Playing shorter session

• tonnek

I have been playing poker for just a very little time (SSS NL10). Actually 14 sessions, so it is very little. But I have made one conclusion. I am not yet having all your fance programs to evaluate my game better, but at the moment I use excel.

What I have figured out, that making shorter session is more profitable for me. I can see the length of one session from the amount of points I have gained.

At the beginning I played 20 points sessions on pokerstars, but now I switched to play like 4-8 points. I did make huge losses in the beginning, but now I am starting to recover from it slowly.

What do you think about it? I can also be, that I have learned something and not making such huge mistakes as in the first session. On the other hand, I guess I loose the concentration, if I have to wait for a good hand for a long time.
  • 4 replies
    • MrPavlos
      Well actually its kinda strange to count a session by the fpp points u get.
      The losses either occured due to u being looser after some time or variance which u shouldnt worry about.Still u should play as much as u feel comfortable.Never play more than u feel like playing cause then only bad things will happen.I myself sometimes play 2-6hours sessions and sometimes 30mins,depending always how i feel.Never push urself just for some more profit.

Keep up

• TheBu11d0g
      Hello tonnek,

I would recommend that you check out the PokerStrategy Elephant tracking program which can help you massively with tracking your play and helping to find any possible leaks. It comes with quite a few features that will be of use to any player.

As MrPavlos has already mentioned, session length will vary greatly from one player to the next. I can comfortably play for 2-3 hours and still play my A-game, sometimes even longer and sometimes shorter depending on how i feel at the time.

It is a personal decision with regards to the length of a session so play as long as you feel you can still play your A-game, be it 30 minutes or 3 hours.

Kind Regards,
    • SalamiandCheese
      14 sessions are not enough to really draw any conclusions. If you were using something like pokertracker, holdem manager (most people are recommending this one lately), or Elephant, then there might be enough info to draw a conclusion that after, say, 1.5hrs your game starts to get sloppy by looking at the graphs and knowing your hands per hour rate, etc. How many tables you play affects this kind of thing a lot, too. I can play one short-handed table for several hours and not get tired, but when 4 tabling I try to keep things in 1 hr blocks.
    • tonnek
      Do you have any other programs, that don't need the installation of SQL database... I tried some trialversion of those programs, but I really hate installing those SQL servers. Besides that, my pc was totally ruined, I could not get into the internet, while the server was running.

So is there like a light version of those programs?