[NL20-NL50] ATo BB - what was I thinking?

• TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $27.92
      Hero:
      $20.38

0.1/0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:diamond: , T:spade:
      8 folds, SB raises to $0.80, Hero calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.60) J:diamond: , 2:diamond: , 5:spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.00, Hero raises to $2.20, SB calls $1.20.

Turn: ($6.00) T:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.40, SB calls $3.40.

River: ($12.80) 9:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $12.80
  • 3 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      You were thinking you were playing blind defence.

I dont like passive blind defence unless I have a strong drawing hand (suited connectors, small pp with set value). Otherwise, ATo against a 30%+ stealer is a definate 3bet hand.

Most stealers will fold or call. By calling they hand over initiative and give you cbet rights.

In this case, vs opponent 11 3 (9 ORL) his steal range may be 3x his normal raise range, but his normal raise range is TT+, AKo! So his "steal" range is ATo+, 77+ or something like that. Never resteal against a player so tight, let him have your blind when he decides he wants it. 91% of the time he is folding the blinds to you anyway.

As played by playing passive blind defence you should fold the flop if you miss and hold no showdown value (eg 77 you could continue with intention to float here). The flop is the most wrong time to try and overbet the stealer off his hand if you miss, as you have given the villain a chance to hit. If you wanted to make this kind of resteal bet, obviously preflop is the place to do it, or the turn if the SB doesnt second-barrel.

Turn gives you showdown value and a redraw to the nuts... I guess after playing the flop as played, the turn bet is good as it buys us a free showdown. Of course a check behind would give us a free look at our nut flush redraw, but might induce SB to bet the river, which we dont really want holding MPTK.

But all in all, fold preflop vs such tight "stealing" villain's range.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

Preflop: Against such a PFR I don't really think I am going go 3bet here and even I am not really sure if I am defending my blind. Guess his ATS is also like 5 or something similar. So I'd prefer to fold here and just give up my blind.

As played
      Flop: I would likely give up here.
      Turn: Check behind because I don't really think he is going to fold to your 2nd barrel, very often he will just call because he called you already on flop.

Best regards,
      Rensu
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I´d just fold pf, he is crushing AT his 3-bet range and often enough you loose postflop a lot of money. ´
      If you want to make move, then raise a little more, turn bet is fine.