A good poker book

    • tobyy
      tobyy
      Basic
      Joined: 15.11.2006 Posts: 1
      hi guys.
      I played poker for a half year. I'm not very good but I know this game and can play it. I play on the internet and with friends three time the week.

      I like to read a book about poker for beginner with easy english ;) you see my english is very bad... but I can read the most of it..

      So I need a german good book or an english one.
  • 17 replies
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.01.2006 Posts: 1,649
      Actualy there is NO good german book on the market. The best poker books are, of course, in english.

      You should read Winning Low Limit Hold'em

      Also easy to read.

      But you will find everything and much more in our strategy section.

      And please don't read the Preflop/starting hands chapters in this book.

      Kind regards,
      Stefan
    • oberuckersee
      oberuckersee
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.09.2006 Posts: 281
      Sklansky's "Theory of Poker" is now in german available.Very good book.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.01.2006 Posts: 1,649
      Actually to read Sklanskys Theory of Poker is an excellent combination to PokerStrategy Content and a book i can recommend.

      Best regards,
      Stefan
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.10.2006 Posts: 1,519
      Another good book is Small Stakes Hold'em, by Sklansky, Miller and Malmuth. It is chockers with information, which really opens the mind regarding what the aim of this game is, and how to play profitably. I played the roller coaster game for the first 8 weeks, and then started reading this and it really crystalised things, and since I have been trending upwards consistently, and really I have only improved my basic understanding so far. It gives me great optimism.

      If your english is ok, this is not difficult to read. This one also suggests a slightly looser preflop strategy than the SHC, so ignore that section, until you are old enough to make your own decisions. :) All of this information is on the strategy boards, but I wasn't able to get access to it for a while, due to most of it being silver status under the old system. Also, it is good to have it in a book beside you for reference and easy rereading. I don't have a printer, otherwise all the strategy section would be printed out, believe me!
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.01.2006 Posts: 1,649
      First of all SSH (=Small Stakes Hold'em) is a great book but like you said the recommended strategies are a bit too loose. and a bit too aggressive.
      When you compare it with Middle Stakes Hold'em (MMH), MMH is quite to tight and passive.

      But all in all 2 very good books but an absolutly different style then "Theory of Poker".
    • obs
      obs
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.02.2007 Posts: 1
      Hello everybody!

      "Harrington on Holdem" (all three volumes) seems to me a must read for any beginner who wants to become a successful poker player.
      And its English is very clear and accesible for almost any level.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.01.2006 Posts: 1,649
      Originally posted by obs
      Hello everybody!

      "Harrington on Holdem" (all three volumes) seems to me a must read for any beginner who wants to become a successful poker player.
      And its English is very clear and accesible for almost any level.
      Let me edite your sentence a bit:

      "Harrington on Holdem" (all three volumes) seems to me a must read for any beginner who wants to become a successful No-Limit/Tournament poker player.
      And its English is very clear and accesible for almost any level.

      THe first volume is also very interesting for cash game players. Because it is about the early stages of a tournament which you can compare to cash game situations.

      Anyway all three books are very good ones. (Although i never read the last one but our Head of NL told me it is good)

      For NL cash games by the way i can also recommend Phil Gordon's 'Little Green Book' - especially for NL cash games this one is my favorite.

      by the way you should have a look at our 'book recommendations':

      Books about NL cash games

      Books about NL Tournament

      Books about Fixed Limit cash games
    • boschman123
      boschman123
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.04.2006 Posts: 1,215
      as u all know , its better to buy a book then to download one.
      so dont go to xxx , dont go to the books section and dont download "the ultimate poker literature pack".

      this pack doesnt contain:
      supersystem 1 & 2
      harrington 1 2 3
      ace on the river
      little green book (a must read)
      small stakes hold em
      winning low limit hold em
      the theory of poker
      holdem poker for advanced players
      winning low limit
      caro's book of tells
      and not many many more

      BUY BOOKS ! ! ! it beats television.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.01.2006 Posts: 1,649
      Originally posted by boschman123
      as u all know , its better to buy a book then to download one.
      so dont go to xxx , dont go to the books section and dont download "the ultimate poker literature pack".

      this pack doesnt contain:
      supersystem 1 & 2
      harrington 1 2 3
      ace on the river
      little green book (a must read)
      small stakes hold em
      winning low limit hold em
      the theory of poker
      holdem poker for advanced players
      winning low limit
      caro's book of tells
      and not many many more

      BUY BOOKS ! ! ! it beats television.

    • boschman123
      boschman123
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.04.2006 Posts: 1,215
      lol, pink suits me.
      but how did u know my secrtet identity?
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.01.2006 Posts: 1,649
      Yeah you thought google knows everything..... :D

      Our dutch agents are everywhere ..... :D
    • Cru3LL7
      Cru3LL7
      Bronze
      Joined: 10.07.2007 Posts: 23
      Originally posted by boschman123
      as u all know , its better to buy a book then to download one.
      so dont go to xxx , dont go to the books section and dont download "the ultimate poker literature pack".

      this pack doesnt contain:
      supersystem 1 & 2
      harrington 1 2 3
      ace on the river
      little green book (a must read)
      small stakes hold em
      winning low limit hold em
      the theory of poker
      holdem poker for advanced players
      winning low limit
      caro's book of tells
      and not many many more

      BUY BOOKS ! ! ! it beats television.
      I have all this books :P all downloaded for free
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.03.2005 Posts: 18,556
      I wouldn't be proud about doing something illegal and posting it here ...

      Btw please don't post again tips how to get illegal stuff ... thx.
    • Cru3LL7
      Cru3LL7
      Bronze
      Joined: 10.07.2007 Posts: 23
      Originally posted by ciRith
      I wouldn't be pround about doing something illegal and posting it here ...

      Btw please don't post again tips how to get illegal stuff ... thx.
      But my friend was bought these books so he give me this books pack for free..But anyway sorry if this is illegal :(
    • Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      Joined: 28.05.2007 Posts: 578
      Originally posted by Stefan1000
      Let me edite your sentence a bit:

      "Harrington on Holdem" (all three volumes) seems to me a must read for any beginner who wants to become a successful No-Limit/Tournament poker player.
      And its English is very clear and accesible for almost any level.

      THe first volume is also very interesting for cash game players. Because it is about the early stages of a tournament which you can compare to cash game situations.

      Anyway all three books are very good ones. (Although i never read the last one but our Head of NL told me it is good)

      For NL cash games by the way i can also recommend Phil Gordon's 'Little Green Book' - especially for NL cash games this one is my favorite.

      by the way you should have a look at our 'book recommendations':

      Books about NL cash games

      Books about NL Tournament

      Books about Fixed Limit cash games
      I was searching for good NL cashgame books, and I found your post. Unfortunatly the link doesn't work anymore. So which books are the most interesting for NL CASHgames?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.04.2006 Posts: 4,786
      Hi Philipvw!

      I recommend Phil Gordon's Little Green Book and "No Limit Hold'em - Theory and Practice" by David Sklansky and Ed Miller. Although both books have their weaknesses they make you think about the game and all the possibilities of No Limit Hold'em.

      Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Grums2k
      Grums2k
      Bronze
      Joined: 26.07.2007 Posts: 28
      I never liked Gordons style of play. I wouldnt buy his advice. But truth be told im biased. I just never liked the guy. He never impressed me with his play either. But hey, i might be wrong. Never say never.