Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $30.41
      Hero:
      $24.01

0.1/0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T:diamond: , T:spade:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.80, 3 folds, BB calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.70) 2:club: , 6:spade: , 9:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.20, BB calls $1.20.

Turn: ($4.10) K:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($4.10) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $2.20, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $6.30

What does he call with on this dry flop that I can beat? 78? 88?
      Hes oop and calling? Seems like trouble to me...
  • 7 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hello,
      He seems nitty but on this board he is calling probably 55-88, also something like 98 or 78(less likely given his VPIP).Still , I prefer betting again the turn and giving on the river if called, but with your line, once you check behind turn, you have to call a river bet, especially on such a good card.

Best regards,
      darkonebg

[size=10]If you have any further questions about this hand,
      dont hesitate to ask them in this thread,
      and dont forget to click the "Advise the judge of taking another look " button in the reply form.[/size]
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

Flop: I'd bet a bit more, ~$1.40.
      Turn: Betting again.

As played
      River: I am Calling here.

Best regards,
      Rensu
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello,

As played

Best regards,
      Rensu
      Please add some reasons to your recommendations, thnx
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello,

As played

Best regards,
      Rensu
      Please add some reasons to your recommendations, thnx

Flop: I'd bet a bit more, ~$1.40. (betting because trying to find out if my hand is strong enough :P )
      Turn: Betting again. (betting because then my hand will look kinda strong and we will very often get a free showdown and also sometimes he might even fold better hands because of his stats)

As played
      River: I am Calling here. (went for pot control on turn and it's unlikely that the K helped him on turn and he could be trying to bluff us out because he saw our weakness on turn when we checked)

Hope it makes sense now. :)
    • HannesNL
      HannesNL
      Bronze
      Bet flop bigger for value,
      Bet turn K is a perfect scarecard, you should also check behind sometimes for bluffinduce and pot controll, it will mix up your game so you wont be exploited.

noway im ever folding river here.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      thnx guys, seems Im a little too paranoid as to their holdings, but I must learn to go for pot control as opposed to folding.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      BB is probably too tight to limp a bad king hand much less call the flop with it, but looks classy enough to guess that a 2 6 9 flop probably doesnt help you.

If BB had hit a set check-raise-broke or donk-raise-broke on the flop is the only lines id expect from a TAG OOP. Check-call is TAG's way of saying "I have a PP and I think youve got air".

Youve got to play your hand, his hand and what he thinks your hand is. Your hand is TT and probably the best hand on that flop. His hand is 22-99 minus sets, maybe 9x suited connectors, very unlikely but remotely possibly 6x suited connectors after the cold call to cbet on the flop. He thinks your hand is possibly an overpair but most likely two of AKQJT.

Thus a bet on the K is not only a value bet, but will normally cause the villain to fold to your "AK" or "KQ", which is the sort of hand he has put you on. The villain almost never could hold a K here as a TAG, so your hand is still the best hand unless the villain is playing a set very, very slow. You can bet-fold quite confidently here. At worst you should get a free showdown if he check-calls.

So bet turn is a good option, but check behind to bluff induce isnt hopeless either. The chance the villain will set up (assuming PP that missed) is ~1/23, while the chance villain will catch 9s or 6s up (assuming 9x 6x suited connectors) is ~1/9. Thus at least 8/9 times I expecet any bet from the villain will be a bluff, allowing us to check behind for a bluff induce with confidence.

On the river you get the bluff/small value bet you induced but fold to it, having failed to read villain's hand and his opinion of your hand. He now thinks you have ace high air and hopes to extract a little value from it or take the pot down without showing his pocket 8s. Personally as villain here with 88 id have bet maybe $1.20 trying to get a crying call from hands like AT AJ AQ.