Fixing The Past

• ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Hey there!

I'm writing this blog for a few reason. Hopefully to keep me motivated in analysing my game, posting hands and improving my game otherwise there'd be nothing to report! But mainly to keep myself on track and to act as a sharp reminder that you never win when gambling and if at any point at i feel the need to gamble i can look back at all my (hopefully) hard work and grinding up through the limits. Even though i've been here before i hope i can truely keep myself on track, with a professional mindset towards poker and look less at the profit in the short term but realise that in the long term i could be making huge profits if i just get the play right.

I've tried a few times at playing NL5 but never really got anywhere because i didnt spend time analysing my game and trying to improve that way, so one day after a bad session i decided to try FL 0.05/0.10 and must've hit a real nice heater, i managed to double BR from $30 to $60 and was able to move up a limit, but after that things weren't always going my way and i was losing hands left right and centre, i lost half my BR and reluctantly moved down again to 0.05/0.10 and built back up to $45, i decided then to move back up to 0.10/0.20 even though i didnt have 300 BB for it i still had more than 300 BB for this limit. Anyway things started looking up and i built my roll up to $70. For some still unknown to me reason i decided to gamble at .5/1 HU games and lost all my roll, so i deposited another $60(£45) with the same result - this sent me into a frenzy and i believe i actually do have a gambling problem - so again i deposited $60(£45) with yet still the same result, still tilting i put on $157 (£100) and played 5/T up where i rocketed up to $500. At this point i stopped playing and vowed not to touch poker till i could cash out the money, but one thing lead to another and i started playing small stakes again and after loosing some of my roll i tried 5/T HU to regain it and, yep you guessed it, i lost the lot.

I'm now in debt £200 and techinally i was playing with someone else money as i owed it out which makes it even worse! Alot of you will probably frown up this and me as a person but i'm just sharing to hopefully deter anyone from even thinking about gambling at all, ever!

This leads me to where i was last night. With only 25c left in my account i decided to enter the .25c NL MTT at stars and managed to cash for 33c and also cashed high enough in the 10 FPP MTT and earned 30c which made my total roll a whopping 63c. With such a small amount there is obviously no possibly way i could follow any form of BRM, but it's what i was left with. If i manage to build a roll i'm going to analyse my game as much as possible to look for leaks and flaws whilst also reading articles over and over again.

Armed with my 63c i headed for a 0.02/0.04 FR FL table and managed to build my roll to $1.45 at which point i stopped, reread the article concerning the professional mindset for poker and headed off to bed with a headful of thoughts. On waking up i decided to write down on paper some basic rules for playing a poker session and to abide by these at all times. As the sayin goes "Study, Play, Evaluate" and to help me study things properly, i've decided to read every article then summarise it on paper, then as the article said summarise the summary.

I also decided on keeping my actual playing time at a relatively small amount, trying to aim for anywhere between 300 - 500 hands. This way i believe i'll have a good handful of hands just to look over and fix the leaks but then again not too much to do all at once, this making it easier for me to evaluate everything.

If you've managed to make it this far, i guess i better say thank you for reading and i'll post the results of my first official poker session in the next post.

ABShortland
  • 12 replies
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      For my first session, even though i felt i knew them well enough, i reread all 3 basic FL articles concearing Flop, Turn and River play. After reading each one i stopped and summarised everything i had read and then summarised the summary then moved on and did the same for the next street.

With my first objective done i moved on to playing my sessionw with a starting roll of $1.45, i played a total of 301 hands with some near solid basic play. I started off with 1 table sitting down with 80c (it is advised to sit down with 25 BB but i feel 80c is enough and i can start multi tabling sooner) and soon won enough to open 2 tables and making it easier for me to reach my goal amount of hands without losing concerntration. I played as tight as i solid as i could and the players at this limit really payed me off when i had the best hand so i was soon able to open 3 tables giving me a BR of $2.4. Things kept going my way and i grinded out another 80c, at this point i started to lose concertration slightly and had just reached my minimum of 300 hands, so i decided to wrap it up there and end my session.

After going through my hands i really only did mess up on 5 hands maximum, i had the best basic line when i won a pot and i managed to keep my losses at a minimum. I'll link all the hands here after i get them posted and evaluated just as a personal reminder.

Heres a quick summary and my graph so far (inc my 170 hands from .63 - $1.45)

Session Start Bankroll: $1.45
      Session End Bankroll: $3.28
      Session Profit / Loss: $1.83

ABShortland
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Really hope you will reach the higher limits, I believe you can do it!

Good luck.
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Haven't had chance to play any sessions for a day or 2 but i found the time to sit down and play another session, but have cut it short.

