Prop bet Vs mate

• jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      A good friend of mine I showed the sss to awhile back quickly learnt it and beat nl10 on fulltilt, but when moving up to nl25 he was welcomed by a steady loss over a period of around a month after which he has stopped playing poker online altogether.

His bet to me is that I cant turn $150 into $6000 by the time im 21 (April next year) only using the sss strategy as he thinks that no matter how i play it wont be profitable in the long run.

Now, to me the bet size is not actually that important it's goin to be realtively small around £10, but I think it's a good thing to get some sort of motivation into my game (everyone knows how great it is to prove a mate wrong)

What I wanted to know first off is the best options I could take for his ground rules which are:

The whole bet must be done on 1 site [which should I choose? Bareing in mind a good fullring base is needed (party and cake arnt options, titan,mansion,stars and fulltilt deposit bonuses have already been used... )]

I must play nl100+ when/if $1000 is reached

All bonuses can be added into the bankroll aslong as it is directly related to playing using sss.

I must always sit down at the table with a 20bb starting stack.

A bit of background i've played winning sss up to nl100 where I was breakeven over a period of around 10k hands.

I usually have between 2-4 hours a day spare in which to play poker.

My bankroll is now quite small after cashouts and purchases so that it wouldnt be that much of a waste of time going down to nl20/25.

feedback on if you've down prop bets like this in the past on how it went or any advice would be appreciated :)
  • 16 replies
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      If I were you I would still go for one of the bigger sites (Stars of Full Tilt) even without a bonus. Once you move up the limits you will have much more tables to seleect from and that should be worth more than any bonus in the long run.
      Why do you have to stick to one site? Does not make sense IMO.
      Hope you can also play higher limits than NL100 otherwise it would not really make sense to try to get to 6000$.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY don't make the bet about money. Make him run naked across town when he loses or something like that.. That should be a better motivation IMO.. :D
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Stars or FTP. Stars has the best traffic, but the bonuses arent that good unless you make platinum star i think. FTP has a little less traffic, but a juicy 100% $600 bonus and 27% rakeback when signed up through pokerstrategy. But im not sure if rakeback counts in your challenge.

Anyway i wish you the best of luck and i hope you prove your friend wrong ;)

-Jack
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Originally posted by LuborC
      Why do you have to stick to one site? Does not make sense IMO.
      Hope you can also play higher limits than NL100 otherwise it would not really make sense to try to get to 6000$.
      Yeh i can play limits higher than nl100 he just wanted to make sure i dont like grind out a low limit or smth.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY don't make the bet about money. Make him run naked across town when he loses or something like that.. That should be a better motivation IMO.. :D
      Now thats a good idea!
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      you get very easily get 6k purely throughn rakeback if you grind SSS on ftp, 10-tabling NL100 or 50 or whatever
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I think it's impossible to shortstack grind a year and still be mentally sane enough to collect the 10$
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by Kruppe
      you get very easily get 6k purely throughn rakeback if you grind SSS on ftp, 10-tabling NL100 or 50 or whatever
      +1.Save your FTP points, you can sell them in case of emergency(if by some miracle you havent got the 6k).
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      You can sell FTPs?
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      How can you sell FTP?
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      "Full Tilt does not allow the transfer of FTP points. You can however, purchase items with your points and sell them to other players.

How selling Full Tilt Points works.

A buyer and seller agree on a price for the seller to purchase certain items.
      (For example $100 dollars for a Full Tilt Hockey Jersey (which costs 25,000 FTP)

The player with the FTP uses their points to order an item from the store,
      when they order they put the buyer's shipping address as the destination.
      The person selling the points sends a copy of the confirmation email from the store to the person buying the points/item.The buyer (or a moderator) then sends an email to the store to confirm the order has been received and is legit.

If a middleman is used that's when the funds are released once the Full Tilt Store confirms the order has been placed..

This is the only way to "transfer/sell" points, you cannot use them to buy someone else into a Full Tilt Points tournament or SNG."
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      yup, they are basically sold for 4-5$ for 1k points.
      Use this on your last month in FTP though, otherwise the items you buy will be deducted from your rakeback.
    • Chopsticks43
      Chopsticks43
      Bronze
      I would be careful about the running naked bet as there is always a chance that you might loose!!! :D
      Of course you might want to run around naked!!!
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      ok we've decided on a bet, the loser will have to eat macdonalds fast food and drink only! For 2 weeks solid. (We decided not to go for the full month like on supersize me were just not that hardcore.)

Also the number required has been increased to $10k, I shouldnt have shown him this thread...

Seeing as everyone here seems to be suggesting fulltilt i'll grind it out there I hope this'll go smoothly I really dont like macdonalds :)
    • armo
      armo
      Bronze
      you've seen supersize me and still want to bet on 2 weeks only on macdonalds food :rolleyes: ?(
      I mean there are so many more options for crazy/funny bets - like being naked in public, full body epilation, go to gay bar and flirt with somebody, go to some concert dressed up the way not fit the style (like dress up like rapper and go to some metal band concert ), dress up and pretend to be a girl and go to bar/club on friday/saturday and things like that that does not directly :D interfere with your health.

One of the best bets I heard was the guy had to ride bike naked just with a helmet through the town :D
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Originally posted by armo
      I mean there are so many more options for crazy/funny bets - like being naked in public, full body epilation, go to gay bar and flirt with somebody, go to some concert dressed up the way not fit the style (like dress up like rapper and go to some metal band concert ), dress up and pretend to be a girl and go to bar/club on friday/saturday and things like that that does not directly :D interfere with your health.

One of the best bets I heard was the guy had to ride bike naked just with a helmet through the down :D
      Thats the sort of thing we'd do for laughs without needing a bet trust me. He's in the army n it wouldnt faze him one bit thats usual antics for him.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      poorly disguised brag? :tongue:
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Well my mates decided to drop the bet on the basis that I help him shape up his sss game, fair enough I suppose.

Definatly kinda glad he dropped it as a viewer said "I think it's impossible to shortstack grind a year and still be mentally sane."

@viewers comment: Brag to some, proof of insanity to others.