Interesting Hand of the Day - Part I

• Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Every now and then i will post an interesting hand into this board. And i would be happy if we could start some kind of discussion about the hand.

Just post your thoughts about the hand.

- Do you think it is played correctly or are their mistakes?
      - What would be your plan for the hand if you think it is played bad.
      - And of course Why do you think it is played good or bad.
      - What could be the possible holding of your opponent and so on...

Don't be afraid to say something that could be wrong. Talking about hands will improve your game quickly.

Here we go:

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em [color:#0000FF](6 handed)[/color] link

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q:heart: , A:diamond: .
      UTG calls, [color:#666666]2 folds[/color], [color:#CC3333]Hero raises[/color], [color:#666666]1 folds[/color], BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J:heart: , A:heart: , 6:heart: [color:#0000FF](3 players)[/color]
      BB checks, [color:#CC3333]UTG bets[/color], Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 7:heart: [color:#0000FF](3 players)[/color]
      BB checks, [color:#CC3333]UTG bets[/color], Hero calls, BB folds.

River: (6.75 BB) 4:diamond: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      [color:#CC3333]UTG bets[/color], [color:#CC3333]Hero raises[/color], UTG calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB.

UTG = aggressive fish
      BB = passive fish
  • 17 replies
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      so raise or call the flop? :D
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      first i thought.. wtf bad play...

but after reviewing it i like it very much.

with calling the flop BB can call a hand which is nearly drawing dead (i think he has quiet more often a pair than a FD bigger 9) and you let UTG bluffing into you.
      on the turn the same thing you are only behind vs a Kh and if BB has a small heart he will call you (probably fold to a raise)

the question is what do you do if BB raises now the turn? calldown? and if UTG 3-bets? ^^

the river is nice to get the maximum :)

who played that hand?
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      But don't we want to put pressure on a possible K of :heart: on the Flop with a raise? :D
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      How did "we" play before this hand - how do our opponents look upon us?

If we played TAG i would have raised both flop and turn (UTG is a LAG fish who probably call way too much, just to see the next card). I would call a 3-bet on the flop and cap the turn if UTG raises.

If we have been LP/TP it's a little more difficult, since i can't tell how fishy UTG is - has he been observing his opponents? Or does he only pay attention to his own hands? - Well played then i guess

BB = Ace with low kicker (no heart)
      UTG = 9xT:heart: , T:heart: Jx or T:heart: Ax
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      I would raise the Flop and since im drawing to a flush and im holding AA atm. If he re-raised me on the flop i just called and folded if i didnt make my flush. Fished are to unpredictable :D so a calldown wouldnt be such a big mistake i think?
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Stefan1000
      But don't we want to put pressure on a possible K of :heart: on the Flop with a raise? :D
      no? ;)
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
    • jpbothawyn777
      jpbothawyn777
      Bronze
      ill try

But havn't played short handed or at this level.

I think iwould raise on flop. On the turn i would 3 bet to see where i am if he caps i would just call down.

Cheers
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Actually this hand is perfect!

There is no need to raise the flop. Only the K:heart: is a threat so actually you can start to slowplay here. With the Q in a different suite a raise on the flop would be the best choice but not in this case. We know from UTG that he is a very aggressive player, such players love dangerous boards like this. So we can be sure that he will bet the turn also and most of the time even the River with his weak A or weak single heart. A raise on the turn would only give the other players the chance to have an easy exit out of the hand. But with our flat call we especially get extra value from the BB.

So .. nice hand! :)
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Actually this hand is perfect!

There is no need to raise the flop. Only the K:heart: is a threat so actually you can start to slowplay here. With the Q in a different suite a raise on the flop would be the best choice but not in this case. We know from UTG that he is a very aggressive player, such players love dangerous boards like this. So we can be sure that he will bet the turn also and most of the time even the River with his weak A or weak single heart. A raise on the turn would only give the other players the chance to have an easy exit out of the hand. But with our flat call we especially get extra value from the BB.

So .. nice hand! :)

and a nice read from me with my "no?" *g*
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Yap exactly,

nice one Cirith.

I must admit the first moment i saw the hand i thought "raise flop" :D
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Yap exactly,

nice one Cirith.

I must admit the first moment i saw the hand i thought "raise flop" :D
      me too.. but after seeing the "reads" i thought twice about is

who played this hand?
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      yeah who played that hand and what did utg have ?

btw:
      i think posting this "hand of the day"-threads is a good idea
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      I will continue to post interesting hands for some time.

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • emrah999
      emrah999
      Black
      hello everybody, i played this hand and i feel kind of proud that the very first "hand of the day" is from me :D

reads: utg aggressive but not a maniac, BB passive fish, utgs aggression is a factor in my turnplay so please keep that in mind.

my image should be tag i guess, thats how i played but i guess noone really payed attention.

at first i wanted to raise the flop too, but then i thought:

utg donks into me on that flop, i assumed that he has me beat 60% of the time with twopair, set or even a little made flush. so a raise would protect his hand most of the time, not mine. and by flat calling i keep the "i have two random cards and its just one bet"-BB in the hand so i get 2 SB's profit on the flop but only pay one SB myself. and i can do whatever i want, the K :heart: does not fold, ever, and i am happy if a small :heart: stays in for one bet that might fold if facing two.

now the turn:
      i hit my flush, i could raise here but that would make BB fold almost everytime and even UTG could fold 2-pair type of hands, because it would be obvious that i hit my flush on turn. and since utg is aggressive i was sure he would keep betting the river so i knew that i would get at least one more bet from utg on the river by not raising the turn.
      and with that betting pattern my hand is a little more "hidden" and i was hoping to get payed off from non-flush hands on the river, which happened.

Results in white below:
      UTG J6 no heart