BSS Cbet question.

• Smileyphil
      How large should a standard cbet/value bet be?

I have seen some people bet full pot as their standard bet and others bet as low as half the pot. Many people recommend 2/3. Can anyone explain to me the advantages of the different amounts?

I am currently playing around at NL5/NL10. Could I in practice cbet half and value bet pot without people noticing that I am doing this? Surely this would be the most efficient method if our fold equity is the same for any decent bet size.
  • 5 replies
    • csnmf
      depends on board texture and also the opponent rather than the value of your hand.

If you are against a regular you need to balance your size (on NL5/NL10 prob don't need to bother). Balancing the size is so they can't pick up any reads i.e. you can't bet big when you have something, small when you don't.

So in general assuming you have decided to c-bet a board, you can c-bet dry boards i.e. paired boards or the classic K72 rainbow board like 1/2-2/3 pot and this will take it down a large majority of the time because they are so hard to hit so no need to "bluff" big. Wetter boards (assuming you decide to c-bet) should be closer to full pot for protection against draws.

Against bad opponents you can probably get away with c-betting half pot with air full pot with a hand, they are probably playing fit or fold and will look at their hand and say i have a pair i call i don't have a pair i fold no matter how much you bet so you might as well exploit that.
    • Dragar
      2/3 is a good amount.

1/2 is to weak, especially when you usually bet higher. Players will c/r you with air because weak bets sometimes. Or they float OOP then its c/c turn if you still don't hit and then they bet into you on the river and your faced with a tough choice.

Its better to make all bets big. If you think villain must have a piece of the flop then you can skip the c-bet

For example some kind of suited connector stuff sucks. If villain is drawing with overs he calls. If villain has overpair he calls. If you think that because of the board villain will not fold it does not make sense to c-bet. You can always check behind and bet on any high card that comes on the turn or so and does not complete the draw.
    • Jaissica
      Simply put, a cbet should be whatever you would bet if you had a made hand on the given flop.

Thus, into a flop of -

2 :spade: 4 :heart: 6 :diamond:

By cbetting you represent an overpair. So, you bet whatever you would bet if you had an overpair.

Into a flop of -

2 :spade: 4 :heart: K :diamond:

By cbetting you represent a pair of kings. So, you bet whatever you would bet if you held a pair of kings.
    • Mstlc
      2 T A

Would be a flop on which you wanna make a c-bet a bit closer to the pot bet (80-90%) or even just a flat pot bet. The board is really drawy there and if they do hold a hand like KQ there you wanna make em pay for their draw...

On a rainbow board without direct straight danger (K 8 2 for example) you can just make a normal 2/3 pot bet.
    • mbml
      i will bet 2/3 potsize on dry boards, 75% on drawheavy boards

i will increase the size of my bet slightly if im against more than one opponent.

i will bet 1/2 potsize on dry boards against shortstacks, and 2/3 on drawheavy boards