gone broke

• tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      It lasted whole 15 sessions...

Today I played my last free money I got from here. Pity I did loose them all. I could say that after the 8. or 9. session I started to play good and did not make any beginner mistakes anymore, but still it has been awful experience for me.

I played SSS NL on pokerstars... But now I am going to leave it, I am certainly not going to invest money on that. Luckily I have another freeroll account on another site, but the software is not registered here..

Is there any possibilty that I could stay on pokerstrategy and get some freerolls for another software?
  • 19 replies
    • kourou
      kourou
      Bronze
      Did you follow the advice on BRM ? ( * You move up a limit when you have 30 buy-ins for that limit in your bankroll.
      * You move to down a limit, when you only have 30 buy-ins for that limit left in your bankroll. )
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kourou
      Did you follow the advice on BRM ? ( * You move up a limit when you have 30 buy-ins for that limit in your bankroll.
      * You move to down a limit, when you only have 30 buy-ins for that limit left in your bankroll. )
      Can't move down from NL10 on pokerstars. They don't allow to play SSS on lower limits than NL10. Otherwise I would have done that.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      I don't know if you can lose 25 BI on the $0.05/0.1 limit only due to a downswing. You must have done something very wrong. Did you post hands and get them reviewed? Did you attend coachings and watched the videos, read all articles for the bronze level?
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      Yes I did! I did watch the live coachings, videos in four languages I know :) And of course was reasing the articles. I also postet some hands I was not sure how to play them.

I must admit at the beginning I did make some mistakes, but I was playing strictly by the rules.

I don't know is it bad luck, but yesterday my QQ, AK, KK and AA got beaten. And that is already -80BB... I really can't say what I did wrong.

I have now 40BB left, because I won yesterday with the last hand and I already wrote this one. Maybe some day I will climb up again.

Tell me, is it because of pokerstars? Is it hard for SSS?
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      I don't think it is. I play SSS on the NL25 and I'm doing good, like $220 now (5bbs per 100 hands in 8000 hands in April) and planning on moving to NL50 in 2 weeks if all is well.

I guess you hit some huge swing then, sorry.
    • AussieIan
      AussieIan
      Bronze
      Even if you go broke, don't give up. I went broke initially (through not following strategy mostly, and poor bankroll management). Use the friend referral system to get yourself another chance. i got $70 that way, and its about $160 at the moment, after a small downswing.

Hopefull though the variance will even itself out and you'll have a nice run of hands holding and build back a bit with what you have left. Good luck
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      $50 isnt enough to learn to play on NL10 SSS, its only 25 stacks. Thats "playable" for someone with some experience but not for someone still making baby steps.

Really PS should only offer the starting capital for poker rooms that offer NL5 or lower SSS buyins.

Tonnek, I would personally advise considering depositing $50 on a new poker room that allows lower than NL10 for SSS. The poker room I use, Titan, offers NL4 to a 25 BB ($1) buy in which is *just* SSS playable.

That would give you 50 buyins for a $50 deposit and plenty of "cushion" space to learn the style profitably.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      I also went broke.... multiple times, till I finally got it.

Poker will cost you your own money one way or another for most people. There are just few who are able to build 50$ into 5k+ or so on their first try on this site.

I blew a couple of smaller rolls before I deposited 100$. Never deposited again after that.
    • KriZ0
      KriZ0
      Bronze
      Don't give up quite yet. I too lost all my 50 starting capital at party poker, the first 40 dollars i didn't knew what i was doing:D THe last 10 I lost on bad luck. Then I sat 55 dollars in at full tilt poker, after af little downswing i'm playing really great, just had an awesome session to night, sat at a table with 2 dollars 10 minutes later i had 8.29 dollars at the table. So I would say that you should give it another try, read the articles here at PS, wahtch some videos attend some coachings, or go read a book and you'll see that you'll get better.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Yea, it sucks to be broke, but it's better to go broke early and keep studying than start out on upswing, consider yourself superior player, climb up the stakes and suddenly get on "downswing".
      You'll do great when next time hit the cash tables because you seem to be actively learning (coachings, vids etc). :)
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jaissica
      $50 isnt enough to learn to play on NL10 SSS, its only 25 stacks. Thats "playable" for someone with some experience but not for someone still making baby steps.

Really PS should only offer the starting capital for poker rooms that offer NL5 or lower SSS buyins.

Tonnek, I would personally advise considering depositing $50 on a new poker room that allows lower than NL10 for SSS. The poker room I use, Titan, offers NL4 to a 25 BB ($1) buy in which is *just* SSS playable.

