Silver Article on C-bets - I'm confused

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      This quote is taken from the article on continuation bets from the NL Silver section.:

"Application from out of position

The major difference between a continuation bet in position and one OOP is the ability to take a free card if the continuation bet does not succeed. This makes a continuation bet a better choice in some OOP situations where you might have taken a free card from in position. It also makes check somewhat of a better choice OOP since you know you won't get any free cards in later rounds."

I'm not sure I entirely understand the final sentance. Could anyone explain? It seems to contradict the previous sentance...

Thanks in advance.

Tim
  • 2 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey Tim64,

This article is really old (over 2 years) and the translation is admittedly quite bad.

It should read like this

"The major difference between a continuation bet in position versus one OOP is the ability to take a free card instead of firing a continuation bet - as well as winning the chance of taking a free card on the turn. Since this is not possible OOP, a continuation bet will often be the best choice of action in situations where you would have taken a free card IP. It also means checking might be the best solution in certain situations, since you can't 'buy' a free card for later rounds - by firing a continuation bet.
      "

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks SoyCD, as always, for the super-fast response.

Regards,

Tim

edit: p.s. did you already amend the mistake - because it seems to have changed on my screen?