SSS on Pokerstars....

• MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Silver
      Firstly here's my chart, and you should know I have been rigidly sticking to the SSS... So does this mean I am haveing a bad patch, or that I am just sticking around at the tables I don't get my chips with in to long or what?

I play 15 tables, and make a point of only going into tables with at least 5 big stacks (more if I can find it). My average session isn't that long and I clock up about 500+ hands per hour. Should I just ride this out as I now have the SSS ingrained in my head?

Also I am spunking money like I am a millionare in the BB & SB is this normal for SSS?

Seems rather high to me.....

EDIT** This is at 10NL

Also, I could probably live with this on Full Tilt as I get rakeback there, but what do I gain from breaking even on PS after I clear the deposit bonus?
  • 13 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hi there,

8k hands is not really enough for you to judge your win-rate. The best thing you can do is to NOT stop reviewing your game and improving. I'm not sure how experienced you are as an SSS player, but if you are somewhat new to it I strongly recommend that you keep studying and reviewing articles and hands played. Everybody often find leaks in their game that could be decreasing their EV.

Best regards.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Silver
      This is it, my SSS experiance so far.... But trust me when I say I have the whole beginners strategy in my head and never have to look at the starting hands or after flop play anymore. Although I do still keep them right next to me when I play.

I started SSS in my downswing so maybe it's done it's purpose, and leveled it out to break even? I don't know, I am very concerned about the blinds I am losing though.....
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dandycalThe best thing you can do is to NOT stop reviewing your game and improving. I'm not sure how experienced you are as an SSS player, but if you are somewhat new to it I strongly recommend that you keep studying and reviewing articles and hands played. Everybody often find leaks in their game that could be decreasing their EV.
      I don't understand what you mean by this. There are only two articles on SSS. Preflop and postflop. They are summarized into a tiny PDF where you only need to ever refer to two pages while you are playing.

I'm sure if I reviewed all of my hands I would find little misclicks. I know I accidentally pushed with KQ or TT once when reraised, but even those mistakes go both ways. (I won the hand in question.)

Is there a particular mistake that you think he is making? His stats look completely normal to me.

@MrMardyBum: since you have PT3 you might want to check the tables you are at carefully. If there are too many regulars with very tight stats they probably know how to defend perfectly against a short stack so you also have to watch out for that.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Silver
      The massive amount of tables on stars is perfect for table selection....

I always review my sessions against players, and make sure there is no major difference against me. So I have that covered, but thank you for your suggestion. There are many players that know the SSS but they know your range and they will either stay out of your way, or raise you preflop, and that said, you know they have a good hand and you only stick it in with top 3.

I generally find that these players that know your strategy, will call you with a big Ace, and raise you with QQ+. So you can usually tell where you stand. On the flop if they are FTA then they will generally stick in the right size bet for you to re-raise allin or fold.

I have a very good memory for stats figures and players I've played against, although I have my HUD running at most times the most important things are commited to memory. I have in my memory the top 15 players I've met at this level, thier hand ranges and the way they play commited to memory also.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Silver
      Can anyone else take a sample size of SSS over 8k - 10k hands and show me what they are losing in the blinds please?

I am enjoying the action, but these losses are bugging me.... That's almost double my BR I've lost in the blinds?!!
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum
      Can anyone else take a sample size of SSS over 8k - 10k hands and show me what they are losing in the blinds please?
      Over 2,000 hands I'm -0.17 and -0.21. Almost exactly the same as you.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze

I am enjoying the action, but these losses are bugging me.... That's almost double my BR I've lost in the blinds?!!
      STEALS AND RESTEALS!!!
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Originally posted by dandycalThe best thing you can do is to NOT stop reviewing your game and improving. I'm not sure how experienced you are as an SSS player, but if you are somewhat new to it I strongly recommend that you keep studying and reviewing articles and hands played. Everybody often find leaks in their game that could be decreasing their EV.
      I don't understand what you mean by this. There are only two articles on SSS. Preflop and postflop. They are summarized into a tiny PDF where you only need to ever refer to two pages while you are playing.

I'm sure if I reviewed all of my hands I would find little misclicks. I know I accidentally pushed with KQ or TT once when reraised, but even those mistakes go both ways. (I won the hand in question.)

Is there a particular mistake that you think he is making? His stats look completely normal to me.

