Little confuse about calculation

• Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      SHORT STACKS

Short stacks are 6 to 15 BBs. You'll have to be careful, since they can't afford to sit back and wait for good hands while other players knock each other out. They also have enough chips to be dangerous. You will be behind against a lot of hands they push with on the one hand; but a short stack' push always gives you good odds, on the other.

Take a look at this example: You have 15 BBs and steal raise to 3 BBs from the CO. The BU pushes to 8 BBs and the blinds fold. Now the pot the is 1.5 + 3 + 8 =12.5 BBs, and you have to invest 5 BBs more. This gives you 2.5:1 pot odds. You, therefore, "only" have to win 32% of the time for the call to be profitable. (You have to win 28% of the time to break even in chips, but must compensate for a 4% loss in the ICM). As you can see, a steal against a shorty effectively forces you to risk your whole stack if they push, even if you are far behind their range.

this is part of an silver article.

My doubt is: How he gets to 28%?

heh! thank you!
  • 3 replies
    • Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      hello??
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Given the pot odds you need to win more than 40% of the time to be profitable here, I don't know how the other percentages are worked out ?(
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by p0kerQT
      Given the pot odds you need to win more than 40% of the time to be profitable here, I don't know how the other percentages are worked out ?(
      When you are getting 1:2.5 don't you only need to have about 29% Equity to make this profitable. I am getting this # from Xarrys SSS Equity Chart that he made. (it has some charts that help poker players in general not just SSS)
      Also the fact that his bet is 8BBs into a pot which was 4.5BBs and he is betting about 2 times the size of the pot on his side he needs to make you fold about 67% of the time to make it profitable for him. So maybe this is why we need about 33% equity to make it profitable in the long run ??? (not sure if that is correct though :( )