Quiz.. guidelines instead of rules?

• Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      well.. i tried the quiz twice now.. and failed both times. I read all the guides while i was doing it and failed twice. But really, there isn't something like if you do this in every situation like that you will win. thats just rediculous.
      I see them more as guidelines but its said like you have to play like that every time.

And ok, im not a poker professional. Although im fairly good at poker (haven't played for real money though) and i even won a little poker tournament at school yesterday where 50-100 players were playing in. So i know that im pretty good at it.

I just think you should make the guide more clear. Because even when i try to do exactly how the guides tell me, i still fail the test.
  • 17 replies
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      forgot that you could change language.. since english isn't my native language. I will try it again when i can in dutch. Although i've always been good at english so i doubt it will matter at all.
    • Jonaton
      Jonaton
      Bronze
      Please do not go into your poker career thinking you played some play money tables, did well and are now a "fairly good poker player". When there is no money involved people play absurdly bad poker, once that changes so does the game, even at the lowest limits it is different than play money. Beating a few school kids is also not much of an indication that you are a good player, I am not saying you aren't you very well may be, but if you've never played for money you've never really played poker.

If you are failing the test you are not following the guide properly
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hi Hahaownedlolz

It sounds like you are on the correct path... the trick to passing the quiz is that there is no trick.

The answers are all in the articles so just diligently read and apply the information as it appears and I'm sure you'll pass.

If you read a question you think you know the answer to, please ensure the article agrees with you - any past knowledge you have acquired will not necessarily agree with the PokerStrategy.com strategies!

Best of luck, and we'll see you soon on the forum boards!
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Also I'm guessing you chose the NL quiz and therefore are learning the short stack strategy. If this is the case then there are no mere guidlines in the articles but very strict rules. If you try to play the SSS and don't stick to what you learned from the articles entirely you will lose your bankroll.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jonaton
      When there is no money involved people play absurdly bad poker, once that changes so does the game, even at the lowest limits it is different than play money.
      This is so amazingly true it's unbelievable. Play money games are always a complete joke. You have a better chance at winning if you play blackjack.

However even at the $0.01/$0.02 level it turns into a serious poker game. People may be a little more loose and not very skilled, but it's the real deal. (I played a few $0.10 SNGs on Everest when I thought about trying those out. I was amazed to see how hard people fought to win even though 1st place only won $0.50.)
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      i guess you guy are right. play money isn't real money .. true.. but dont act like play money is only amateurs playing.

yes ofcourse there are many noob players, but you can still learn alot at playing at those tables. And personally i dont think the difference is that big. You think everyone plays loose at play money tables? think again.. There are alot of players who play really tight and ofcourse very aggressive players. most of the players who are playing take it serious , and play as good as they can. When your playing for higher amounts at play money tables. (so no low lvl noob tables) You will see many good players, since its impossible to get htat many play money chips by getting lucky.

so imo you guys think play money is really easy. and yes it may not be real money. and ofcourse ppl will take a bit more risks, but that doesn't mean that they are a great way of learning poker. and if your playing at the high sit en go tournies at poker stars your obviously a very good poker player.
      (im not saying i am, im just saying i've learned alot by playing at play money tables, im going to try the quiz again but now in dutch.. hope it will go better)
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      If they're that good at play money, ask yourself one question...

Why aren't they playing with REAL money and making a fortune?

You're trying to a make an argument that PLAY money is equal to REAL money gaming. IT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE!

The sooner you understand that point, the sooner you can start to play with the real money PS will give you.

Play money = no risk = no incentive to improve = never learn
    • ashparagon
      ashparagon
      Bronze
      Hahaownedlolz 's just like a frog in the well thinking he has seen the whole world. The fact is that he is so stubborn shows his attitude towards the quiz (and thus failing it, never taking them seriously). Oh ya of course play money are full of amateurs. I dare to say anyone of us here can get a 1000% ROI or even more in a day if we play play money. That's how much poker strategy has taught us. Please refrain from blaming the poker strategy's guide here Hahaownedlolz. The fact is that you are overconfident and stuck with your beliefs that's why you failed the quiz. For starter, do not even think you are a fairly good player if you have only so little amount of experience in real money tables. That mindset will cost you alot of money. Just my 2 cents worth.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      STR82ACE just because you dont care about the chips and play very aggressive doesn't mean everyone is the same.

Ever thougt that maybe just maybe some people just enjoy playing poker but don't want to play for real money ? maybe they don't have alot of money to risk playing for real money. and yes there is a risk.. when you lose you lose chips. Just because you see the chips as worthless many people don't. POKER = POKER. at pokerstars you start with 1k chips and there are sit en go's for 100k. You will have to win many games to win that amount, and the only way by doing that is by playing good at poker. and just stop bashing play money tables and get on pokerstars and earn some chips.. when you have a decent amount(10k+) i would gladly play heads up against any of you.

