PS points/$ for reading strat/watching videos

    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.07.2008 Posts: 4,383
      I have a problem getting bored while reading PS strats and watching long videos so it ocurred to me that PS.com could give points or $ for each article read and for each video watched. It doesnt have to be a lot but big enough to motivate. I don't know how easy this would be to implement/control.

      imo this would motivate the ppl who get bored/tired easily and would improve our success at the tables greatly, producing revenue for PS.com

      I understand that I shouldnt need motivation to read/watch PS content but the reality is different.

      Feel free to flame, I doubt I'll go on tilt for it =)
  • 15 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.11.2008 Posts: 4,952
      hmm, i think the collecting of points is the motivation for being able to reach the content like videos and articles... so getting points to watch videos to get more points for what? I mean, what are you gonna do with the new points you'd get for watching a video? gain access to more videos, that's all :( . If you're bored whilst reading articles/watching videos, just watch/read like one a day or a few days, when you're on a downswing or something... it'll just help you improve your game :) .
    • zivkoleo
      zivkoleo
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.07.2008 Posts: 215
      I feel the same way...
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Joined: 17.01.2008 Posts: 9,508
      Lolol quote of the day.
      You should be happy you are getting such a quality material for free.
      If you have problems with the learning part, serious poker isnt for you.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.07.2008 Posts: 4,383
      Originally posted by Primzi
      hmm, i think the collecting of points is the motivation for being able to reach the content like videos and articles... so getting points to watch videos to get more points for what? I mean, what are you gonna do with the new points you'd get for watching a video? gain access to more videos, that's all :( . If you're bored whilst reading articles/watching videos, just watch/read like one a day or a few days, when you're on a downswing or something... it'll just help you improve your game :) .
      yea I thought that points werent much motivation so I added the $
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.07.2008 Posts: 4,383
      Originally posted by darkonebg
      Lolol quote of the day.
      You should be happy you are getting such a quality material for free.
      If you have problems with the learning part, serious poker isnt for you.
      You must bear in mind that not everyone has the same mindset, but still wants to be a better player somehow.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.11.2008 Posts: 4,952
      do you even know what's the purpose of articles? they help YOU to improve YOUR game. so why would pokerstrategy pay you to become a better player? i mean ok, they'd get a bit more from your rake but i don't think it's woth it for them. well i'll try to put this as simple as possible. do you get payed to watch dvds about poker and read poker books? or do you pay for them? ask yourself that and you'll get the answer to all your questions ;) .
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.10.2006 Posts: 3,366
      No offence TheBrood, but this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. :) Well OK, almost...
      Primzi and darkonebg told everything so I won't write more.
    • Jumbles
      Jumbles
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.10.2007 Posts: 190
      I always get $ from the strategy articles.

      If you're not, you're doing it wrong.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Joined: 17.01.2008 Posts: 9,508
      Originally posted by Jumbles
      I always get $ from the strategy articles.

      If you're not, you're doing it wrong.
      that :D
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Joined: 07.02.2009 Posts: 1,432
      Yeah, Points and free candy for everyone!

      Seriously though, Poker Strategy exists to make money out of you and you could just abuse this by opening/closing the articles
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.02.2008 Posts: 6,356
      Hey the TheBrood,

      Aside from being next to impossible to control, I see little real value in 'paying' members to improve their own game. In essence we are already paying you to take advantage of our content - since the content leads to better results at the tables, which in turns means a higher winrate and more money. This in turn leads to ability to play higher limits and thus more strategy points.

      As such our current process not only 'rewards' players for reading articles - but is also fair both to the player and to us - since it only rewards players that actually put the concepts into practice.

      If we were to reward the simple reading of the article or watching of the video - there would be no way of actually making sure it is put into practice. The reading/watching is only a small part of the learning process. If the player doesn't actively think about what he is seeing or reading, then there will not be any benefit from it - neither for the player nor to us. People could click through articles, or let videos run and earn points or $ without improving their game at all. They would also not need to play through tracked accounts - since clicking through our material would be enough. This would completely undermine our entire business model.

      I can understand that the motivation to improve is not always easy to achieve but at the end of the day it is something that HAS to come from the player. Even though any player might reach a certain level of play through passive learning (e.g. watching or just reading and following instructions in articles) - sooner or later there needs to be a switch to active learning. That means the player needs to seek out information, question what he is reading and start thinking about own theories.

      This is the only way he can really reach a 'higher' level of poker understanding. I would therefore rather put emphasis on helping any player to become the best he is & to support him or her in anyway possible than to "bribe them to learn".

      Hope you understand what I mean ;)

      Best regards
      SoyCD
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.07.2008 Posts: 4,383
      ok so the original idea was shot down before taking off...i guess im the only one here with this problem.

      lets try this:

      how about shortening the videos to 20-30 mins max and making the articles more eye-friendly? You could use a bigger font and tailor them into shorter segments (if the site could remember what segment u were on it would be perfect imo) for easier reading.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.02.2008 Posts: 6,356
      For the videos we are planning on adding videos to each of the articles in the style you might have seen on some of the basic articles. This makes it easier on the eye (as you barely have to read) as well as hopefully more entertaining & easy to digest.

      These videos should be around 20-30 minutes. As for regular videos, I believe the 30-60 minutes time span is good - depending on what is being covered. 20 minutes is simply very short :(

      Best regards
      SoyCD
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Joined: 17.01.2008 Posts: 9,508
      Originally posted by SoyCD As for regular videos, I believe the 30-60 minutes time span is good - depending on what is being covered. 20 minutes is simply very short :(

      Best regards
      SoyCD
      I actually think they are not long enough. Thats especially true with live videos, where you can see 0 interesting hands for those 35-40 mins.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.07.2008 Posts: 4,383
      Originally posted by SoyCD
      For the videos we are planning on adding videos to each of the articles in the style you might have seen on some of the basic articles. This makes it easier on the eye (as you barely have to read) as well as hopefully more entertaining & easy to digest.

      These videos should be around 20-30 minutes. As for regular videos, I believe the 30-60 minutes time span is good - depending on what is being covered. 20 minutes is simply very short :(

      Best regards
      SoyCD
      sounds good.

      regular videos could be split into smaller videos so we could watch them in 2 segments of 20 mins instead of 1 40 min segment. this would not affect the amount of hands imo