SSS Basic Article Question

• kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      The article regarding playing after the flop says that if I raised pre-flop and have only one opponent left, and did not hit anything, I should bet once as a bluff.

My question is, what if it is the turn of my opponent first and he bets. Should I raise as a bluff or just fold?
  • 14 replies
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello kenthmp,

If you raised pre-flop and did not hit anything on the flop then yes, you can cbet 2/3 of the pot as a bluff only if your opponent checked or you are first to act.

If, in your case, your opponent bets first on the flop then you give up the hand and fold if you have nothing.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • rex99
      rex99
      Bronze
      completing:

...and if you bet and get reraised: fold.

if he calls at flop, just check/fold at turn.

regards,
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      I have another question.

There was a raise behind you --- You go all-in with TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA, and AK

Does this also apply to raise then re-raise and (quite impossible) another re-raise (basically more than one raises behind) behind you?
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello kenthmp,

Originally it was decided by your remaining stack:original raise ratio whether or not you would go all-in with a raise or raises behind you but they have since changed the articles.

I have read through the new articles and from my understanding of it you go all in with TT+, AK whether there is one re-raise behind you or more

I hope this helps you and my apologies if i have misunderstood the new articles.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBu11d0g

I have read through the new articles and from my understanding of it you go all in with TT+, AK whether there is one re-raise behind you or more

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
      Actually this is wrong according to the SSS re-re-raised chart. You only go all in if there are more than one re-raisers if you hold KK or AA. Otherwise you fold.

If there is only one raiser then you go all in with AK and JJ or better.
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello ShadowOfLight1337,

Looking at the charts again, those hand ranges for all-in are for when there has been a raise in front of you, not behind.

When you go all-in with...

exactly one opponent raised in front of you. JJ, QQ, KK, AA, and AK

more than one opponent raised in front of you. KK and AA

an opponent reraised behind you. TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA, and AK

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ShadowOfLight1337

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
      Actually this is wrong according to the SSS re-re-raised chart. You only go all in if there are more than one re-raisers if you hold KK or AA. Otherwise you fold.

If there is only one raiser then you go all in with AK and JJ or better.
      Shadow,
      I am talking about the raise behind here and not raise before. Sorry if I did not make myself clear.
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      Ah... Right. I missed the behind part.
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      Yet another question:

I raised before the flop, I hit nothing... I have one opponent.
      My opponents min bets, Should I just fold or raise as a bluff?
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello kenthmp,

If you have hit nothing and the villian bets on the flop first, then its just easier to fold.

The only time you can bluff against one opponent on the flop is when you are first to act.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      Hello kenthmp,

If you have hit nothing and the villian bets on the flop first, then its just easier to fold.

The only time you can bluff against one opponent on the flop is when you are first to act.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
      But if your opponent is first to act and he checks. Do you bluff then, if you missed the board?
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Hi ShadowOfLight1337,

Remember also that if you need to bet more than half of your remaining stack as a continuation bet then just go all-in. That should take care of difficult turn decisions.

Happy short stacking!
      Termi8r
    • D4NNYP
      D4NNYP
      Bronze
      This is an excellent thread because these scenarios are not clear in the Beginners Articles..

Going back to raises and re-raises behind you, what was the conclusion...

Say i have JJ in early and i raise, then players re-raise and re-reraise behind me, am i still going all in?...

Also does the situation change if I raise in late with JJ, and original limpers re-raise, or re-reraise?....

Hope this makes sense...

Any help would be gratefully received

Thank You...
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by D4NNYP
      This is an excellent thread because these scenarios are not clear in the Beginners Articles..

Going back to raises and re-raises behind you, what was the conclusion...

Say i have JJ in early and i raise, then players re-raise and re-reraise behind me, am i still going all in?...

Also does the situation change if I raise in late with JJ, and original limpers re-raise, or re-reraise?....

Hope this makes sense...

Any help would be gratefully received

Thank You...
      Yes this is an all-in. With Premium pairs you are better off just shoving it as a beginner. If you have solid stats or reads, you could think of folding JJ in this spot, but it would have to be really solid, like 2 players with VPIP below 7, and a 3Bet% below 4-5. Even then, you will be up against AK/AQ a lot of the time, so JJ is still probably a profitable push.

All action 'behind' is the same, regardless of position. However, a limp/re-raise in my opinion is usually a show of weakness. Occasionally it will be AA/KK, but usually it'll be a medium pair or AQ-AT who wanted a cheap flop, but decided to try and buy the pot when you raised. Obviously this depends greatly on the limit you're playing; the higher the limit, the trickier moves you will see.