Returning to SSS: Analysis, Advice, Help Needed

• cyzo
      I was introduced to poker by this site last August, began using SSS with the starting capital, did well, and have successfully played a wide variety of poker variants while making enough to cover college expenses this year without ever putting in any money that was not already won on poker, so I am not new to the game, SSS, or the theory behind all of it.

Now, I am strongly considering returning to SSS in order to play a large volume and accumulate VPPs on PokerStars. I have started at NL25 with $60, and have only played a few short sessions thusfar, though I will be able to play more frequently after this semester. My stats are as follows over 4 sessions totalling 168.4 minutes (small sample size, I know):

stake: $0.1/0.25 NL
      hands: 1863
      bb/100: 6.62
      bb/hour: 43.97
      $: $30.85
      $WatSD: $30.20
      $WwoSD: $0.65
      VPIP%: 9.1
      PFR%: 8
      PFallin%: 1.1
      VPPs/hand: 0.11

I intend to use fairly conservative BRM.

As the title would suggest, I am basically looking for any input or help that anyone might have to offer. I probably will not be able to post any sample hands, as I never really watch my hands to see how they turn out, so I am unlikely to identify anything in particular. However, HEM does show that my losing (-$ when I VP$IP) are AJo, AQs, and, in particular, AA (likely a consequence of the small sample size). Hopefully I will have thousands more hands at the end of the week.
  • 5 replies
    • cyzo
      I have played closer to 7k hands now and am still making money, but I found what appears to be a MAJOR leak in my game.

I am losing a lot of money with AK. I am including a link to a spreadsheet entiled AK.csv showing what my preflop action was, when I went allin, what cards came up, who won, etc.

If anyone can help me to identify what I am doing incorrectly with this hand (I assume I should be folding it more?), I would greatly appreciate it.

• xponentx
      With 7k hands, you can't have had AK that often, maybe max 50 times? Wait until you have an AK sample of 1k+ before you make any assessments. AK is a very swingy hand with SSS, since you will often be pushing on the flop with air.

I only have an AK sample of 300 over 25k hands, but it's 200+ BB/100, so I think you can safely assume it will even out.
    • Tim64
      I agree. AK is an underdog to any pocket pair going into the flop. On a board with low cards or suited or connected cards, it's sometimes appropriate to miss out on the standard c-bet. (If your opponent doesn't believe you've hit he'll often call you down when hands like AK become expensive.)

p.s. Although I understand what you're saying about not wanting to post hands - because you want to play volume and don't have time - it's really the best option for improving if you suspect a leak. It's hard to give advice in the abstract. Better to post hands for a week or so and then be confident your game is up to scratch than to rely on sheer volume to counteract the leaks. i.e. IMO, winrate/table is more important than number of tables.
    • alejandrosh
      actually AK should be a hand easy to play. you raise preflop (or 3bet if someone raised before)

if you flop a gutshot , flush draw, pair or whatever the plan is going broke if you don't flop anything then cbet fold.

that's should be enough to play it profitably on nl25. just don't make assumptions without a big enough sample , 2k hands is nothing
    • burek2000
      8/9.1 look like stats of good SSS player, so that's fine.

As others said before you need a large sample size to get the realistic picture of statistics. AK is definitely a very profitable hand to play, however could be swingy as players like to go broke with PPs on lower limits and you have many coinflips with AK.

You said you're using HEM, so I believe you do have a database with handhistories of hands you played, so one really good way to improve your game is to look at the hands after the session, analyze your hands and post on the forum hands you are not sure of. Because without analyzing your own game it's practically impossible to find leaks in your game.