Turbo S&G's

• merijna
      merijna
      Bronze
      Hello there Pokerstrategy community !

6 days ago , I had my 50$ starting bankroll on partypoker.

Now i'm going up and down a bit everytime (i had a downswing to 43 , went up to 57 and now i'm at 54)

I noticed I'm pretty good at cashgames , especially SSS
      but in order to clear my bonus i'm afraid i'll need to do s&g'sbecause of the BIG amount of hands needed at 0.2/0.4 for 10 partypoints.

I'm not bad at playing S&G's , but I'm having a hard time with the blinds going up so quick .
      I noticed you just can't wait for good hands (which i usually do) , the blinds go up too quick !

Anyone has tips how to survive these 1$ Turbo S&G's?
      (There aren't normal 1$ S&G's on partypoker)
  • 4 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi merijna,

Firstly welcome to the community, its good to see you and your most welcome here.

Yes, sss is of course a long grind, but with patience, you will get there. Keep thinking of the long term goal and keep reading articles/attending coaching sessions etc, it's vitally important to keep developing your game, even if your currently doing well as downswings do/will occur from time to time.

Regarding the SnG's, to be honest, the faster the blinds the more you have to loosen your starting hands to avoid being blinded out. From what you have described, I would strongly recommend that you don't change your starting hands however, but instead change from Turbo's down to either Speed or ideally Regular blinds clock. Your right, thats not currently possible on Party, so maybe concentrate on the sss for now, until your BR is higher?

I know that these (slower blinds sngs) can seem painfully slow initially, but at this stage with a low BR, the most important thing is to learn and develop your game. Clearing bonuses/making profit shouldn't really be in your thought process at this stage, but will happen given time and more experience.

Hope you don't mind me suggesting this, it's just the higher the blind speed, the more of a lottery or more skill level you will need to master to do well. Don't want to see you risking your BR too early or getting frustrated with bad beats.

If you do prefer to continue with Turbo sngs however, I can highly recommend the PokerStrategy ICM software, combined with the Tournament/sng strategy articles. These help you to identify when to "Push/fold" in a tournament and with which type of hands.

Hope this helps, feel free to post any additional questions however.

Bart
    • merijna
      merijna
      Bronze
      Thanks for the help ,

indeed , maybe it is a better idea to just concentrate on SSS because I also like it alot more , and I lose more at those S&G's than I win....
      I can understand that you say i shouldn't focus on the bonus ( i hope i made clear i mean the starting capital by that) , but if I don't , I'll lose the 50$ and there will be nothing left of my bankroll.

Anyway , are there any ways to earn partypoints easier on normal cash games? I'm already a little behind my scheme , after 6 days I only have 16PP's yet , I should earn 3,33 per day = 20.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello merijna,

Don't worry about the points yet. You have 3 months to reach the amount needed and the amount of points you earn increases dramatically as you move up the stakes. If you play good poker and continously work on improving your game - you will have no problem building the bankroll needed to move up the limits.

As soon as you do you will make the needed points in no time at all. Put all your focus on learning and improving. The rest will come in its own time.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • merijna
      merijna
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice :)

I'll stay on the cash games for now , and will try to improve my game!