And people.. get back on topic.. this thread isn't about play money -.-
      anyway, i wont be watching the thread anymore. I failed it again in dutch for the third time *sigh* . it would be useful if you could see how many mistakes you actualy made cause it keeps saying i almost made it >.>
      Hahaownedlolz 's just like a frog in the well thinking he has seen the whole world. The fact is that he is so stubborn shows his attitude towards the quiz (and thus failing it, never taking them seriously). Oh ya of course play money are full of amateurs. I dare to say anyone of us here can get a 1000% ROI or even more in a day if we play play money

jeez.. stop attacking me -.- and chill. And dont put words in my mouth, you dont know me so dont act like you do. I hate cocky people like you. and im not stubborn and i am trying to follow exactly the guide, and not like i would play the game. For example the guide would tell me to fold a pair a queens which i would almost never do before the flop.

oh and please go on pokerstars, and get a 1 million chips.. then we will talk
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      You WANT to play with fake money, be my guest

When you grow up and want to play for REAL money, and think the experience on the play tables will make you a competitor, come find me and join my table.

Just telling you that play money is not real. We all realize it here. But if you want to be stubborn about it and try to justify, ignore all our warnings and waste your time.
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Hahaownedlolz, PS guides are just guidelines (unless it is SSS), but as a starting player you are much safer following them, than deviating from them. As you improve, you get PS articles that actually TELL YOU to deviate from beginners strategy.

If you are very confident in your abilities, the answer is simple: make a large deposit on one of the platforms, start a blog and show all these fockers who's the daddy. I would suggest starting at about $5 buyins, because lower limits are absolutely crazy and you won't prove anything by playing there.
      I luv seafood.

And talking about fake money... poker HAS to be played for real money. If you don't want to believe it, do as I said before. Make a sound deposit and start a blog.

Good luck!
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      yeah i know..

my point was just that im not completely new to poker. i know im kinda beginner and that it takes a long time to master poker. But that im not a complete noob and have some experience.

And since its a beginners quiz and NOT a professional poker quiz. I shouldn't have such a hard time completing it. i Did no limit twice and sit en go once.. failed every time.. I might just answer like i would play instead of trying to follow the guide =| that might help
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Hmmm. sorry for the stupid question, but are you sure you're not doing FL quiz?=)

Just check it. I think NL SSS is the easiest one. all the answers are in the articles.

Not completely noob in your situation is very likely to be equal to "i know the main rules". I've played seriously for 2 months now, boosting my $50 into $450 and i still consider myself a total noob.

Just remember that poker is very difficult cause you are your coach and manager and everithing. Self asessment is VERY important and you seem to lack it.

I'd love to see your blog, even though its likely to be biased towards PS articles (you're likely to start following them just to prove to everyone that you're a winner. or after you loose a few bankrolls).
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      i've been playing for about 6 months now.(i learned the rules from a flash game [not sure if im allowed to mention it so i wont] and then learned to play it by playing alot for play money, and also watched alot of poker tournaments on tv to see how the proffessionals were playing. I ofcourse still make mistakes, and always try new strategies out to see how they work)

(for example on the school tourny i bluffed alot at the start, and then when i did get a great hand they thougt i was bluffing :) simple strategie but it worked)

Anyway.. i guess i should have completely read the guides before i did the quiz instead of doing the quiz and then looking it up :P

I read the complete guide this time and i passed it :D Not sure how you can delete the thread. But its all fine now. Not sure if im posting again on this forum seeing as how unfriendly most of you have been.
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Don't post=) especially, never post sample hands=) lol

good luck! trust me, you'll need a lot of it.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello Hahaownedlolz,

Good to see you have passed the quiz - its actually not that hard once you've read all the articles.

When I started a long time ago I also thought I was a decent player - since I had played for a few months with friends and on some play money tables. From my experience I can only say it is best to go into poker with the attitude of "I know nothing" since most of what you might have learned up until this point is probably 'bad'.

Online poker requires very good mathematically based play. Learning this takes a lot of time and discipline.

On the topic of Dutch and English; we not only offer the quiz in Dutch - but also have the entire site (so articles, videos, coachings and even the forums) in Dutch: http://nl.pokerstrategy.com/home/

You might want to check it out ;)

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • cucilo6a
      cucilo6a
      Basic
      but unfortunatelly there is something wrong woth it or it's main purpose is to make me read all forums. i have read he articles 3 times carefully and took notes of all main points . i am 1005sure i have answered correctly and it still do not let me pass also i do notthink of spending another night waiting for the stupid quizz i want to play poker!