Question

• funjubulus
      funjubulus
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm almost ashamed not to know this but it seems to confuse me and comes up very infrequently so here goes...
      I'm holding A 10h UTG and on at a very easy table so i raise. One other caller. Flop shows 7h 8d 9s and more betting goes on blah blah, Turn shows 9c and bet etc river shows 8c.

So i'm essentially holding nothing but i think my opponent is also weak so i raise, he calls and shows Ks 7s.

I won the pot with 88 99. Why? He's hit a pair (77) and i'm holding A high.

Is it because there were higher pairs on the table and i just had the higher kicker?
  • 4 replies
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello funjubulus,

Due to the fact that there was two pair on the board that was better than the players made hands then it goes to the person with the highest card, which in this case was you with the Ace kicker.

And dont feel ashamed to be asking questions as this is who you gain extra knowledge and become a better player in the future.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Originally posted by funjubulus
      Hi,

I'm almost ashamed not to know this but it seems to confuse me and comes up very infrequently so here goes...
      I'm holding A 10h UTG and on at a very easy table so i raise. One other caller. Flop shows 7h 8d 9s and more betting goes on blah blah, Turn shows 9c and bet etc river shows 8c.

So i'm essentially holding nothing but i think my opponent is also weak so i raise, he calls and shows Ks 7s.

I won the pot with 88 99. Why? He's hit a pair (77) and i'm holding A high.

Is it because there were higher pairs on the table and i just had the higher kicker?
      Exactly, because you use any 5 cards from ur hole cards or community cards to make the best possible hand, his pair of 7s is exempt now that 88 and 99 are on the board, they have 2 pair 8's and 9s with a king kicker, but you have an ace kicker.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Don't be ashamed mate. I tried the exact same when I was starting out.

Think of it this way:

1. You both have two hole cards and 5 on the board that are in common.

2. You each pick 5 cards of the seven and make the best possible hand.

His hand:
      He takes the two pair 8's and 9's from the board because that's the highest combination he can make. His K is kicker.

Your hand:
      You can also make the same two pair, but hold the A kicker.

Btw. AT UTG is always a fold if you were playing full ring ;)
    • funjubulus
      funjubulus
      Bronze
      Thanks everybody!