HU SnG. Any strategies?

• mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Hi all!

I've been trying some HU NL SnGs and i've got few questions about them.

First, is HU variance smaller than regulat 10-seaters?

Second, are there any good articles on HU tournament stratregy. I know that it really depends on opponent, and i'm going to derive my own system for HU anyway, but it would be great to have a starting point instead of spending a week on something which is already well-known=)

Cheers!
  • 4 replies
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      Some basics of HU... play alot In Position (sb),try to defend not so much because you are Out Of Position. In the early stages raise something like 3 to 3.5 BBs and maybe 1 or 2 levels after start raising something like 2.5 or 2( min raise), after the 3rd level which is like 40/80 you should only min raise maybe you can raise 2.5 BB if your raising from the BB after a loose open Complete. Find out what kind of opponent he is as early as you can... also be aware of when players tighten up (some players are really loose early and once the play reaches like 40/80 maybe 50/100 they get tight)
      Also any pair that you hit on the flop is pretty strong, because in HU most of the time nobody flops anything.

These are just a few things I learned from watching the $33 HU SnG video at pokerstrategy which is in the gold section.

I am not so sure about variance but in HU games (but I am sure its more swingy than FullRing sngs) there are Clear losers and winners... any positive ROI is good no matter what you play
    • luckskaiworker
      luckskaiworker
      Bronze
      i play loose the whole time and bluff, semibluff, semibluff raise against good players
      and against donks just standard poker, really rare bluffing
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by luckskaiworker
      i play loose the whole time and bluff, semibluff, semibluff raise against good players
      and against donks just standard poker, really rare bluffing
      what kind of ROI are you achieving with this strategy and over how many games is this sample size? also at which stakes?
    • luckskaiworker
      luckskaiworker
      Bronze
      i just play really rare heads ups but my roi there should be around 15-20% on ~200 games
      i play heads ups just up to 5$

doesnt mean i bluff always but most times i try to steal the pot on the flop, especially from the button
      i preflop raise most times to 2-2,5 times the blind
      will get the image of a big bluffing, agressive player what helps me to get value if i hit

if the blinds are growing big, up to 1/11 of my/his stack, i just switch to sage and push/fold like shown here (just call as loose as written there if he is pushing as loose as us)

but i more like to play short handed sngs sometimes
      my favorourite games are mtts where my roi is a lot bigger so i am not really interested in hu sitn goes