Werdna
      Bronze
      Known players:        
      UTG1:
      $9.85
      Hero:
      $2.49

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A:club: , K:diamond:
      UTG1 raises to $0.40, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2.49 (All-In), 5 folds, UTG1 calls $2.09.

Flop: ($5.13) T:heart: , 9:diamond: , J:spade:
      Turn: ($5.13) 2:club:
      River: ($5.13) 9:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $5.13

Not sure whether I should really have gone all in pre-flop or just standard reraise ($1.20) and fold if and when villain bets?

However if I had raised to 1.20 pre-flop and villain doesn't raise I'm supposed to go all in anyway according to the articles...which also say that AK is a hand to always go all in with pre-flop if someone raises behind me. Or is that part of the article just to keep things simpler for beginners?

I'm trying to improve my game and when I analize my hands I keep wondering where I can either save some money here or here or gain more profit.
  • 4 replies
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      I think preflop you should make a standard 3x raise, because that's less than 50% of your stack. So, raise preflop and play flop according to strategy.

About your question, I think you made the most profitable move by making him call your all-in with QJs. ;) ...not that results would matter tho...
    • Werdna
      Werdna
      Bronze
      Originally posted by burek2000
      I think preflop you should make a standard 3x raise, because that's less than 50% of your stack. So, raise preflop and play flop according to strategy.
      That's where there seems to be a conflict in the articles...which is why I'm wondering whether the below mentioned is just keeping it "simple" for beginners?

4 + 1 or all-in

The size of your bet/raise depends on whether or not someone else has already bet. The easiest case is when an opponent bets in front of you, in which case you go all-in. If not, you'll have to do some math.
      How much do you raise to?

* If no one has raised yet, you raise 4 Big Blinds. Add one Big Blind for every player that has already called.
      * If an opponent raises before or after you, you go all-in.

About your question, I think you made the most profitable move by making him call your all-in with QJs. ;) ...not that results would matter tho...
      Oh...shouldn't post the results should I? :)

Thanks for the tips...
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      ...the articles are just fine, also pushing preflop in this hand is just fine, the only thing is you play with maximum sized stack that is still playable according to the strategy and therefore standard raise would be a bit better than direct push, but it's very close. With any stack smaller than 24BB it's the best to push all-in directly preflop. So, you see following the strategy is never a mistake, but if you post hands here we'll try to give you more detailed info on specific hands.

About results, yeah, judges don't like them. =)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I push preflop since you only hit something postflop 33% of the time with AKo

And I dont like to miss the flop & still have to push - feeling :(