Quiz of the Week: FL - Made Hands on the Flop

• vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      We have another quiz for our Fixed Limit players and the topic for today is, like the title says it, "Made hands on the flop".

In order to be sure you know how to play your made hands once the flop came, read (or re-read) the silver Fixed Limit strategy article called How to play made hands on the flop.

When you're ready, feel free to click on the link below and take the quiz.

Important: The quiz is designed for FL silver-ranked members mainly. However, from now on we will let everyone take the quiz, seeing as how there have been many requests to do so.

Good luck and let us know how you did! :)
  • 13 replies
    • irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      I got 61%, semi-happy but must try harder IMO. :D
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      You have achieved a total 16 of 18 possible points. This corresponds to 89 %!

And I knew it where I did wrong :)
    • irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CoreySteel

And I knew it where I did wrong :)
      Show off! :P
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      It was about time I can show off with these quizzes! :D
      I was never good with them before... Reading material helps.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      You have achieved a total 18 of 18 possible points. This corresponds to 100 %!

harharhar
    • Rubbertoe84
      Rubbertoe84
      Bronze
      i got 15 out of 18, quite happy, slightly disagree with one of the answers though,the one eith ak and you flop a str8, wouldn´t it be better to call the flop and then raise the river?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      You have achieved a total 18 of 18 possible points. This corresponds to 100 %!

16 - 18 points

Congratulations! You've answered most of the questions correctly and can be proud of yourself. You've understood the basic principles of playing made hands on the flop and have even managed to master more difficult situations.

You know when to build a pot, when to protect your hand and when to switch back a gear and give up. You've even correctly assessed tough spots where you can't be sure where you're at.

Playing made hands on the flop is only the beginning, though. You should now deal with playing draws and how to approach the other streets. As you have already understood this part well, it shouldn't be too hard.

Now i'm like yoghi.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze

Folded the paired board but the answer makes sense. ;)
      And wanted to protect KJ with second pair but I like the idea of just calling. (A raise with a turnbet for a freeshowdown isn't that bad.)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black

I would slowplay in hand #1 (didn't realize there're 4 of us and I like slowplaying nuts :f_cool: ) and fold JTs on J99 (it depends on players imo)...
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ciRith

And wanted to protect KJ with second pair but I like the idea of just calling. (A raise with a turnbet for a freeshowdown isn't that bad.)
      Hey ciRith.. snap! Got the same answers.. but for me the answers don't make sense...

The answer says you get 17.5:1 for the call although I read the action as giving at best 16.5:1 if you assume CO calls? Do you count your own bet or am I just dense (well, more so than usual)?!

The answer also says you need 22.5:1 to the turn and 11:1 to the river to call given if you hit the T:heart: you've got 10 outs to the boat or better.

This I just don't get - the 10 outs bit no problem, but how does that translate from the flop? With 2 outs you need 22.5:1 to call, you're getting either 16.5:1 or 17.5:1. Is this an implied odds thing? You assume you get at least 2.5BB if you hit, therefore 5SB, therefore 5 + 17.5:1 = 22.5?

As for the KJ hand not needing protection, are there not enough draws worth protecting against? KT, QT, worse Jx, 6x? Or are those draws so weak that they don't need protecting against v 2 villians?

As opposed to the question 6 TT hand 3 way on the 5:heart: Q:heart: 6:spade: flop where the flush draw is much stronger and therefore protecting the hand from the draw is that much more important?

And just to clarify your comment - do you mean raise flop, bet turn for free SD is okay with KJ on this board?
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze

fluke lol, I have only been playing FL for a week and havent started on the silver articles yet. Nice to see the explanations are along the same lines as my thought processes though.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      Originally posted by ciRith

Hey ciRith.. snap! Got the same answers.. but for me the answers don't make sense...

The answer says you get 17.5:1 for the call although I read the action as giving at best 16.5:1 if you assume CO calls? Do you count your own bet or am I just dense (well, more so than usual)?!

The answer also says you need 22.5:1 to the turn and 11:1 to the river to call given if you hit the T:heart: you've got 10 outs to the boat or better.

This I just don't get - the 10 outs bit no problem, but how does that translate from the flop? With 2 outs you need 22.5:1 to call, you're getting either 16.5:1 or 17.5:1. Is this an implied odds thing? You assume you get at least 2.5BB if you hit, therefore 5SB, therefore 5 + 17.5:1 = 22.5?
      With CO calling it would be 17,5:1. Your invested bet counts too as it's not your anymore.
      10,5 preflop + 1 Hero + 1 CO + 2 raise + 2 coldcall = 16,5 + 1 CO call = 17,5.

The answer with you 10 outs is confusing indeed. Would be better to calculate it all because your implied odds are less if the T :heart: as you still could be beat.
      I try it. :)
      You need 5 SB = 2,5 BB implied odds for a profitable call. Let's say you win with the T :spade: .
      If it hits on the turn you will raise and UTG will call.
      UTG bets = 1 BB, MP2 calls 1 BB, you raise, UTG and MP2 call = 4 BB. On the river you get only 1 caller so you gain 5 BB. (I left out the chance of improving to a fullhouse and that he ghit a flush to make it less complicated.)

If the T :heart: comes you are most of the time behind against so many callers. Let's say you win 20% of the time you 5 BB.
      80% of the time you get 3-bet on the turn by UTG. This will knock out MP2.
      So your "implieds" are now 3 UTG, 1 MP2. On the river 2-3 BB by UTG as you raise and might get 3-bet if you hit that fullhouse.
      6-7 BB implied 20% of the time = 1,2-1,4 BB. 80% of the time we lose 4 BB so that are our reverse implied odds = 3,2.
      Overall we lose 1,2-1,4 BB - 3,2 BB = - 1,8-2 BB.

As both situations happen 50% you can say that we win 5 BB and lose 1,8-2 BB each time that is 5+1,8-2 = 6,8-7 / 2 = 3,4-3,5 BB implid odds.
      We need 2,5 BB so we make a profitabe call.

I hope I decribed it not too complicated even if it's asimplification as there are way more factors to be considered. :)

As for the KJ hand not needing protection, are there not enough draws worth protecting against? KT, QT, worse Jx, 6x? Or are those draws so weak that they don't need protecting against v 2 villians?
      Right. That is a bit of a wa/wb situation. Not a lot draws out and if we are behind we don't have a lot outs either.

As opposed to the question 6 TT hand 3 way on the 5:heart: Q:heart: 6:spade: flop where the flush draw is much stronger and therefore protecting the hand from the draw is that much more important?
      Sure protection would be important but the chance is much lower to be ahead here against so many opponents. We also don't get a good chance of protecting. It's better to wait for the turn here as it may change a lot.

And just to clarify your comment - do you mean raise flop, bet turn for free SD is okay with KJ on this board?
      Yes.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Awesome! Thanks ciRith!!! :f_love:

That explanation of the TT hand is perfectly clear and is really valuable in explaining why the call is correct v the answer given which is a little vague and also not really explained in the article.