The STOP trigger

• mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      So I guess most of us have something to remind them when to stop playing if losing byuins.

From what I've gathered it's the 4 buy in loss which I use too and it's very good.

But I guess today was a big exception cause in the course of 130 hands (20 minutes) I lost 4 buyins and I thought it's ok to continue playing. But my run went bad and in another 100 hands I lost 3 more. And I reviewed the hands and as hard as it to believe it wasn't tilt and I'm going to post them later in the day. But I am ok with the way I played those hands, really.

I guess I should've stopped at the 4th BI loss and that's my mistake here. But I just lost count as 3 losses happened in 1 minute - two times with AK preflop and an A or a K on the flop and one with QQ - boom, boom, boom and they were gone so they didn't feel like 3 losses but more like one.

So I need something to remind me of lost buy ins and keep the exact track of them. And later I checked the bankroll to see how much I've lost and it was 4 Bi already from some reraises where I folded, unsuccessful steals or completely missed flops etc.

Is someone using something to remind you of losses or do you trust in your memory?
      I was thinking to make a pile of 4 coins and remove a coin whenever I lose a buy in or something like that. Or keep the cashier window open and check it from time to time or even both of these things cause with virtual money I can't exactly keep track especially in a longer session.

Any tips are useful and welcome!
  • 13 replies
    • icems
      icems
      Bronze
      I use Poker Tracker - it shows av. BB/100 @ the present session as well as +/- $ so you know at all times where you stand. I lost 3 buyins yesterday, One to some fish (sorry, but how would you describe a guy, who limps with 5-9s, calls 4BB raise and then calls 3/4pot bet both on the flop and the turn with gutshot only to complete it on the river?!), the other two were standard QQ vs KK, AK 2 pair vs straigth on the turn (JQ). I lost those 3 BI in like 50 minutes and then spent about 4 hours to get it back, which i was happy to succeed in, with 1 BI profit in the end :)
      So - Poker Tracker would be my advice. Maybe Elephant provides such function too, dunno really.
    • StusMagic
      StusMagic
      Bronze
      If you werent tilting after those 4 buyins lost why stop playing you cant change how cards are gonna come you stop playing today after 4 loses and lose that 3 buyins tommorow.Stop loss is for tilting players who get on tilt and cant control themselves anymore
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Yeah, I get it's intended for tilting players and I don't have this issue cause I look at the bankroll as a tool for climbing limits and I am not trying to recover losses just for the sake of it.

But I need some timeline or a number of hands per session... I just need something solid so I know when to stop. I now realize I am just typing my thoughts here and people can't answer me cause it all depends on amount I play but still some examples of when do people stop playing for the day would be great.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      You playing BSS or SSS,,,,,,,,what limit?
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      SSS, NL25 at PokerStars. What does it matter what's the strategy and the limit?
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I usually Tilt without knowing it after losing 1 BI, even if it wasn't bad play. I notice in the next hands when I play stupid and lose a 1/4-1/2 stack.

My stop-loss is a stack I guess
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      I don't agree with stop losses it's like saying "ok, if I lose $xxx dollars I will tilt and leave" instead of thinking "if I start playing wrong I'll stop" which should be the right approach playing poker.

I try also to not keep checking my bankroll at the middle of the session , the way you are running shouldn't affect your play and that's when tilt comes in.
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mishkagg
      SSS, NL25 at PokerStars. What does it matter what's the strategy and the limit?
      the limit doesnt matter so much I don't think, but strategy DEF matters.

4 BI for SSS is nothing. You can easily lose 10 BI at a moment just off running bad, but playing right.

4 BI for BSS IS a much bigger deal.
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      Yeah, I get it's intended for tilting players and I don't have this issue cause I look at the bankroll as a tool for climbing limits and I am not trying to recover losses just for the sake of it.

But I need some timeline or a number of hands per session... I just need something solid so I know when to stop. I now realize I am just typing my thoughts here and people can't answer me cause it all depends on amount I play but still some examples of when do people stop playing for the day would be great.
      I personally don't set any BI limit for the day. My game is quite swingy kind of like SSS, but as long as I know I'm playing well, I'll keep going. If at times I realize I'm playing hands I shouldn't be, I take a break and come back. Have played a 1-3k hand sessions quite a few times, sometimes its 100-200. All depends on how I'm feeling that day, and if my minds behind what I'm doing.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dadude774 BI for BSS IS a much bigger deal.
      Is it really? Percent-wise it's the same hit on your bankroll as it is with the SSS if one folloes the 30 buyins rule with both strategies. And if the losses are done with the same cards like AA, KK, AK, QQ with which you can go allin preflop I don't see a huge difference,

And finally I've come to the conclusion that I don't need a stop trigger except time cause today I played like a 1000 hands and at first I was down 5 more buyins with our favorite hands and then I continued to play like I'm supposed to. The magic happened and I won 8 buyins until I decided that 1000 hands is enough for me. And what's more important is that I continued playing cause I just had faith that I can find the strength to play just like I am supposed to.

Everyday - something new.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze

Is it really?
      Yes, because you are much more seldom all in when playing with a big stack than when you play with a short stack. You can play whole sessions without having your whole stack on the table even once.

When playing short stack youre trying to get all in, so of course you're more likely to lose BIs!
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Fongie, I get that but out of curiosity - aren't you trying to go all in with AA and KK with the BSS too? At least that's my impression from the SHC. Or are you always trying to outsmart the opponents on the later streets even with monster starting hands?
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      aren't you trying to go all in with AA and KK with the BSS too? At least that's my impression from the SHC. Or are you always trying to outsmart the opponents on the later streets even with monster starting hands?
      with BSS FR you go broke PF with AA/KK and can go broke against the right play on the right flop also. with BSS SH you can go broke with AA/KK/QQ/AK and you can go broke on the flop for the same reasons as above.

The one thing to watch out for on FR is those players who are set mining when you raise from Early Position.

With BSS when you hit a monster its usually best to just bet and get it in because there are so many bad players who can get it in with worse, you should only slowplay the nuts against aggressive players who you know will bet themselves broke =)

Also speaking about stop loss limits I personally don't think that they are needed (but I do use super nitty BRM) if you are on tilt and you know you are you should be able to walk away from the table or get back into your "A game" mindset. I usually have set number of hands that I try to reach per day but sometimes you want to play more and somedays you want to play less (this is due to winning alot or losing alot though usually)