That would give you 50 buyins for a $50 deposit and plenty of "cushion" space to learn the style profitably.
      I did follow your hint and I am doing very good. Well I have played one session, but I am doing better. So many many thanks for the advice.... I hope, I can come back to pokerstars some day. I really prefer that software :)

But there are good news for now, but again it has been only one session :)
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Make sure you post any questionable decisions on the hand evaluation forums. In fact, its worth simply reading and commenting on others hands in the eval forums as well to improve your game. It made a huge difference to mine :)

Like everyone else I blew my first $50. My second $50 stands at about $750 :)
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      Yes I am reading all the hands <NL25, where there are no stats involved..

I hope I will make my way up again :)
    • Gafny
      Gafny
      Bronze
      Hi tonnek, I'm sorry for your bad start but I admire your motivation to improve and play, which is the key to long term success.

If you're not looking to invest your own money I strongly suggest to find another site that also offers free start capitals. Due to board rules we are not allowed to post links here, but a google search should do it.
      However, in my opinion none of these sites compares to pokerstrategy when it comes to improving your game, so I suggest you take a free capital from another site and use the basic strategy provided by pokerstrategy. After you've build a decent bankroll for NL10 you'll then be able to cash out and use one of pokerstrategy's many deposit bonuses found here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/online-poker-rooms/

When it comes to choosing a new room through pokerstrategy I suggest Everest as the first stop, as this room contains an unbelievable amount of fish and has a bonus which is easily cleared.
      Further info on this is found on the First deposit bonus guide here:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=36299

Hope this helps you :)
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Gredal, amazing signature=) )))

sorry for offtopic=)
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jaissica
      Actually PS recommends beginners to choose PartyPoker. The lowest limit suitable for SSS is NL10. I think Full Tilt is much better suitable for newbies.
    • REmmell
      REmmell
      Bronze
      Hey all.
      Im new to PS about a week now and so far I have only been playing on Mansion. I find there are way to many suckouts on this site but by being patient and applying the basic strategys offered on PS I am up $10.20 playing the .50+.10 / 1.00 + .20 tournaments. I play 5 at a time and find it easier to handle the swings this way since you dont have as many losing sessions in a row like you would one or two games per session.

Basically all I want to say is that if you consistently play the same style of patient grinding poker are making the right decisions in regards to the proper starting hand requirements while mastering the end game strategy (push/fold) you will be successful no matter how many donks you run into.

I have played for 5 years on Fulltilt and it took multiple runs of going broke before I finally was able to start cashing money from my account. Thankfully I have made myself a much better player in the long run but I still have many important aspects to learn before I can call myself a pro. You just have to keep your hopes up and do all you can to make the strategies sink into your brain.

Review, Review,Review and then Review again. Its that simple.
      I have played over 200,000 hands on Fulltilt and Im just starting to see the results I expect from myself.

Keep yourself focused and find ways to drive yourself to the next level. You only lose when you make more mistakes than your opponents remember that and use that as your motivation day in and day out.

See ya ta the top.

REmmell
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      I just have to led it out. Damn this is so annoying. I am playing now on Titan on NL4, so very very micro and after few days I was doing quite well, but since yesterday I constantly loose.

Either it is this way: I hit some playable hand and I raise and noone calls all fold.

Or: I just somehow manage to loose a monster like AA, KK and AK...

I hope my bank will survive this downswing
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Heads up mate, its just variance biting.

Here is my last 8-10 days entries in Elephant -

27/04 +96.84
      28/04 -13.91
      29/04 -29.84
      30/04 +112.55
      2/5 +4.33
      3/5 +90.35
      4/5 +74.40
      5/5 -86.31
      6/5 +24.84

Variance kicks you in the pants every now and then. The 5/5 above -$86.31 in just 819 hands of NL20 SH - when reviewing the disaster only one hand I could identify as tilt, and that WON (87 is my "lucky number" / favourite number) -

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $2.90
      Hero:
      $21.64

0.1/0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8:club: , 7:spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.80, 2 folds, BB raises to $2.90 (All-In), Hero calls $2.10.

Flop: ($5.90) T:heart: , 9:spade: , 3:spade:
      Turn: ($5.90) A:heart:
      River: ($5.90) 6:club: (1 players)

Final Pot: $5.90

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a straight, ten high (8c 7s)
      BB shows three of a kind, aces (Ac Ad)

Hero wins with a straight, ten high (8c 7s)

KK cracked by a gutshot for $21, JJ topped by QQ on a rag board for $19.70, and monster draw missing in a passive line for $11.75 are the only losses over $10 for a -86 session. Nearly all the rest is raised hands that missed. I just couldnt hit a flop. I was shooting like a stormtrooper.

It happens :) Just got to chin up through it and come out the other side without losing your mind.

Make sure you are reviewing your losing hands and if you are uncomfortable with how you played, post them on those review boards :)