2 Days In

• D4NNYP
      D4NNYP
      Bronze
      My first post and I'm going to bore some of you with my tale, but please bear with me as I don't believe I am alone, just looking for some general feed back and help.

Ok so I excitedly received my $50 starting capital a couple of days ago and got to work...

I had opened an account at Pokerstars a year ago... So I come with a bit of experience. My initial $50 is still in tact, so I consider myself to be doing ok at the micro limits... but my BR wasn't going up and I was getting bored and frustrated that I wasn't making a profit. Which is when I came across PS and the SSS.

The system was new to me, so I read up and passed the test no trouble, it was generally stuff I already knew... So I applied for the capital with Partypoker as I didn't have an account there..

I re read the Beginner notes and was keen to get into this new system and rack up my party points..

Then the problems began...

1.I couldn't find a full ring table with less than 3 SSS players on it... I now realise PP was not best site to start on but its done now...
      2.I plumped myself at table with as few a SSS players as possible but instantly felt uncomfortable with the Partypoker platform, just generally not knowing my way round. This resulted in mistakes.
      3.I did start to get used the platform fairly quickly but I was still struggling to come to grips with SSS even though it was not a million miles from how I played anyway. But there were a couple of changes that threw me. This resulted in more mistakes.
      4.A little further down the line I start to feel better. I have a couple of tables open and I believe I am playing the system correct. But I feel my play is too predictable, and I get a complex that everybody knows my system, they are just not calling my bets and i'm getting no action for what seems like ages...
      5.I think Tilt has set in X( , I have played about 300 hands by now and have lost all faith in the SSS, so I decide to try and play my old way with full stacks...even though it goes against good BR management,.. I think sod it, this is free money if I blow I blow it... (this actually makes me lol now). Anyway 1 bad beat and a proper Tilted call and I have lost half my capital... And I walk away... upset! :(

Having spent a bit of time away from the tables I go back and decide to give the SSS another go, because I really want it to work. I carry on playing for a while and recoup about $1 in 150 hands... I even feel comfortable enough to add a table to make it 3.

Yesterday I have another free evening so after watching videos and re reading about SSS I feel good again and hit the tables... 580 and hands later and I'm down another $3.. I made couple of mistakes (on freehands!! 1 occasion when my A9 ran into a slow played AK up to the turn) and a few bad beats that cost me my stack but other than those I feel I played the system.

I have about $23 dollars left but I'm concerned I'm leaking chips, or is the system so tight that a couple of mistakes like that costs you? Or hopefully its just a normal down swing..

I should drop down a level but can't play the SSS on the NL5, and is it right you don't earn Partypoints?

Also caught between the dilemma of learning or playing... To earn the bonus on Party poker you need to play a lot, and even though I've made good progress in this regard but I know there will be times when I won't get to play for days, so I have to make hay while the sun is shining...

Should I give up on the bonus and concentrate on studying and building my bankroll?

If your still here... thanks for your time...

Dan..
  • 10 replies
    • flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      I'm playing BSS on Party Poker at NL5, you will still get party points, its 10 points for every 580 raked hands. So trying to gain 300 party points is going to be hard going in 90 days unless you have plenty of time on your hands. I used to chase bonuses but since Party changed their points allocation I decided to concentrate on my game rather than playing 6/8 tables at once, now making more money playing less tables than I was before overall. During the remaining days of the bonus you could still make money off whats left in your account, then forfeit the $50 bonus and carry on playing with whats left. I started with $50 4 months ago and now have $240 in my account. Use the study material on this site and post hands your not sure how to play in the forum. Good luck.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Play 10,000 hands of SSS and then get back to us. Your win rate won't even begin to converge until about 50,000 so don't sweat something as small as 500 hands.

If you can't learn to be patient then you don't have what it takes to be a winning poker player. It's just as important as BRM.

Should I give up on the bonus and concentrate on studying and building my bankroll?
      Yes, the bonus is extremely hard to clear unless you devote many hours every single day playing many tables. If you have a job or family you probably should forget about it.
    • D4NNYP
      D4NNYP
      Bronze
      Thanks for the tips guys
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Think of it this way -

Average hands per hour per table is about 50. Lets say you are confident enough to 3-table NL5 SSS, so we have 150 hands / hour.

Average winrate of ABC SSS vs idiots and fish is going to be around 5BB/100. So we have an expected winrate of approximately 7.5BB per hour, on NL5 giving us 37.5 cents / hour in expected profit.

Now at the end of your 3rd hour of a given session you get a bit tired, bored tiltish, or are distracted by the cat running past your keyboard, or your partner whinging that you havnt done the dishes yet. You shove AQo or 99 from late position against someone's open raise in MP1 even though the strategy says not to. You lose a stack ($1).

Over the course of the 3 hours you made $1.125 at 5BB/100. In one moment of sillyness you threw away $1 of that, leaving your overall profit for 3 hours work at 13 cents.

So yes - one mistake is all it takes to turn a winning session (and thus a winning player, if they dont learn from them) into a loser.
    • TheMadviking
      TheMadviking
      Bronze
      Hi D4nnyp,

I've been playing now for just over a month using the $50 from PokerStrategy. Like you, I brought some experience to the table form other sites namely Full Tilt and Poker Stars. I have to admit this was only with play chips. I have been following the SSS 99.5% and I have managed to double my BR in a month :D
      The 0.5% of the time I deviated, I got burned. There was a period of time I flatlined and actually dropped, but I hung in ther and now I,ve been on a steady climb. I, too, am not chasing the bonus. It's coming summer now and I just won't have the time for long sessions to get the points. I'm just working on building my BR so I can move up in the levels. So, hang in there and follow the SSS. It works!!!

Lars
    • D4NNYP
      D4NNYP
      Bronze
      Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.. and please keep them coming...

These along with picking up $9 dollars last night... I'm feeling more positive already....

:D
    • D4NNYP
      D4NNYP
      Bronze
      Just an update and to say thank you for the advice...

I've stuck at SSS and it seems to be working... I'm now showing a profit of a whopping $7... considering i was $30 down 15 odd days ago i take this as a success...

Also feeling comfortably with the system, enough to play 5 or 6 tables at a time, which should see me clear the bonus too... woo hoo...
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Good job :)
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by D4NNYP
      Also feeling comfortably with the system, enough to play 5 or 6 tables at a time, which should see me clear the bonus too... woo hoo...
      Don't forget to read the Gold articles on SSS as soon as you qualify. The concepts there will bump you win rate up a bit. (After a brief downturn while you are getting used to the new information of course. :s_biggrin: )
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Originally posted by D4NNYP
      Don't forget to read the Gold articles on SSS as soon as you qualify. The concepts there will bump you win rate up a bit. (After a brief downturn while you are getting used to the new information of course. :s_biggrin: )

So true lol