Heads up tips!

• 13 replies
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      I would suggest playing HU SnG's exclusively, cash games have killer rake. Basically, there's no standard strategy, just raise with above average hands in position and call tight from the BB. I like to play aggressive, and many HU players don't really understand the game, playing too passively and just bleeding chips. Pot control is also important: you don't want to call a 2nd barrel on the turn with bottom pair middle kicker or something, and you don't want to check your set on two streets only to be left with a tiny pot on the river. Small pots are for small hands, big pots are for big hands.

Aggression is key imo, it gives you an additional way of winning the pot even if you don't have the best hand: by making the opponent fold. Often you'll see passive opponents folding everything but monsters and hope to get you all-in those few times that they re-raise. Meanwhile, you can steal their blinds all of the remaining times when they don't have a strong hand. Just keep pressuring your opponents until they start fighting back. You usually win 200-300 chips from them before they even realize how loose you're raising.

I don't know your roll and/or level of experience, but if you're not fully in control of your FR/SH game, don't switch to HU yet. It's a different game style with moderate variance, and it takes longer to master because every opponent will offer different style and situations to learn from.
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      I'm just starting my heads up career=) and I also decided to play $5 games.

Just remember: Button is your friend. You should never fold a hand from button, because if you just call, you get 1/3 pot odds. Any hand played against 100% range has more than 30% equity, so folding from the button is a mathematical mistake. Just mix your raises and calls (On average I usually raise with top 30% hands).

If you're on BB, however, then you have a problem beacuse you are out of position. In HU you play your opponent. rather than your cards, so position is essential for good play. If you have a good hand, raise about 5BB just to try and win the pot straight away - you DO NOT want to play out of pos. Get ready to go all-in with top 10% or even top 20 depending on your opponent's ranges.

Another key thing is ot adjust to your opponent. Find their weakness and exploit it. Usually you face quite aggresiive opponents who want to steal every pot. In this case let them win small pots and win big ones yourself. Try to provoke their aggression when they are out of pos.
      If the opp is passive, then try stealing as many small pots as possible and do not let him create large pot. Pot control is very important.

HU requires TONNS of patience, so for ex., Probably the last 5 games I lost were all due to lack of patience rather than lack of luck. Probably 80% of games I win at $5 limits are due to lack of opponents patience and their overaggression.

Good luck!
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      Well i stoped cash games.And only playin SnG 5.25$ on stars.
      I just finished my 150 game! won some lost some...lost more ! and ITS ALL ABOUT PATIENCE!

i lost cuz of this actoin..that evryone i played with do it...they keep hiting me wiz tester bets..like they bet min , 20 or 30 ! If i check they bet 20..if i re raise they fold...this bet is makin me nervous..cuz no check after i check! and i dont want to be outplayed! so i keep re raising that sick bet..if they fold it worked if they dont it gets ugly...

sometimes u just dont hit for 6 hands!! u cant just check fold ! and u know they dont have it...what should i do..should i never check again !! or check fold..till i have it! but then he will fold...i'm lost at that post flop play...

my worst hand ever: i had k 9 off i checked he checked

flop : k 8 9 i bet 90 - he goes all in !

he had K K !! and i'm dead !

and i also wanna share wiz u that last weeck, i played 10.50 or 10.75$ deep stack! and i was playin wiz a guy who was playin 11 tables heads up all of them 33.50$ deep stack! is that possible?! 2 play that much of tables? i won after 4 hours ! we both had flushes! is that sort of sick robbots or programme or wutever!! how many tables can u play same time! i'm talking HU ! i max play 4 !

thx 4 ur time..and advices..
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Well, trips of kings is just unlucky.
      But aggr opponents are quite easy to beat. Quite often, they would start staling your bling both in position and out of pos. If they start raising a lot out of pos, then they are putting their stack at risk. just wait for your hand ar try to test-bet them, just don't spend too many chips to see how they play.
      Once I had a v.aggr guy who was raising all the time and i had no playable hands at all. I folded a third of my stack just to stack him as soon as i got a decent hand.
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      Tip num 1: Always have more than fckin 1000 buy in for any Limit ! cuz u never know how many sick pplz will go all in all ! evry time !

just sick ! i will sit out next time wont play ! i wont gamble :( :( :( :(
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      1. don't tilt. 2. wait until your opponent tilts

:D

success guaranteed
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      i lost about 10 heads up in a row! and u wont belive it ! how sick it was!

hitting top 2 pairs ! and losing to a set ! of 3 or 5 ! when u raise and u hit the flop ! A 5 k AND HE PUT U ALL IN ! i never lost my composure!

even tho that i never made my flush, or str8...even that was no raise..i never chase ! just never made it ! i went from 70$ to 10$ in 3 days!

the gd thing its over now!! i deposited some money ! to get me back and just won about 5 in a row and one of them was 5$ heads up 4 players so u win 15$ in that !

i'm gonna stick wiz that limit for now 5.25$ HU 4 players ! if i make it more than 1 times out of 4 ! i'm still winning !

what do u think ?!

Edit BK 170$
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Well, I won my last two by making a backdoor flush. Not proud of it, but that's variance. HU SnG variance.

About those 4man shootouts, it's like comparing SnG to MTT. You cash less often, but when you win, you win bigger. It's more like trying to invest as little as possible for a bigger payout but smaller chance of winning. Imagine you win a normal HU SnG, and instead of collecting your winnings you decide to invest them into a 2x higher BI HU SnG, the only difference is that you don't have to pay the rake for that last one. If you like the format and believe you can play it profitably, then by all means do. Just saying it's richer in variance...
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      10 mins blinds VS Deep stack no blinds inc ! HU !

Whats better ?
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      TwiceT said something smart in his video:
      "I raise any two in the button, until he gives me a reason not to"
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aceonetheriver
      10 mins blinds VS Deep stack no blinds inc ! HU !

Whats better ?
      Its up to you imo. Deep stack no blind inc looks pretty cool, and a bit like more like a cash game environment :P

-Jack
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Deep HU with no blind increase is so sick, u can have fricking 1k hand sessions with someone. I prefer turbos, u have time to overplay ur opponent when the blinds are still small and games don't last long so u can play more of them.
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      In deep stack, isnt better to just play TAG? not 100% TAG, but more tight than normal or turbos HU ?!

cuz the blinds are only 15-30$ , and stacks 1500$ , just wait for that better hand edge, and attack?!