Some thoughts about playing times

• Ejeckt
      So we all know that the best time to play is in the evenings and weekends. Especially weekends... Why? Because the amount of casual players who play for fun, ignorant of advanced strategies, and likely boozed up players, tends to increase.

Who are these guys? Normal people with normal jobs most likely, right?

But then who exactly plays at the non US sites at 8AM (I mean non US because most people would be European, and have a relatively similar timezone)? Professionals? Well, maybe some at the higher limits might start their 15 hour working day... but at the lower limits? Who exactly are these people? And why is it still better to reserve your play for the weekends and evenings?

My guess: students who should be studying or attending classes. Unemployed folks desperate to get in a few $. People that are on holiday and leave would generally be sleeping at this time, so they're not it. What other examples can one think of?

I'd sit down at a table and ask who they are and why they're playing poker between 7-12AM, but I don't know what kind of reception I get.

On that line, is it less profitable to play at these times against these players simply because of their quality of play - or because there are less of the abovementioned casual players?
  • 2 replies
    • Smoke42
      Hi Ejeckt

I'm one of those players on at silly o'clock in the morning at times (I have a cat that thinks dawn is the best time for me to get up and feed her) and yes it's because I am unemployed atm but, not to make $'s. Certainly not at the microlimits where I play anyway lol. I play to get more experience and to combat the sheer boredom of not having any work.

• Waiboy
      Well, I will often play at between 2AM and 12PM GMT, because that is approx 2PM to 12PM NZ time (ignoring summer time adjustments).

I wish I was an unemployed student. If I'm lucky and real life goes tits up, who knows, maybe I will be again! :D