@MrMardyBum: since you have PT3 you might want to check the tables you are at carefully. If there are too many regulars with very tight stats they probably know how to defend perfectly against a short stack so you also have to watch out for that.
      he means what he said, don't think there's another way to say it...

as for the articles, go here:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/

and read the topics that say SHORT STACK STRATEGY:
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Silver
      If there are any flaws (other than the blinds thing) in my play, then they are put there by the articles in this site, I don't see this as an option due to all the other people playing here following the strategy... I play by the SSS like I am a machine... I am still expecting to get an email banning me for being a bot tbh....

Thanks for the suggestion on reading the next articles, I was I guess trying to see how viable the strategy was over 10,000 hands just using the beginner articles then I was going to study the next articles and see the difference over the next 10,000 hands.

I'll have to either change my software (From PT3) or find the settings I need for the HUD to display properly... Suggestions? I can't keep rearranging the HUD while playing 15 tables. And playing less than that on SSS is just boring tbh... I have to have the high volume of tables to make SSS a suitable option for me long term.

I already have to have BR's at two different sites for BSS and SSS due to my bot like play. I want SSS to work as it's a nice easy game and easy to get into, giving instant action. And looks very viable as a way to make money and limit losses.

I want to continue with my BSS as playing SSS all the time I feel will limit what you can learn. So I keep my PS account exclusively for SSS and nothing else, no MTT's or SnG's or anything all that gets played with my BSS BR at Full tilt.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Silver
      I guess, I am in a way testing each part of the strategy, step by step, to find and discuss any possible flaws in it.

So far this is the main one I have, but by the looks of the article Primzi (Thank you) this should be covered by the next step.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Primzi
      Let's just do that shall we?

* Short Stack Strategy: Beginner's Mistakes

If the OP was making these I doubt he would be break-even. Basically it just repeats stuff in the three strategy articles for people who didn't pay attention.

* Short Stack Strategy: Outs and Odds
      * Short Stack Strategy: Implied Pot Odds

There's actually nothing about playing in these articles. It just explains why and how SSS works. If you are following the PDF you don't really need to know this at all.

* Short Stack Strategy: Draws in a free play situation

Once again ... an article with a lot of good information that doesn't apply to SSS. So far in 2,000 hands of SSS I haven't gotten a single draw so the situations they are discussing are not going to put a huge dent in your BB/100.

I guess once we've graduated from SSS and gotten into BSS we can eventually get to Silver. Then there are some more articles that we won't care about because we'll have left SSS in the dust.

Nice hand sir.
    • Werdna
      Werdna
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Originally posted by Primzi
      Let's just do that shall we?

* Short Stack Strategy: Beginner's Mistakes

If the OP was making these I doubt he would be break-even. Basically it just repeats stuff in the three strategy articles for people who didn't pay attention.

* Short Stack Strategy: Outs and Odds
      * Short Stack Strategy: Implied Pot Odds

There's actually nothing about playing in these articles. It just explains why and how SSS works. If you are following the PDF you don't really need to know this at all.

* Short Stack Strategy: Draws in a free play situation

Once again ... an article with a lot of good information that doesn't apply to SSS. So far in 2,000 hands of SSS I haven't gotten a single draw so the situations they are discussing are not going to put a huge dent in your BB/100.

I guess once we've graduated from SSS and gotten into BSS we can eventually get to Silver. Then there are some more articles that we won't care about because we'll have left SSS in the dust.

Nice hand sir.

Erm...sorry but what your saying is simply not true.

You think all SSS players are only bronze? All you have to do is get up to 100 points in 4 weeks...which seriously isn't that much...on average 3.5 Strategy points a day!! That amounts to roughly 2.3 partypoker points a day (for example) or 100-150 hands a day (considering that a lot of hands aren't raked). If you are serious about working/learning/improving then this really shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,
    • flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      I started SSS in my downswing so maybe it's done it's purpose, and leveled it out to break even? I don't know, I am very concerned about the blinds I am losing though.....
      Are you playing with stats? Most people playing BSS will be playing with stats so will be able to see how often you fold to a BB steal attempt, could be raising with weak hands as well if they know you will fold 90% of the time. If you have stats on the attempted stealer you should be able to get a hand range from the stat "how often the player attempts to steal the blinds" Another useful stat to use could be "how often the player folded after attempting to steal the blinds" These 2 stats could help you to defend your blinds. Hope this helps.