Y do I suck at SH?

• ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Hi there!
      I've started playing SH and gets beat all the time. If any1 has any general tips, that would be great. I've played around 80K hands in FR (up to 1/2) and am a winning player there, but when I tried SH I loose. I stick to the Silver chart. Some reflections:

1. I'm totally confused about the middle pairs now. When I play them I lose and when I fold them others win with bottom pair or the like.

2. Many play gut shots even though they pay like 1/4 of the pot and hit. How come? Seems to work for some of them, but I haven't figured out a playing style yet. If I have 5 outs on the flop without potodds I usually fold. But sometimes that seems wrong too.

I'm determined to learn SH some day and NEEEEEEEED help now. I probably do most wrong now. If you're an experienced SH player, please give me some clues on how to play and learn. I play 0.25/0.50.

Thx
      ZeroDegrees

PS In my experience they are better, not worse, on SH contrary to what I heard
  • 8 replies
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      Make sure you are adapting to your opponents. I also had problems in FLSH but it is very swingy. Try to watch a lot of videos they helped my game.

Stats are very important in SH tables also not sticking to one style of play postflop was also something that needed to be changed when I played, vs different opponents the same situation can be played very differently.

hope this helped, best of luck :D
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      1. Can't help you with that after today's flopped set losses with small pairs... Posting hands would help you much more than you think.

2. It's variance. I know that situation very well, when you lose to every possible (and impossible too) draw which hits turn or river (or runner-runner is even better). That's the game you chosed. If you don't like that, I'd advise you to try NL FR (BSS ofc) where is almost no variance... As PidKoker said: the best you can do is watching SH videos. If you understand every decision there you're on the right track. If you don't understand, then ask! It's better to ask about some questionable moves you can see there and discuss about them then just watch and say "OK, I got it".

SH is different game that FR and especially if you played 1/2 FR which is quite tight limit. Remind yourself of the situation when you started with poker on micros.. 0.25/0.5 SH is the same game, with same aggression, with same donks who chase every 2-gapper and backdoors.

There's nothing wrong with losing over few thousands hands in FL SH. I lost 4x average monthly salary in my country in 4 days and I DO NOT play such high limits that I can win such money in 4 days ;) You can play well or very well and still lose session/day/week with horrible "winrate".

Don't forget: It's all about luck in short term. It's all about skills in long term.

:spade: Good luck at the tables! :spade:
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey Zero

As an addendum.. go have a look at the blogs of opal99, strat9, Amirapuato, TerrorBlade (his old, pre pro days, blog) and, if you really wanna see ugly, my blog for an idea on just how swingy FL SH can be.

Stick with it fella!!!
    • BoyRobot777
      BoyRobot777
      Bronze
      yeah, i tried SH aswell, but i got beat so badddd, i dont ever try it again :) gl to you tho.
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      When starting out play a tight game(around 20% VPIP) and then as you become ajusted to the aggressiveness and style of SH start to play more hands and defend blinds a bit more. Take it one game at a time and you will get better.
      The past couple of months I have been changing over to SH and have played a fairly tight/aggressive(18-22VPIP, 15PFR) game and have found that this is working now. Also I play micro limits below my bankroll so there not much stress now when I do lose. Things are improving and I´m learning alot but most important, having fun!
      The swings are going to be wild, 50BB down then 60BB up within 10 minutes, but play tight in the begining and you will catchon and start winning.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by One12ver
      have played a fairly tight/aggressive(18-22VPIP, 15PFR) game and have found that this is working now.
      This would be suicide combination on 2/4+ IMO. You can be profitable this way only on much lower stakes where huge pots are built with TP type hands. In my opinion, you'd be -1 or -1.5 BB/100 player @ 5/10 with so low PFR in long run. 24/18 is MUCH better and 28/22 is probably the most favourite atm ;)
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Hi again and thx 4 all the good answers. What I've learned:

I'm gonna start out a little passive to get a feel of the players and the table (thx One12er),
      read up more on the theory,
      watch the videos (thx u all),
      post some example hands,
      play FR til' I've learned more.

Actually my FR table turned to SH today for a while and I did good. It helps if you get good cards and hit sometimes :) ). I think my biggest mistakes were that I got too stressed up and tilted. One of my favorites moves is call down with decents hands. I've also learned not to bet the river when the only hands that'll call you are better.

I watched a session rewiev (0.5/1) by Storge yesterday. His introduction really calmed me down: "we gonna focus on basic poker on these low limit, that's enough and we don't need the stats here." Man, that's put you in perspective. Really amazing how much you can win a month on low limits without being good ( have to be decent though). As a parenthese I can say that I play worse with stats.

A question for you Opal: How swingy is NL FR 0.5/1? Isn't that swingy too? I've always thought NL were swingier generally than FL, but I haven't played much NL.

Happy Seesion 2 U All!
      ZeroDegrees
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by ZeroDegrees
      A question for you Opal: How swingy is NL FR 0.5/1? Isn't that swingy too? I've always thought NL were swingier generally than FL, but I haven't played much NL.
      Dont know why you asked me about this as I'm not NL player, but according to what I've seen so far, NL100 BSS with good table selection is probably the least swingy game you can play (sure you have to be good player ;) ).