For my Study section i quickly reread the 3 articles on flop turn and river play in the basic section and made notes on my summaries. With such a small BR i just wanted to stick to the basic articles and play as tightly as possible so i didnt lose BB's i couldn't afford in marginal spots.

I had a pretty bad session with a few misplayed hands and a few beats which has made my BR drop to $2.42 .. I already knew which hands were misplayed just after i played them but non the less still went over my hands and it was a pretty bad session over all.

Summary + Graph of my individual session and over all

Session Start Bankroll: $3.28
      Session End Bankroll: $2.42
      Session Profit / Loss: -$0.86

Session Graph:

Graph Overall:

But this is not the end to my poker day, as a very kind player who i will not name donated $30 and shared some kind words :)

So now armed with my new total BR of $32.42 and the kind words of a fellow player, I shall move up to 0.05/0.10 Seeing as i have 300 BB for this limit :)

However i'm going to read through the bronze articles because my BR will be able to handle comfortably little swings and leaks without me going busto :) I Shall be making notes on everything i read, will be watching TerrorBlades Second "In The Beginning Video" and hopefully if i feel i can concerntrate fully i will start my first session of 0.05/0.10 FL FR :)

ABShortland
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      Where did you put all of the beginning capital? :f_o:
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ShadowOfLight1337
      Where did you put all of the beginning capital? :f_o:
      Like i said i have a problem with gambling but i'm trying to work through and conquer it, which i feel like i have a little tonight! ..

So, i had my first session of 0.05/0.10 FR FL today and was super enthusiastic to play! .. I started off by watching Terrorblades video which was a nice watch, big thanks to him :) and meant i could skim over the bronze chart article and the odds & outs article (although i already felt pretty good with them!)

I Then went through the 3 Articles:
      Fundamental Concepts
      Standard Playing Styles Against One Opponent
      &
      Flop Textures

and spent roughly between an hour and a half making notes and summarising things and i felt really ready to go after all this studying and really wanted to play some good solid poker :) ..

However my session wasn't so great and i cut it short just after 176 hands with "-43.52/100" BB/100 and a session loss of $3.83. This would be a classic time for me to feel the need to gamble and win back what i'd lost, but i didnt even stop to think about it. I just wanted to stop, look back at where i'd gone wrong and maybe pick up again in a day or 2 which i think is a huge break through!

I decided to post the hands i was unsure about on the forums and feel like i've posted a few too many, i hope they don't mind! :) .. There was only a 2 or 3 hands i know myself i played badly which should've been standard but i marked them and went through what i should've done so hopefully i wont make the same mistake again next time! :)

So heres a little summary of my session today:

Session Start Bankroll: $32.42
      Session End Bankroll: $28.49
      Session Profit / Loss: $3.83 (There seems to be 10c unaccounted for! :O )

Hands Posted:

0.05/0.10 - KKK, Good enough flop to slowplay? - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - Set of 5's - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - Set of 4's - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - AQ, Top Pair - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - K8o, trips vs flush - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - KQs - Top pair - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - KTs Preflop - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - AQo - 1 card flush draw - Lost
      0.5/0.10 - TT, bad turn easy fold? - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - Q9 2 Pair - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - Set of Q's - Won

Session Graph:

The graph doesn't look too friendly but hopefully i'll soon change that :)

Overall i'm really disappointed with this session, partly because i was expecting too much after putting in abit of study time and mainly because i played some pretty awful poker tbh!

I don't think i'm quite ready yet to handle marginal situations, probably not even standard ones! But hopefully the great people at pokerstrategy will point me in the right direction :)
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Hands Posted:

0.05/0.10 - KKK, Good enough flop to slowplay? - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - Set of 5's - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - Set of 4's - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - AQ, Top Pair - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - K8o, trips vs flush - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - KQs - Top pair - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - KTs Preflop - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - AQo - 1 card flush draw - Lost
      0.5/0.10 - TT, bad turn easy fold? - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - Q9 2 Pair - Lost
      0.05/0.10 - Set of Q's - Won

The only mistake with any of ur plays was the trip Q when u had the chance to cap the betting and not just call. Keep playing as well as this and ul soon have a good BR.
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      Also, I don't think it's correct to check your BR after every session... I think it kinda distracts you from you game. (That's at least how it was for me)
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      I'm glad you didnt tilt :)

Just keep on going like this and you'll win for sure.
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Your hands posted section looks very nice! I think I'll be making it a part of my blog too! (I'll credit u of course :D )
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      Really good and informative blog you started. Keep up this kind of work and you´ll have a killer bankroll to play with. :s_biggrin:
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Hey nice blog, admitting to having problems in the past is a good thing, far better than denying it, wish you goodluck in your games.

Which site are you playing at?
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      How is it going?