Nice one - thanks

• funjubulus
      funjubulus
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I joined a short while ago and cant thank you enough. I thought i knew a bit about poker (naively) and lost a few quid of my own money - not much but enough to get me thinking there must be a site that can teach me where i'm going wrong.

and here i am... having found this site, got my starting capital and within a week doubled it (i know that's modest but it's a good start i reckon).

So thanks for helping me and i hope to improve further and move up the tables to make some decent winnings but in the meantime i'll keep on enjoying learning.

Rob
  • 4 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi funjubulus & welcome to the PokerStrategy family :)

Congrats on your good start with the starting capital, but don't forget the golden BRM (Bankroll management) rule, to ensure you get the most out of it. Doubing the starting $50 within a week sounds dangerous to me and I think your probably playing either outside BRM or too aggressively.

Each to their own of course, your entitled to play how you like, but by following the strategies in our strategy section, you are more likely to do better and get more out of the money long term.

Don't forget our Forum too is extremely popular with all our members and is an ideal place to ask questions, share experiences or post a few sample hands that your not to sure of how to play profitably.

You will find that all of our members are very friendly and very keen to help each other too.

Welcome again and we wish you every success and enjoyment in your poker.

Best regards,

Bart
    • funjubulus
      funjubulus
      Bronze
      Hi and thanks for your input.

Thankfully i'd like to say i'd done it easy and by being ambitious but i haven't. I started on 0.2/0.5, made decent progress ($30) and then lost all that in a few hours. It made me really tighten up and since then i've had minor up and downswings (relative to my stack/time of play) but overall (by using techniques learned here) i'm still doing ok. Now playing .5/.10 as my bankroll is allowing that.

I'm also waiting to get to $150 before moving up the tables.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Thats good funjubulus,

Yes it's always tempting to play aggressively above BRM (<<worn that particular T shirt myself many times in my pre-PokerStrategy days :P ), but it's better to build up slowly.

Priority is learning as you go, develop your game, strategy and player reads etc. Will definately be worth it when you do get to the higher levels.

Have every faith in you and don't forget to have fun...funjubulus :)

Bart
    • funjubulus
      funjubulus
      Bronze
      Thanks man. My goal is to recover the money i lost on pokerstars prior to finding this site. I've got $13 left in that account and need to try and boost it to over $130 to achieve that particular goal.
      Along the way i'll try to learn as much as possible here and with any luck and some decent skills might pull it off!
      That will take a long time at the low limits though and in the meantime i'm happy to keep learning with my starting capital at FTP.