[NL20-NL50] AA v AJ ouch

• andyb43
      Known players:          

0.1/0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.62 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with A:club: , A:diamond:
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.40, UTG2 calls $0.40, 5 folds, SB calls $0.30, BB folds.

Flop: ($1.40) J:diamond: , 9:spade: , J:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.00, UTG2 folds, SB calls $1.00.

Turn: ($3.40) T:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.70, Hero raises to $3.40, SB raises to $5.57 (All-In), Hero calls $2.17.

River: ($14.54) 5:diamond: (1 players)

Final Pot: $14.54

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and jacks (Ac Ad)
      SB shows three of a kind, jacks (As Js)

SB wins with three of a kind, jacks (As Js)

I dont think a 4x bb open raisewould have made any difference here?
  • 7 replies
    • veriz

Preflop: No way I am minraising, make a normal raise!

As played
      Nice hand, well played. I am going broke vs such shorty.

Best regards,
    • Kaitz20
      I´d prefer at least 3xbb raise, although it wouldn´t change anything, he would likely won´t call there with total crap.
    • andyb43
      Thanx guys..........this was my first real attempt at NL20 and these stung a bit :D
    • HannesNL
      Lol, you deserved to be beat imo :D

4bb raise pf, call turn and call river.
    • andyb43
      Originally posted by timkroes

4bb raise pf, call turn and call river.
      I would than likely be facing an all in bet on the river from this shorty anyway..........which I would have called, so still $$ down the toilet... :(
    • Jaissica
      When a player out of position cold-calls your conti bet then immediately donks into you on the turn card, that usually means one of two things - either A. the turn card helped the player or B. this player is very badly slowplaying a monster hand. Its a common slowplay line for bad players OOP - check-call flop, donk turn.

Its not a common bluff line as if you are going to bluff, you do it on the flop OOP by donking direct or check-raising (representing massive strength). You dont call-raise unless you wanted to see the turn or arnt scared of the turn. Bluffing by "floating" (eg he puts you on two of AKQ, so bets the turn to see if you will fold) is a rediculous move OOP. At no point has the opponent attempted to make you define the strength of your hand (which a flop re-raise would do) meaning he thinks he is way in front. You are up against a monster here nearly every time.

I think it is possible to get away from this hand on the turn donk. The turn is a poor card for you anyway as 9T and QK both have you cracked and could both play that line (check-call-bet), while any J already had you drawing to two outs.
    • BogdanDin7
      I really don`t know what your toughts were but minraising is never a good option. Just make a normal raise , this way you will always get a tone of cold callers cuz you give them the correct odds , plus if you minraise your monsters any player can catch up to that and adjust their play accordingly.

As played I can`t see many hands that you can beat on that donk bet on the turn. One pair kind of hands wouldnt do that and an overpair he would have likely come over the top preflop. Giving that he is a shorty I might go broke too , but it`s close.

Anyway the "I dont think a 4x bb open raisewould have made any difference here?" shouldn`t even be a question here.You shouldn`t be result orientated , but rather try to make the right play