Hero raises, ...

There was a lot of remarks on the flop play. Some argued that Hero should donk the flop. I don't like that play cauz a check by Hero will then be interpreted as a clear weakness (c/c or c/f), as there are no more hands to c/r with. I've realized I've almost never play a donkbet in a 3-handed pot on the flop.

So here are my questions : Do you use flop donkbet in 3-handed pot? If yes, what kind of hand/flop do you donk? and if you use donkbet, do you c/r flop sometimes?

My point of view is I will donkbet against 2 players ONLY if I know they will both check behind. This is so uncommon that it almost never occured before.
  • 10 replies
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      I think that because conti-bet is so standard there is really no reason to donk the flop.

I'd love to hear the reasons for donking the flop but basically you will get raised by a lot of hands for a lot of reasons (including free cards). So the way I see it, when he wants a free card (after failed conti) make him 3-bet for it and pay the maximum for his draw. When he wants to monster-line you: you check-raising, getting called and then he check raises the turn is much cheaper than you bet-3bet the flop, donk the turn into a check raise.

My thoughts anyways, curious what others have to say.
    • gape0000
      gape0000
      Bronze
      I will donkbet sometimes if i want to trap the fish or LAG's between me and the preflop raiser.

Lets say that the flop is really dry and i hit the set and there is a fish between us and i know they dont really have too many live outs against me.
      Since i dont really want the fish to fold overcards i donk bet and that way if the OR raises both of us i can decide then to 3bet on flop directly or wait for the turn check/raise and get even more value for my hand.

That way i also under represent my hand so i might get raised on some cards on turn that connect with either of them (an A or K maybe).

As for this hand goes i would play it excatly the same as Hero although it would be ugly to get 3betted on river but just calling seems weak :)
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      Good idea about trapping players gape.
    • gape0000
      gape0000
      Bronze
      Tnx, i think its actually pretty strong move and its not really easy to read if u dont overuse it , it also helps to mix up your game if nothing else.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hi OlivierLu,

I know a good reason for a donkbet! He checked behind on the flop. You gave him a freecard. ;)

Well the only problem is that you can't know that he will check behind.
      Looking at his continuation bet flop value could save you from losng a bet. But to be honest I wouldn't care about this value here (and not after 36 hands). The flop is perfect for a continuationbet.

Well a nice example when it's useful to delete the following action.
      Post the hand without the check behind and I think 95% say check/raise. :)

Well played. (Sorry for being sarcastic at the beginning. ^^)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      One example of flop donk bet:

Hero is BB with A :heart: 9 :heart: , CO openraised, BU (LAG / maniac) 3bet, SB folded.. Hero decided to coldcall against 2 bad players.

Flop is K :heart: J :diamond: 4 :heart:

Hero donks, CO calls, BU raises, etc. This way we get the most with equity advantage on the flop by donkbetting.
      It can be done similarly here:

Hero is SB with T :club: 9 :club:

UTG limped, CO raised/isoraised, Hero coldcalled, BB called, UTG called

Flop gives us FD or is rainbow and gave us OESD. Donk bet is the best you can do here!
    • Cakara
      Cakara
      Black
      Sry am I only one who thinks that donking flop is standard line here.
      We could expect a raise from MP2 and knock out SB and his gutshots
      I donk a lot 3+ way flops when I want to knock out weak draws with help of pre flop raiser.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      the question is whether you want to knock out weak draw here ;)
    • Cakara
      Cakara
      Black
      SB has value to call 1sb on flop but to pay 2sb would be mathematically incorrect and i would profit from his lose calls
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      You lose to much value as they would call a lot against the odds for 1 SB but not for 2.
      He will often make the continuation bet with A-high or a pocketpair but might even fold to the donkbet.