Downswing already?

• Doughboi21
      Doughboi21
      Bronze
      OK so i've had my starting capital for about four days now.
      Day one was ok i made about $5. But ever since I cant seem to make a profit. I am following SSS in every aspect, i am now at $36.73.

Is it possible to have a downswing so early on? Not really an encouraging sign. If anyone out there has had similar experiences maybe sharing them would make me feel better. Any suggestions would help to.

Thanks.
  • 3 replies
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Sure it's possible, but it's more likely because you are making mistakes. Post hands and attend coachings to improve your game is always the best way to get through a downswing :)
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      There is no grace time before variance strikes. Lets say by playing SSS you are betting short stacks (say, $1 on a NL5 table) on a weighted coin toss that will come up heads 52% and tails 48%. You have heads. (52-48 is probably close to accurate to a new SSS player's edge playing micro limits from the starting hand chart).

The probability of losing 5 tosses in a row is the same for your first 5 tosses as for the 50th-55th.
    • thebigheizung85
      thebigheizung85
      Silver
      i totally agree with both... it is possibly that you have a nice little downswing but it is also very likely that you make a lot of mistakes... i thought after reading the beginner's section i'd mastered the game in no time^^ now that i've learned much more i see it very differently, i came a long way and there is still a lot of stuff i don't know or don't apply very well

for me it was a turning point when i realized i wasn't as good a player i thought i was...

but keep on improving your game and use the stuff that is provided or you can get your hands on: posting hands, (re-)reading articles, reading books (it might get you away from the SSS, but in the long term you should leave that strategy anyway :-))

i also like it to read the problems in the sample hands forum and i also post my thoughts... thinking about a hand from beginning to end (with a lot of time) is a very good thing

but keep on!