15 days to bankruptcy

• flopraiser
      I have been playing NL5 on party poker and have lost 8 BI in 3 days, is it usual to get such a swing like this. Have made a couple of mistakes but have been sucked out quite a few times. Was doing quite well up till this point, not really changed my style of play but can't win a hand (played around 1k hands) Its a frustating game at times. Would be interested to know how bad it can really get in order to prepare myself for the worse as i'm guessing i've only scatched the surface of a downswing.
  • 4 replies
    • luitzen
      I have the same problem at Full Tilt. My total cash game profit is now around -$70. This is going on for around 10k hands now. I returned to micro stakes, invested more time in studying my play and now I'm pretty stable. Lost $13 yesterday, only $3 today. I set myself certain limits like: "when I drop below $75 I'll stop playing immediately, take a break, read some articles, study a lot and then restart. I'll keep playing both micro stakes levels untill I made at least 500 BBs profit at both. After that I'll see what to do, probably move up around that time.
    • mishkagg
      A downswing can last very long. I haven't experienced such but they say it can even go up to 5000 hands. So buckle up and take the hits.
    • Zeffke
      Hi flopraiser,

Downswings and/or breakeven stretches are frequent once u play a lot of hands, you just have to fight your way through them.

However 8 buyins in 1000 hands is a lot, so I advice you to take review some pokerstrategy-articles again, post some hands (not only the hands you lose big, but also some hands that you didn't know how to play,...) and to attend as much coachings as possible.

This will help you to plug some leaks, win more money and become a better player!!

Good luck!
    • Hackett77
      Can I just I think saying stuff to yourself like "once I get below $75 down illquit for the day" is totally the wrong way to think.

THis is a very dangerous way of thinking if you understand how our brains and subconsious operates

You are bound to finish the day losing as thats what youve set out to do and its how our brains function, You mindsight is that of a losing player and you achieve exactly what you imagine you will do.

Tommorow, Tell yourself you will quit once you have made $50 and beleive it, play your normal game and im sure things will look up.