Strategy for satellite MTT top 20% get trough.

• mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Hi all!

What advice can you give for playing a satellite MTT tournament where top 20% get through? Should it be "surviving at all costs"? Is there any point to get aggressive befor push-or-fold?

Thanks!
  • 5 replies
    • JonathanLittle
      JonathanLittle
      Bronze
      Basically, you shouldnt go out of your wat to bust by repushing light unless you are fairly sure your opponent will fold. Also, in the late stages, it is important to figure out when you can super nit it up and get itm once you have a decent stack size. Good luck.
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      So how tight should it be?

Play only JJ+, Aq+ until the blinds are too high? Then enter push or fold and try to keep stack the same?

I guess there will be less benefit from blinds re-steals as well..

I just never played serious MTT's, so I do not really know how much to adjust my play =\
    • JonathanLittle
      JonathanLittle
      Bronze
      Certainly not nearly that tight. I suggest you watch some of my mtt videos that will be coming out soon and try to get a feel for my standard opening ranges and play slightly tighter than that.
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      Play some DoN's and Triple or Nothings to get a feel of the endgame.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      there's no reason to be that tight (JJ+,AK only) playing satelites, but avoid situations that in an normal mtt you could take in order to get a bigger stack and steal tons of chips.

in the late stage stack sizes are quite important also to note which player knows what he is doing and who isn't, IMO is good to shove light against thinking bigstacks if you need the chips to still survive. and pretty much call really really tight when someone shoves , if you are a comfortable bigstack there's no reason to actually play any hand at all.